borderlord

Brushless motor not running

Hi Guys

I have a Tamiya Neo Fighter, DT-03 chassis, running the kit supplied TBLE-02S speed controller. Currently brushed, but I bought a brushless motor to try.
Have to say at this stage I slipped up.
I'm used to sensorless motors, and I did not know that the motor was marked A,B,C, and these needed to be connected to the right esc outputs.
Anyway, plugged it all up, and the motor ran, just, but sounded like a bag of nails, and the motor, esc heatsinks, and even the motor wires got hot, almost as if the motor was jammed.
Not quite what I was hoping for.
Anyway, did some research, found my error with the wires, plugged it all together again, right way this time, but the motor would not run.
Treated myself to another motor, but that won't run either.
Would it be safe to assume I have toasted the esc too?
No biggy, they're not exactly expensive, but what puzzles me is it is still working fine in brushed mode.
Are there any tests I can do on the esc before I condemn it to the trash?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Backlash, thanks.

Did try a different lead, but no change. Never that easy is it?

Coming to the conclusion that the esc is blown. Only thing is it seems a pretty drastic reaction to plugging a couple of wires in the wrong way.

Oh well, live and learn

Jeff

• Like 1

Have you tried the brushed motor.

not really a small thing to connect the wires wrong. My buddy did the same, but he burned the reciever, disconnecting and connection esc and servo wires while battery plugged to esc and on. Only 6$ damage, cheap fs reciever.

Hi Fabia

Sounds like your buddy connected the power wires wrong. Now, that is a big deal.

All I did was to not check that the esc to motor wires were connected to the correct phases. With a sensorless motor this is standard practice.

BTW, in my first post I did mention that it was working fine with the brushed motor.

Thanks anyway

Jeff

• Like 1

I've heard, but never really experienced, that the TBLE-02S is pretty finicky...  i.e. if you don't do everything exactly correct, it bombs out for good...  I agree it seems odd that misconnecting the motor wires would damage the ESC.  If it was something a little more expensive, an issue like that is likely less to cause such a problem.