Sign in to follow this  
Joker132

Getting rid of cigarette smell

Hi all! I am new here and just recently got back to the RC hobby.

Just a few days ago I bought 2 Tamtech Porsches, a Jägermeister and a Vaillant Edition, simply because I really like te 1/12 scale and think those two models are two of the most beautiful onroad models ever by Tamiya. Both cars are not in perfect condition, however the bodies themselves are put together well enough for me to consider putting them on display in my living room. The bodies are well made, not nearly perfect but without any huge errors. There are some lines not perfectly on the right spot at the back fender for example but I can live with that as it is a self assembled body and chassis anyway. I probably wouldn't have built it better.

Both models look quite good and after cleaning them yesterday I thought about putting them in their final spot for the first time. There is a huge issue though. When cleaning the bodies and chassis I realized both smell terribly. And I mean old chain smoking granny levels of bad. When I wiped the bodies just with a wet microfiber cloth it turned from white to this yellowish/brownish color you might have seen when you smoke a cigarette through a handkerchief. The bodies after being wiped a few times don't really smell anymore, maybe a bit like soap but I am fine with that since I used a bit to help cleaning :D Both chassis are a whole other story. I rubbed and wiped and used Q-tips the whole day yesterday and still they stink like ***. I simply can't have them that way in my living room. 

Now here is the question. What can I do to get rid of the smell? I will most likely have to take apart both chassis anyways since one probably has a broken diff ( I think using a tuning motor, and a cheap one at that wasn't a good idea of the previous owner) and some other parts are broken like the back body holder of one model. I won't really use the models for driving, I want them to be in driveable condition however. If there is a way to get rid of the smell for now I would gladly take advice though without having to disassemble them completely. I was thinking maybe stripping the models off their electronics and putting them in the dishwasher at a low heat program could help, any experience with that? I would really take any possible adivce, maybe stuff like Febreze works? 

It is currently really good weather in Europe so going out is a bit more tempting then cleaning old RCs. Besides that I would like to soon build a Blackfoot 2016 (I hope this is a decent start to get into monster trucks or something fun and useable) to bash around in grass and forrests and a bit down by the river. I can't drive the Tamtechs anyway currently since I don't know of any onroad track close to where I live. Any advice?

My parents smoked in their house so I speak from experience.  The smell will eventually (months?) go away with good airing out but the residue will always be there unless you remove it.  For the most part on non-porous material, remove the residue, remove the smell.  Soap and water is the best way to remove the residue.

use coffepowder. not nescoffee, the real one. put a hand full together with the models in a airtight box and leave it for a while. coffepowder is a great smellkiller.

Thanks for both suggestions. I will try cleaning them again and then let them rest for a week or so in a coffeebox. I really hope that will help. I will report back if the smell is gone.

Yep!!!! Beat me to it. Get a fresh box or Arm and Hammer open it up, place the cars and the arm and hammer in the box sealed up. Let them sit for like a montn. 

I've run into this several times over the years, . I tried everything, Baking soda, air fresheners, sprays etc.  The only way I ever completely got rid of the smell was to tear the car down and scrub every piece of it. I like Dawn Dish detergent here in the states.  Works great and it doesn't lift well stuck on decals. 

Nothing else has ever worked.  I have a car sitting in the garage right now that's been out there on the shelf for almost a year due this smell.  It's on my list of things to clean his summer :)

• Like 1

If none of the above works. The next best thing to do, would be to start smoking yourself. Then the car will smell the same as your fingers, breath and hair. And you will no longer notice the horrible smell of 2nd hand smoke.  :(

dishwashers are good as well.  :)

• Haha 2

I’ve had some shockers, left them on the shelf 3 months, seemed ok then. 

I've had to deal with this a few times with various types of things.

First off, take the car apart - completely. Fill a bucket that can fit the parts with water so that it covers the parts. For each half gallon of water, use a tablespoon of powdered laundry detergent for coloured clothes. It is very important that is is not detergent for whites, as that contains bleaching agents that can render the plastics very brittle or in other ways compromise the components. When the soap has been dissolved, add a tablespoon of household vinegar and then the parts. Leave for 24 hours. Rinse the parts with water.

All and any cig smell will be gone, completely. Now your model will smell nice and fresh like a new made bed for about a week. After that, the RC model will smell like, well an RC model.

Good luck with it.