I've noticed on Facebook groups  that there's been a lot of reports of brushless GoolRC ESCs catching fire or just melting themselves.

I recently bought a 3800kV 60A combo for my "White Special" and noticed that it was no faster on 3s than 2s. In my Monster Truggy, a similar rig goes bonkers on 3s. However, the ESCs do differ externally, the new one looks the same as the super budget OCDAY or the brandless items.

I'll be avoiding GoolRC from now one but the question I need answering is which combo do I go up to, for those on a budget?

Thanks.

• Like 2

I've 'only' seen 3 so far, which isn't that bad considering how many people are running them. At under £30 for an brushless combo, they aren't going to be of the same quality as , say castle.

I had mine thermal when running on the beach,  but no magic smoke as yet.

I was eyeing up some 1/8 scale esc's on hobbyking, a 6s Lipo compatable 120a for £45 (or a 150a for £60) 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-x-car-beast-series-esc-1-8-scale-120a.html?countrycode=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnNvaBRCmARIsAOfZq-1vZRJJiHl7YiCMbreQpvPP0WFp1a3egltQ9wZLhwOgfnbc_XKWDnoaAnFxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've 'only' seen 3 so far, which isn't that bad considering how many people are running them. At under £30 for an brushless combo, they aren't going to be of the same quality as , say castle.

I had mine thermal when running on the beach,  but no magic smoke as yet.

I was eyeing up some 1/8 scale esc's on hobbyking, a 6s Lipo compatable 120a for £45 (or a 150a for £60) 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-tm-x-car-beast-series-esc-1-8-scale-120a.html?countrycode=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnNvaBRCmARIsAOfZq-1vZRJJiHl7YiCMbreQpvPP0WFp1a3egltQ9wZLhwOgfnbc_XKWDnoaAnFxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That might be worth a look. I've used their Turnigy boat systems before but that was at the other end of stupid 5485 1100kV and 180A constant ESC, that's all water cooled, so that's cheating.

I've just had a look at the official GoolRC Shop on AliExpress and most of their ESCs now look like the generic blue or orange boxes on eBay. 

• Like 1

I was thinking 1/8 , as I'm pushing the esc's more and more and only a matter of time until they wave the white flag 🙄

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

I was thinking 1/8 , as I'm pushing the esc's more and more and only a matter of time until they wave the white flag 🙄

...or red flame?  I remember how you got some good speed though!  

I have GoolRC 3500KV, 60A combo.  ESC doesn't even get warm on 2S.  But I've got to keep an eye out for fire...

I was looking to get another combo.  But now I see a lot of 7200KV motors with 25A ESC.  The motor gets twice as fast, but ESC gets half the strength.  That sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially on 3S.  I guess they decided cut some corners by using 25A instead of 60A.  

For under 5000KV motors, I think 60A ESC is plenty. Here is a Hobbyking brand ESC. If I ever ditch GoolRC ESC, I'll get this one since it's inexpensive. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-brushless-car-esc-2s-4s-60a-w-reverse.html

Or a Trackstar ESC that has no fan!  This one is for sensored motors though...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-sportsman-60a-1-10th-scale-sensored-brushless-car-esc.html

• Like 1

I think the 25A Gool systems are for 1/18th cars.

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

For under 5000KV motors, I think 60A ESC is plenty. 

I generally go for the, more is better approach, my thinking is that the esc will be less stressed , more control features and run cooler. 

• Like 1

Having another look around, it seems like the days of the matches combo are fading. GoolRC were the champions of the cheap combo, there's very little listed on their shop. I guess we'll all have to be a bit more tech-savvy and match our our equipment. There's still a lot of 1/8 combos around though, this seems to be a Hobbywing area.

• Like 1

It's only the bashers I've got same brand esc and motor, the race cars are both different. (Although my first ones were speed passion combos)

3 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

It's only the bashers I've got same brand esc and motor, the race cars are both different. (Although my first ones were speed passion combos)

There's lots of lovely higher end gear out there, non of which I can afford. The SkyRc Leopard V2 combo is nice and affordable, but being 540 with fins, 380 size internals, is a bit like a having an old two-stroke bike, all revs and not much torque.

That design is handy for DTs though, from a cooling perspective. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

There's lots of lovely higher end gear out there, non of which I can afford.

All my higher end stuff is second hand, muchmore fleta pro - £50, LRP flow W/T - £50, both of those heading towards £200 new! 

Had a V2 /9t in a Dark Imapct, didn't think it ran too bad tbh,  but certainly not the castle that was in the other one.🙄

I have a HobbyWing 10BL60 that is on its third vehicle now.  A monster truck,  4wd desert buggy,  and now a stadium truck.  I have nothing but good to say about it.  Far superior to the GoolRC 60a esc I had that smoked on its third run.

I am looking at the 10BL120 right now for my TT02B,  as it is sensored,  and a great bargain at only $55.  Not sure where that falls for you in your country.

This site is always touting the HW1060 for brushed combos,  but I rarely hear anybody mention them for brushless.

Go with hobbywing gear, all the goolrc and skyrc stuff I’ve had was either slow or crap. Everything I’ve had in the last 3 years of hobbywing has always met my expectations. 

Juls

I was just going to add my GoolRC experiences, this seems like a good thread!

I started out with the 4300kv 3650 & 60a ESC combo (non finned motor) 

It ran well in many cars, with 3s pushing up the speeds a lot. All my entrys on the top 10 thread are with GoolRC kit. 

I then got their 5200kv motor, but was worried it may cook the 60a ESC. So got another 4300kv with 60a esc as a back up.

I have used the 5200kv in quite a few cars now & is been fine with the 60a ESCs even with 3s for speed running. But it has always been in cars that have the motor far away from the ESC. 

The only problem I have had was with the TT-02

the ESC is right next to the motor in that chassis so it’s sucking in hot air from the hot motor & I found later that chassis design being so low with the body covering it also meant the cooling fan had sucked in a lot of grass clippings blocking the fins under the fan, hence the smoke at the end of that video!

To get a new 60a ESC I picked up a 3900kv motor combo, they don’t seem so popular being the middle option so I got it for £20 on eBay.

But the 3900kv actually seems a very good option, the GF-01 is very hard on the motor / ESC as it had so much traction (I have diff putty in too) the brakes are also very effective & that puts a lot of heat back into the ESC / motor.

With a 4300kv the GF-01 was getting a bit warm with 2s, but it seemed much better with the 3900kv & 60a ESC. Here is the 3900kv with a 18t pinion the WR-01 & G6

The Blackfoot there ran 19mph with the 2s in, a perfect bashing speed! I didn’t test the G6 speed but it will be much the same. 

• Like 2

@Andyrt200 is your Konghead converted to wider arms? Cool vid, it's always nice to see someones kids enjoying their rc's too.

Just now, Biz73 said:

@Andyrt200 is your Konghead converted to wider arms? Cool vid, it's always nice to see someones kids enjoying their rc's too.

Yes we built it like that from new with the parts from the WT-01. I wanted the extra suspension travel, have had a GF-01 & seeing what a difference converting just the rear on that to wide made. 

The body on the WT-01 is really my daughters, but its not long before my son takes over the controls! I do occasionally get a look in ;)

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 8:28 PM, Juggular said:

But now I see a lot of 7200KV motors with 25A ESC.  The motor gets twice as fast, but ESC gets half the strength.  That sounds like a recipe for disaster, especially on 3S. 

Sorry very late reply, but as stated they are actually much smaller motors, probably with a number like 2430.  That is the physical size 24mm dia x 30mm long. 

The 540 size is 3650 (36mm dia x 50mm long), they are the ones I run.

It would be interesting to see what difference a 3660 made, guess that is a 550 size motor & would fit most cars....

• Like 1