Sign in to follow this  
Rb4276

Txt 2 with brushless

With the weak gearboxes do you think a 13.5 brushless is to powerful to put in my txt 2

I've run a Castle 4600 setup in both my TXT-1 and TXT-2 and not experienced any failure. The main, center transmission has been flawless. The axles do show some wear however. Mainly, the 3rd gear in, the BC18 Drive Gear. The gear has a semicircular hole that locks it on shaft BC15. This hole get wallowed out and sloppy over time. The gears may be metal but seem to be the same garbage pot metal Tamiya has consistently used over the years. Most times, its not and issue but in a truck the size and weight of the TXT, that little semicircular hole takes a beating when the power is turned up. Its probably not an issue on mild applications like twin Sport Tuned motors but on the relatively potent 4600, it was. The 13.5 being less powerful, might be ok. I run twin HPI Firebolts now to preserve the drivetrain as I'm sure, in typical Tamiya fashion, parts will be discontinued and harder to source as time goes on.

Thanks, on facebook numerous told me 13.5 isnt sufficient enough to power the truck.  I was told to use something in the 3000-4000kv range. I actually have 2 castle 4600kv in my other cars i could try. What do you use to cover the extra motor hole? I was thinking maybe a castle sct 3800 kv set up and turn the punch down

How is the speed and torque with the hpi? I have 2 of them also both hardly used i bought 2 years ago for another car. I kind of felt they were hit and miss depending on gearing. 

I was told on Clodtalk that the twin Firebolts calculated out to be in the low 3000 KV range IIRC. I've never personally had an issue with Firebolts, but I won't pretend that I haven't read others have. I figured they were cheap and worth a chance. They aren't actually too bad in my Agrios with 19T pinions and stock Agrios wheels/tires. The TXTs are geared pretty low overall. They were slower than the the Castle 4600 but not as dramatic as I thought it would be. The 4600 was quicker but not a total uncontrollable rocket-ship either. I agree, turning up the punch control should help preserve the drivetrain as well as avoiding abrupt launches and stops on higher traction surfaces. Oh, I just covered the extra hole with a bit of ABS but some lexan might work just as well.

• Like 1

If you guys are running castle ESCs be sure to try out the torque control feature. This is different from punch control and is my number one feature to preserve the drivetrain on my clod. 

• Like 1

I run a Castle 1/8 scale 2200kv in my TXT-2 and it's an absolute beast torque wise.  I mostly run it on 2s and the speed is good enough, but when I want to go fast I throw in a 3s pack and it just flies.  As Saito said, the transmission is fine with brushless power, but you will have diff & gear issues at some point.  I usually tear the axles down once a year to check everything over.  The worst thing is the 3 small differential screws, they seem to loosen up on their own no matter what I do (threadlock, glue, etc).  You'll know they've come loose when the diffs start clicking on acceleration.  

To cover the other side of the transmission I just cut a piece of lexan and drill holes so it can mount in the motor slots. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

I run a Castle 1/8 scale 2200kv in my TXT-2 and it's an absolute beast torque wise.  I mostly run it on 2s and the speed is good enough, but when I want to go fast I throw in a 3s pack and it just flies.  As Saito said, the transmission is fine with brushless power, but you will have diff & gear issues at some point.  I usually tear the axles down once a year to check everything over.  The worst thing is the 3 small differential screws, they seem to loosen up on their own no matter what I do (threadlock, glue, etc).  You'll know they've come loose when the diffs start clicking on acceleration.  

To cover the other side of the transmission I just cut a piece of lexan and drill holes so it can mount in the motor slots. 

Thanks, after the summer i will take out my 2 superstocks rzs and adda brushless system. Probaly the castle sct 3800kv or something similar sensored. 

The Castle SCT setup should be great in that truck and will keep parts breakage to minimal on 2s.  Good luck with the conversion it's an awesome truck.  I have a few TXT-1s and always seem to run my TXT-2, just like it more.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 5:31 PM, Saito2 said:

I was told on Clodtalk that the twin Firebolts calculated out to be in the low 3000 KV range IIRC. I've never personally had an issue with Firebolts, but I won't pretend that I haven't read others have. I figured they were cheap and worth a chance. They aren't actually too bad in my Agrios with 19T pinions and stock Agrios wheels/tires. The TXTs are geared pretty low overall. They were slower than the the Castle 4600 but not as dramatic as I thought it would be. The 4600 was quicker but not a total uncontrollable rocket-ship either. I agree, turning up the punch control should help preserve the drivetrain as well as avoiding abrupt launches and stops on higher traction surfaces. Oh, I just covered the extra hole with a bit of ABS but some lexan might work just as well.

I ran it today for 30 minutes after i tore it down to check the brushes in my superstock rz motors and cleaned them up. The motors had stopped working last week. It is definitely a fun truck and glad i weny with it instead of a clod. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the TXT comes across as a much more realistic model than the rather plasticky Clod Buster. I messed with Clods a bit, but being motor-on-axle, they just don't quite react like the real trucks do as the TXT does. Mod Clods begin to look even more unrealistic, so I keep mine stock now. A stock Clod emulates the original, bouncy, first-gen trucks pretty well. 

I'm just after that sweet spot in the TXT trucks that makes them fast enough to be entertaining but not too powerful as to cause significant wear on the parts. They are heavy, dense trucks with a real sense of mass about them, just like the real thing. Besides, if I want to go stupid-fast, that's what my old used Emaxx is for.

• Like 1

Agreed, no need to go warp speed in a TXT.  You'll start breaking stuff trying to chase an EMaxx.  I have a Mad Force when I want to go crazy, that thing is just nuts and its solid axle so still pretty cool.

The 1/8 scale brushless setup in a TXT is great.  You dont have parts-breaking speed, but a ton of torque which is what counts in a monster anyway.  Bonus with the 8th scale motor is you cant get it hot no matter how hard you try.

• Like 1