Chrizh

Bullhead Tips and Tricks?

Hey peeps, just finished building my Bullhead. Stock everything at moment with exception of a ballrace set. I've got on order the Hobbywing 860 ESC, Savox high torque waterproof servo, 3s lipo, waterproof box for receiver and a wheelie bar. I'm attempting to make this thing good for all weather! 😂 

Any other tips or advice for this one? Someone elsewhere mentioned using a tall servo horn to help with steering so will look in to that when it arrives. I've not run it yet so don't know how it handles but any other feedback and tips appreciated 😎

20180807_194733.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

Thanks for that.

I bought my Bullhead second hand, unbuilt. Weirdly the B11 plastic parts were missing and some alumininum ones were included in the box already! Guessing previous owner bought them in prep but never built it.

18 hours ago, Chrizh said:

Someone elsewhere mentioned using a tall servo horn to help with steering

Sounds like he's tried it and kind of works (well,helps!) 

Don't forget, you'll need to cut the battery clip thingy 🙄👍

• Like 1

Sky is the limit when upgrading a Bull Head (or Clod), all depends what you;re looking to do with it.  If you're looking to keep it mostly stock then the upgrades you have planned is the way to go.  Most of mine are pretty well modified by now and you really lose the character of the truck once you start doing other upgrades such as oil shocks, 4-link, locking the diffs, etc.  It makes it a better performer technically, but somehow just isn't as much fun.  Good luck with your truck, looks great in black.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Sky is the limit when upgrading a Bull Head (or Clod), all depends what you;re looking to do with it.  If you're looking to keep it mostly stock then the upgrades you have planned is the way to go.  Most of mine are pretty well modified by now and you really lose the character of the truck once you start doing other upgrades such as oil shocks, 4-link, locking the diffs, etc.  It makes it a better performer technically, but somehow just isn't as much fun.  Good luck with your truck, looks great in black.

Thanks! Yeah I pretty much left it at that. It's the most fun I've had with a Tamiya. 

6 months ago I picked up my first Tamiya. Midnight Pumpkin. I thought that was a big truck! I'm nine other kits in now and the Pumpkin no longer looks big! The Bull Head dwarfs it! 

On 8/18/2018 at 5:09 PM, 87lc2 said:

you really lose the character of the truck once you start doing other upgrades such as oil shocks, 4-link, locking the diffs, etc.  It makes it a better performer technically, but somehow just isn't as much fun

Exactly!

As a new Bullhead owner I am seeking how to get the most out of mine too.....anyone know what page of the Bullhead manual these B11 parts are installed at? (I'm quickly scanning it at work but in sniper mode so as not to get caught lol.....)

I also saw the longer servo horn mod, a Youtuber showed his Bullhead performing a 4 1/2 half foot turning circle once done, reduced from about 10-12ft as stock.

My New to me Bullhead came with an Acoms IC AS7 Servo.... researching the net shows this is not a very powerful servo and doesn't get much love for running a Bullhead, to be fair I was surprised this truck only has 1 servo to turn 4 massive wheels.... I think I need to find a stronger servo now,  once the broken servo plate arrives as the servo moves all over the place now.

As7 looks like a standard servo. 

I typically use MG966R servos for all models now. Metal gears and very strong torque! Cheap too on aliexpress. 

I have 2 of these in my dual-servo mod bullhead, they work perfectly.

the brackets are installed somewere at the end of gearbox assembly I believe. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Ray_ve, you have two servos doing the steering. one for each axle?

Do you mean MG996R servo?

Those are very cheap servo's 4 of them for only £13.99 on TheBay... but 13kg torque sounds impressive... do they use a 25t spline like Futaba and Tamiya?

Indeed one MG996R servo for each axle, mounted at the gearbox. 

These servos are very cheap, but also strong and have a 25t spline. So I'm very happy with these. Much stronger torque compared to AS-7 or futaba(?) s3003 servos. And if they should fail... Also Cheap to replace.

• Like 1