Sign in to follow this  
Rc_Tim_Offroad

Vintage Stadium Thunder

Hi

I have an original stadium thunder and this came with a 13t pinion gear and a rs540 black sport tuned motor. I want to upgrade the motor however in  the instructions do not give an option for any other size pinion to be used. Can I put in a 27t dirt tuned motor?. Also the standard rule I thought was to use a pinion gear two teeth below the motor so for 27th this would be paired with a 25t gear. With this rule in mind why would tamiya use such a low gear for that motor?. Also if I put a brushless 15t motor in could it handle it and again what pinion would you use?

Thanks20180727_214447.thumb.jpg.334e41af5b247e1a2c5dc872152785d4.jpg

20180727_214424.jpg

20180727_214419.jpg

The Dirt Tuned motor and the 13t pinion is a nice combination and will work well.   The Sport Tuned also is a good choice for this truck.   The pinion choices for this model is very limited (13t & 15t if memory serves correctly) but they work well with the gearing and tire size, so to put it simply there's no way a 25t pinion or anything even close would work.   Not to worry though, the pinion and motor combo works a treat anyway and this truck is tough as old boots and lots of fun to drive.   It will perform like a vintage chassis, but I think you'll love it!  Enjoy!

I wouldn't bother with a hotter motor or brushless, but that's just me.   Have fun with it for what it is.   I love the way mine handles jumps (within reason of course - I don't huck it at ginormous jumps at the skate park or such because, well, vintage...) and bashing it around the local parks.

The idea that you should use a pinion with two teeth less than the winding of the motor might work for one car, but it won't work for all of them. All cars have different combinations of gears, which require different ranges of pinions. The original Grasshopper 1/Hornet, for example, can only take one size of pinion on a 540-sized motor, while a more complex racing machine like a Kyosho Optima Mid or Schumacher Cat will not only allow you a range of pinions, but also a range of spur gears – and all of these in a range of gear tooth sizes: 48dp or 64dp.

There are no hard and fast rules across different cars about what pinion you should fit to what motor, apart from the fact that one with a smaller number of teeth will be slower but will offer greater acceleration and make your battery last longer, while a bigger one with more teeth will have a quicker top speed but will take more time to get there and will use your battery quicker.

Other than that, it all depends on the type of car.