So when I was a kid a friend of mine got a Frog for Christmas then the next year a Hotshot. I now have kids that are into traxxas. I would like to get one of these to build with them and brig back some memories. Any suggestions on which one and what all I should get to have fun with my boys?

Thanks
EB

My 1st kit when I was a kid (80's) was a Monster Beetle.  It was a great experience.

Was just as much fun building the re release as an adult :)

• Like 1

I guess the question is between the two?  

I like the Frog better than the Hotshot.  Yes, Hotshot is 4x4, but the suspension is kinda strange (and fascinating).  If your kids have E-Maxxes, neither vintages will stand a chance. 

Unofficially called ORV (Off-Road-Vehicle: Frog, Monster Beetle, Blackfoot, Brat) has a very sturdy space frame chassis.  Original hex drive for the rear has been changed to dogbones in re-releases.  Rear has trailing arm suspension with oil shocks.  1984 design is not really comparable to the 21st century buggies.  But it's still quite a fun car, so I ended up with 2 Blackfeet ;) and 1 Brat re-re and one more vintage chassis.  Maybe one should have been a Monster Beetle.  

Hotshot was revolutionary back in the days.  The mono-shocks do work, but it's a bit limited.  To prevent swaying, it has to have anti-sway bars, but they are a bit sloppy.  There are strange angles where suspensions kinda flop about.  It's a bit low to the ground.  The pinnacle of Hotshot series was when Tamiya gave it 4 independent shocks like Super Shot and Bigwig.  Bigwig drives a lot better than Hotshot, but I hear Boomerang can hold its own with 3 shocks.  My Boomer is not in running condition yet, so I couldn't tell you much about how it drives.  Nova Fox is kinda like a 2WD version of Boomerang.  The front mono-shock + anti-sway bar arrangement looks to be finally perfected in Nova Fox.  

If you are not limited to the two, how about a Wild One?  Its performance is a bit better than the Frog, because of oil shocks and wider body.  It's also much sleeker looking.  Put a 19 turn motor on either the Frog or Wild One, you won't beat E-Maxxes, but you won't envy Emaxxes either.   

auDlkxS.jpg

• Like 3

Do you want one of those kits or just a Tamiya kit to build? To compete with Traxxas you could pick up a DB01 variant, that would give you a kit to build, Tamiya, and a very capable buggy. 

If you like the rerelease buggies rather than newer (DB01 is still old) then Top Force would be a good option as it will perform better, is well priced and still is a proper Tamiya buggy.

Of the ORV chassis as explained above, I like the Monster Beetle, its great fun. The Blackfoot will be the same, I can't comment on the Brat or Frog though. Of the Hotshot chassis I like the Boomerang. I think the Hotshot is very expensive for what it is and given there are 4 variants of that chassis available at the moment, the Boomerang is the best bang for buck (and best Tamiya ever).

In my experience of new budget Tamiyas (TT02B) and rereleases, the performance is all pretty much the same. They all have their quirks and are great in their own way. Safest is get the one you like the look of.

• Thanks 1

Jonathon Gillham is spot on! get the one you like the look of😉 what you have to keep in mind all the re-re's are of passed 80's/90's technology and design and all have little quirks (basically design flaws) which at the time of original release after market companies remedied or tried to but most of these have all gone😞 but IMO That makes tamiya RC cars more endering😗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What ages are the kits appropriate for. I want to make sure my boys are at a good age to build one with me.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, KSRC101 said:

What ages are the kits appropriate for. I want to make sure my boys are at a good age to build one with me.

Thanks!

Think it depends on the kids really. The box states they're not for kids under 14 but my 5 year old is more than happy helping with maintenance and even my 2 year old will try and help if it means he can use a screwdriver :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone ever ordered from RCMart.com? I tried calling there US number and is wont go though. Makes me a bit nervous.

Has anyone ever ordered from RCMart.com? I tried calling there US number and is wont go though. Makes me a bit nervous.

Yep, orders several parts from there with no issue.  Most of their stuff comes from their overseas locations so you can't be too much of a rush if you want to order from them.

Many times (have an Egress on the way now).  Not had any issues with any of them.  My last order took a week to clear customs but that was no fault of theirs.

I used them decades ago when they were Dinball.com for mini Z Kyosho kit. very reliable.

• Thanks 1

on RC Mart, how do you check postage price?

Added- got it 50 euro on top for Top Force........

34 minutes ago, Baddon said:

I used them decades ago when they were Dinball.com for mini Z Kyosho kit. very reliable.

Oh, I remember Dinball.  I used them through ebay at around 2000-2003.  I'm still using RCMart occasionally for parts.

They are reliable.   

I have found RCMart and RCJaz to be great. They also have good customer sevice if you need it (faulty products, changing orders)

The shipping cost of my TRF102 was really reasonable as its a small and light kit, I think it was about NZD30. When I looked at the Monster Beetle though it was about NZD100 for shipping, so while the sale price was good the shipping made it about the same as a local price, and of course you have the risk of import charges.

My son became interested  in my cars recently, I build  tamiya's mostly for the memories and run my slash or trx more then anything  else. I cobbled together  a frog from some orv spares I had with him, he loved the experience.   After some frustration, and quite a few upgrades  trying to get it to run anything like a modern car, I broke down and got him a new rustler rtr for under 200.  Runs like a champion  and haven't touched  a thing :) he's got his first 'shelfer' with a near mint frog tho.  Will work with him with upgrades and any repairs with the rustler, and he can help me continue to build my pile of tamiya shelf-bound projects. But there's something to be said about modern r/c, vs trying to deal with relics that turn one way under gas and spin another under brake and get stuck in anything resembling  grass, and even in rere form are a lot more expensive. 

Depending on the kit some are still available shipped closer  to pre map pricing on Ebay from some us sellers, at least cheaper then current  prices from tower even with a coupon.  Rcmart is great especially  for batches of smaller parts that are not kit take-offs. Larger orders like kits are fine too but can randomly get hung up in NY for a few weeks sometimes. The map prices  have really  put a damper  on my interest  in tamiya reres tho, I'm back shopping vintage deals on Ebay 

Just keep in mind that Traxxas are tough as nails and will take quite a beating, while Tamiya are not quite as much.  Could be in for a heap of broken parts and complaints if the kids are using Traxxas with a "don't care" type of attitude and then they drive the Tamiya cars in the same way.  Depends on the kids though.  Just be aware that the experience could sour the viewpoint depending on how things go.  "But I do the same thing with the Slash all the time and it's fine, so why did the Tamiya break the A arm when I hit that tree just once?"

On 8/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, KSRC101 said:

Shipping seems pretty high. Should probably find someone in the US to get it from.

Unfortunately, Tamiya has recently made that an expensive proposition by targeting US distributors with their MAP pricing scheme.

Prior to, my go to was either AMain or Tower. Technically, it seems  they can still sell kits for less then the MAP, but have to jump through hoops to do it.

I'm currently in wait and see mode as to whether or not I can continue buying Tamiya products.  It's very unfortunate.

As mentioned above, Traxxas makes solid bashers great for kids. The Slash would be at the top of my list.