steelo

Converting M05 to rally car

Are the carbon hop up rods (assuming we are talking about the same part)  available cheaply for you? Or carbon rod you can cut to length?

I think these are a common length for M chassis - how about posting a Want ad in the Sales section to see if anyone has any left over after upgrading to carbon?

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to add.... I've FINALLY started my M05 Build Thread!!😁  If anyone's interested, I'm trying something different...

After lurking and talking with you Guys for over 4 years - it's my FIRST Thread!! 😉✌  Learned so much from all of you. I'll be taking one of Tamiya's easiest Kits, and make it as complicated as I can!! 😜 

It's only basically a Basher, but I'll be tough, rugged and Fast. Hope you'll join me!

11 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Since I've got a CC-01 right here..... That would be an absolute dream solution!!! 😁👍👍  Thank you so much!

..... If only getting those two Transmission Rods was that easy. 😲  That one's been very frustrating! 😖😡😠

Could you not source some 5mm carbon rod, 5mm O.D. carbon tube or other similar material and cut it to length to make your own?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Are the carbon hop up rods (assuming we are talking about the same part)  available cheaply for you? Or carbon rod you can cut to length?

I think these are a common length for M chassis - how about posting a Want ad in the Sales section to see if anyone has any left over after upgrading to carbon?

Cheers! BRILLIANT idea on both counts. 👍👍

I guess I've got to ask.... If these are so common, WHY aren't they widely available?? Or available at all?   I did find 5 sets for sale, all in Japan...... 

$18.25 + $940.00 SHIPPING!!!! 😲😠😠😠    The others were also burdened with EXTORTIONATE Shipping costs!  What's wrong with People today??

😠  Now, at the corner Gun Store, I found 5mm Arrow Shafts, quite inexpensive. I've never cut anything Carbon Fiber before (REALLY!), am I going to destroy all my cutting Tools? What would I use? 

In the Sales Section, how do I ask for them?? I could not find any Part Numbers for them...

(GAWD!!!! You'd think that I was brand new to the Hobby! Or could it be that it's the middle of the Night - here 😉

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Could you not source some 5mm carbon rod, 5mm O.D. carbon tube or other similar material and cut it to length to make your own?

Well Sir.... You truly are the Man in the know around here!!! 😎👌 I meant that with due respect.

I just mentioned before, that I found inexpensive 5mm CF Arrow Shafts. (Although I just read it back to myself - Wow did I just make myself sound so stereotypically AMERICAN with that one sentence!!) 😖

Or at the Crafts Store, I found 5mm OD hollow Brass Tube. Surprisingly light, but I'm not convinced that it would take the lateral loading.

But seriously, Thank You!!!! It had never dawned on me to simply cut them from some sort of Tube! Cheers 🍻 Mate!

@Juls1 THANK YOU for doing that research!! Quite nice of you. ✌😉

As much as I would love one of those Sealed Gear Diffs, the sad truth is, they're out of my miniscule Budget.... 😞   BTW, I've had this question for a while. How do I know if I need a 38 or 39 Tooth Diff??? 😲😖

THOSE are definitely on my list, depending on Shipping costs. Asia has NOT been kind to us Yanks...

It absolutely makes sense, because I've got Diff Gears from a TT-01, so those MUST be the correct Diff Cups!! ..... Except they're sold out. 😞

But I did find some here in the Colonies, but for TWICE the price! 

OR........ Plan C!! While I'm trying tomorrow. If these blood Diff Cups are so **** hard to find - make the Diff itself MATCH! 😉  I'm going to take apart my CC-01 this Morning, and see if the Diff Gears fit into the M05 Diff....

If it fits - I'll simply use the Diff Cups from the CC-01!! 😎😁 THAT problem solved!! 

Then I'm just left with finding those blasted Transmission Shafts... 😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Carmine A said:

😠  Now, at the corner Gun Store, I found 5mm Arrow Shafts, quite inexpensive. I've never cut anything Carbon Fiber before (REALLY!), am I going to destroy all my cutting Tools? What would I use? 

Carbon fibre tube or rod can be worked using normal hand tools such as hacksaws, coping saws and files without damaging them. A cutting disk on a powered rotary tool such as a Dremel also works well. The only things to watch out for are the dust and splinters, both of which can be quite nasty. Gloves and a dust mask are wise precautions, as well as eye protection if using a cutting disk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Carbon fibre tube or rod can be worked using normal hand tools such as hacksaws, coping saws and files without damaging them. A cutting disk on a powered rotary tool such as a Dremel also works well. The only things to watch out for are the dust and splinters, both of which can be quite nasty. Gloves and a dust mask are wise precautions, as well as eye protection if using a cutting disk.

I figured that I should treat Carbon Fibre very similar to Fiberglass. Cut into it, and the tiniest chards and fragments will find their way into the hardest to reach crevasses!!!! 😜😂😂

I was more concerned that the CF might Shatter. Like I said, I've never worked with it before, but I have seen impact damage. It's a very hard material, so it breaks with great energy!! 💣😲

I may not end up needing it... A very kind Person has offered to help me! I was quite taken aback - I can't believe that in this Day and age, someone would just volunteer to help an old fool, without having to humiliate myself - practically begging, whilst they string me along. Like some Game. 😞

Well, I'm just going to be very appreciative! I'm certainly humbled by the gesture.

I was looking over everything I had bought over the past year, because I couldn't afford to simply go out and buy a new Kit whenever I want, anymore.

I do not EVER want to know the total of everything I spent.... SO FAR!!! 😧 NO regrets. I wanted to do this, knowing I couldn't afford it. 😉

It will be the same Fun when it's finished!!

On 7/15/2020 at 11:24 PM, Juls1 said:

Sorry I should have expanded,

you'll need to get the dremel out and relieve the C hubs from the arm to allow for more

However I used CVA Mini without the long eyelets fitted, the shock in the picture you've provided has long eyelets on it. Using the shorter eyelets will shorten the length by about 4mm so the extra travel of the CVA Mini can be used.I may have used different spring cups i don't remember.

I may also have used Tamiya 54583 which gives you a hinge pin point to connect the shock allowing for a longer shock.

Juls

Hi Juls, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I got a bit fed up of the project so shelved it for a while.

Just checking whether you need those 54583 ball shafts at the rear as well?

22 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Hi Juls, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I got a bit fed up of the project so shelved it for a while.

Just checking whether you need those 54583 ball shafts at the rear as well?

From memory I had it installed but didn’t use it.

Juls