ThunderDragonCy

TRF211 3 Gear Laydown

Looks good, so I take it thats the gearbox casing and you use all the original stuff and it lays it down and moves the motor forward?

My only issue is, this just encourages carpet racing which is just onroad with bumps!  It does however give the TRF211 a new lease on life, which should be encouraged

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Looks good, so I take it thats the gearbox casing and you use all the original stuff and it lays it down and moves the motor forward?

Actually the only original part is the black battery stop/transmission brace at the front. Gearbox, brace dog bone and shock tower are all my design. Shock tower I will get done by fibre Lyte, the rest I'll get from shapeways. It's designed to use the stock 3 gear internals (I didn't go for an over sized idler which a lot of others do) but it's sized for the TA06 gear diff. The motor plate is from the FF03R which also runs a 3 gear forward motor. Might eventually use another brands plate but none of them seem to allow a gear cover which FF03R plate at least gives an option for. 

This will require the removal of the right side battery upright to clear the spur gear and new holes for the battery stop. It will leave room for a longitudinally mounted shorty with scope move 20mm fore/aft. ESC and Rx will go on the battery plate which I will also have to design and get from fibre Lyte.

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

My only issue is, this just encourages carpet racing which is just onroad with bumps!  It does however give the TRF211 a new lease on life, which should be encouraged

Looking at set up sheets from pros 3 gear laydown seems to be the preference for astro and high bite clay too.

8 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Innovations ! :wub:

Very nice of you, but not really innovation. It's all been done by other brands. This is adaptation/development. Thanks though.

3 hours ago, TenzoR said:

looks good, I'm hoping I can adapt it for the 201XM

No reason why it shouldn't as it will clear all the rear suspension blocks. I don't has an XM/XR chassis plate so I don't know about the differences but my guess is that it will be easier as you don't have moulded in uprights to move. Don't know how easy it is to source the 211 battery stop separately from the tub though. I might need to design a full motor brace/battery stop from 201. Would be interested in your ideas here.

Thanks fellas. Glad it's not just hand waving, fun though that is!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TenzoR said:

looks good, I'm hoping I can adapt it for the 201XM

Actually there's a shot of a guy on the TRF Off Road Facebook group who has put a Yokomo YZ2 CAL2 rear end on his 201XM if you are looking for laydown options.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Looking at set up sheets from pros 3 gear laydown seems to be the preference for astro and high bite clay too.

Yep, you're onto something with this. Kyosho have just announced the Ultima RB7 and it only comes with laydown trans. Standup and rear are optional extras. Losi 22 4.0 SR is laydown only too,  although I assume could convert to standup using parts from the regular 22 4.0

With the trend towards high traction tracks laydown are becoming the norm.

Do you have a TRF211 to convert? Will this work on your DN01?

30 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yep, you're onto something with this. Kyosho have just announced the Ultima RB7 and it only comes with laydown trans. Standup and rear are optional extras. Losi 22 4.0 SR is laydown only too,  although I assume could convert to standup using parts from the regular 22 4.0

With the trend towards high traction tracks laydown are becoming the norm.

Do you have a TRF211 to convert? Will this work on your DN01?

Yeah, it does seem the norm these days. I also think with the big thing in the USA being 17.5 stock corner speed is what it's all about rather than traction. 

I have a TRF211 tub and parts I picked up cheap from one of the Asian mail order places when I was buying some other bits. It's the 201XMW conversion kit. I originally got it to see if I could fit an FF03R transmission but that is surprisingly different to the 201X transmission despite looking very similar. Once that wouldn't work I started playing with some other ideas. I like designing things so here we are. Won't fit the DN01 but should work on an XR/XM deck.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 3:55 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

No reason why it shouldn't as it will clear all the rear suspension blocks. I don't has an XM/XR chassis plate so I don't know about the differences but my guess is that it will be easier as you don't have moulded in uprights to move. Don't know how easy it is to source the 211 battery stop separately from the tub though. I might need to design a full motor brace/battery stop from 201. Would be interested in your ideas here.

Thanks fellas. Glad it's not just hand waving, fun though that is!

The Tamiya TRF201 is probably one of the most confusing line up from Tamiya themselves.

From what I gather the Tamiya XR+XM conversion set will not necessary make a TRF201XMW (or still called TRF201XM in TamiyaUSA). The chassis, diff cases are different. 

The TRF211XM conversion kit requires you to start from a TRF201XMW (or TRF201XM kit) so basically if you have the original Tamiya TRF201 + XR+XM conversion set it might not work. I might buy 211 conversion kit just to see ... :)

• Like 1

@TenzoR I don't suppose you could measure the width (distance between hole centres across the car) and heights (above the deck) of the camber link holes on your 201xm shock tower could you? Would be good to put these in the proper place on my design. Thanks.

17 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@TenzoR I don't suppose you could measure the width (distance between hole centres across the car) and heights (above the deck) of the camber link holes on your 201xm shock tower could you? Would be good to put these in the proper place on my design. Thanks.

Sure will do .. this weekend is a bit tough but I should be able to give you a measurement next week :)

5 hours ago, TenzoR said:

Sure will do .. this weekend is a bit tough but I should be able to give you a measurement next week :)

I am on holiday at the moment so next week will be spot on thanks. Just thinking about things I need to finish off version 1 and send it to print when I am back.

Had a day to myself so did a load more work on this. Yokomo 43t idler and motor plate, lots of detail changes and re-arrangements to check everything fits and clears. Going to let it sit for a day or two, but I think I'm ready to get one from Shapeways and see if it works:

TRF211 3 Gear laydown gearcaseTRF211 3 Gear laydown gearcaseTRF211 3 Gear laydown gearcaseTRF211 3 Gear laydown gearcase

On 8/3/2018 at 2:56 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I am on holiday at the moment so next week will be spot on thanks. Just thinking about things I need to finish off version 1 and send it to print when I am back.

so i was looking at it all night and I'm unsure exactly what I'm measuring... perhaps I'm dense :( would you be kind enough to provide a diagram of what is exactly you wanted?

1. the width (distance between hole centres across the car) - Do you mean the 4 screw holes that the rear shock tower screws on the gear box or the two block aluminum alignment pins from the gear box? 

2. heights (above the deck) of the camber link holes on your 201xm shock tower - I'm guess the lower holes are fine? 

4 hours ago, TenzoR said:

so i was looking at it all night and I'm unsure exactly what I'm measuring... perhaps I'm dense :( would you be kind enough to provide a diagram of what is exactly you wanted?

1. the width (distance between hole centres across the car) - Do you mean the 4 screw holes that the rear shock tower screws on the gear box or the two block aluminum alignment pins from the gear box? 

2. heights (above the deck) of the camber link holes on your 201xm shock tower - I'm guess the lower holes are fine? 

Sorry for not being clear. You are exactly right. I need the measurements of the gearbox mounting holes. The lower holes on the camber links would be great. Thank you.

@Ann3x Yes, got it last week and spent a couple of hours on it last night. Needed some shaving with the scalpel in the bearing bores but otherwise went together nicely and runs smoothly. Fitted up to the tub ok too. Once the trial fit up went ok I committed and cut the battery stop out to clear the spur. Also used the drill guide I did at shapeways as well to get the new holes in the deck for the battery stop/holder. Screwed up the counter sink as the drill tore through one of the holes. Going to have to Hodge that somehow here but the holes did end up in the right position at least. When I get some more time I will hook up a motor and see how it spins. When I have a little spare cash I will look at getting the shock tower and battery strap made. Not for a little while. Good start though. Promising.....

Tamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attemptTamiya TRF211 3 Gear laydown conversion. 1st attempt

Really nice. Good fit for a v1 (took me 3/4 versions to get my astute gearbox "perfect").

I've got a trf201 with XM conv kit so be v interested to see how this changes your 211's handling.

1 hour ago, Ann3x said:

Really nice. Good fit for a v1 (took me 3/4 versions to get my astute gearbox "perfect").

I've got a trf201 with XM conv kit so be v interested to see how this changes your 211's handling.

I'm afraid I won't have frame of reference for changes like that. The 211 tub i got on its own. Closest I have is an upgraded DN01. Just hoping it will work!

should perform very similarly on the 211 to 201, there are only a few parts different.

• Like 1

Paper check of the shock mount and battery plate. Good job I did. Both needed a tweak. For shock mount I set the ground clearance of the tub to the same as my DN01 and did my best to compare the paper shape to where the shocks ended up. Used a spare 201 shock mount to set the width.

TRF211 3 Gear laydown shock mount checking20180913_204607

Fibre Lyte came through with the shock tower and battery strap so I have been able to do a dry install. Needed to cut the other battery post to clear the motor. The ESC will mount on the battery strap. Just painting the shell and then I can see if this actually works.

20181009_19545420181009_19550120181009_19550920181009_19552220181009_195530

20181009_195543

• Like 1