DK308

TT02B MS Ring and Pinion gears

Hi gang

Just wanted to know what kind of experiences you guys have had with the TT02B ring and pinion gears?

Mine lasted about 2 hours in my MS with what I'll call a mild brushless 540 size 3400 kv motor.

Now today, one of my friends brought out his new TT02B MS for the first time, and he also ran a fairly mild hop up 19 T brushed motor in his. Like mine, the rear ring and pinion started to grind within about an hour or so and it was downhill for the next hour or so. Then after that, they were pretty much gone. Neither of us really use these buggies for bashing. We have a park in the nearby area where we can run on a large soccer field that is always moved, and a large flat gravel lot, so they are not exactly abused.

I run the GPM steel ring and pinion gears in mine with great success. What's your thoughts? Is this just a common TT02 thing?

Thanks all

• Like 1

The stock plastic touring car diff ring and pinion gears used on the TT-02B are a known weak point. Most people replace them with the metal gears from the DF-02.

^ What he said. Also, GPM makes/made steel gears. Don't know if they still make them, but you might be able to find some on eBay if you cannot find the DF02 parts.

Edit: RCDamper has them. I have a set of these. They have some weight to them compared to the stock plastic gears. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARD-STEEL-DIFF-DIFFERENTIAL-RING-PROPELLER-SHAFT-GEAR-TAMIYA-TT02-TT02B-TT02D/183364374229?hash=item2ab15e4ed5%3Ag%3A6EMAAOSwcLxYGj8r&_sacat=0&_nkw=tt02b+gears&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Thanks guys. We already found the GPM gears on RCJAZ earlier today, so he ordered those. I did not know the DF02 gears would fit. Are they a straight drop in like the GPM gears?

They are almost a drop in fit.  You need to file the pinion gear a bit.  The bonus is if you buy the metal parts bag and the set of diff cases you get 2 diffs and a 19T pinion.  I found that I've only needed to replace the rear diff with metal, the fronts have been fine.  Also, I run the standard plastic gears for the standard torque tuned motor as the metal gears really slow the car down.

Okay thank you. Funny you say that about slowing it down. I don't think I saw much difference when I switched to the GPM metal gears. Mine ate both front and rear gears. The rear died first of course, but the front did not like the breaking capabilities of the brushless setup.

Would you happen to know if there is a metal spur gear available? Not a big issue, just curious.

12 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Okay thank you. Funny you say that about slowing it down. I don't think I saw much difference when I switched to the GPM metal gears. Mine ate both front and rear gears. The rear died first of course, but the front did not like the breaking capabilities of the brushless setup.

Would you happen to know if there is a metal spur gear available? Not a big issue, just curious.

You wouldn't notice on a  decent brushless setup, its only if you go back to the torque tuned motor you'll realise, and if you have 2 of them side by side.

Thats a first, I haven't heard of the fronts going as well, good effort!

I don't think there is a metal spur available.  Thats not to say you couldn't find one, but I'm not aware of any 10th cars using metal spurs, even the 4wd mod buggies run plastic.  You shouldn't have too many problems as long as the mesh is set correctly.  On the TT02B you don't even have to worry about that with the fixed positions on the motor mount, unless you get the wrong pitch pinion.  You can also get a Yeah Racing mount which has slots instead of holes.  Setting the mesh is easy enough, I use a bit of paper between the spur and pinion and it works well.

32 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You wouldn't notice on a  decent brushless setup, its only if you go back to the torque tuned motor you'll realise, and if you have 2 of them side by side.

Thats a first, I haven't heard of the fronts going as well, good effort!

I don't think there is a metal spur available.  Thats not to say you couldn't find one, but I'm not aware of any 10th cars using metal spurs, even the 4wd mod buggies run plastic.  You shouldn't have too many problems as long as the mesh is set correctly.  On the TT02B you don't even have to worry about that with the fixed positions on the motor mount, unless you get the wrong pitch pinion.  You can also get a Yeah Racing mount which has slots instead of holes.  Setting the mesh is easy enough, I use a bit of paper between the spur and pinion and it works well.

Well yup, those plastic gears in the front don't like hard stops, With the Schumi Mini spike yellow tyres I can make the car do a front flip if I apply full brake on grass.

I do run the Yeah Racing motor mount and I'm very happy with it, most definitely a must imo. But I bought that along with the kit. I don't like not having the ability to set the mesh properly. I tried the fixed one that came with the kit just to get an idea of how it would mesh, and it's a bit too tight for comfort. And no, I don't think the metal spur is needed either. My OE has held up fine so far, even on 3S, it was more just a thought.

Thanks again

• Like 1

There is someone who makes a metal spur for the tt02. It is an exact copy of the high speed spur. It was $30 US. I used to have it in my watchlist but took it out

Tb01 steel diffs drop straight in but you'll need to change the drive cups and shafts.

TT01 diffs also fit without any issues.

The crown wheel flexes under load for some reason. That's the problem. GPM still make the steel crown wheel and pinion gear.

7 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Found it

6A8DC578-4C9A-4ED7-829B-6CD00EDF928F.png

That looks pretty sweet. Any idea who makes it?

Thanks

3 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Tb01 steel diffs drop straight in but you'll need to change the drive cups and shafts.

TT01 diffs also fit without any issues.

The crown wheel flexes under load for some reason. That's the problem. GPM still make the steel crown wheel and pinion gear.

Thank you. Are the TT01 gears steel gears? Which shafts has the correct length and will work with the Tb01 diffs in the TT02B? Do the cups in the wheel end need to be changed as well or is it only the diff cups and the axles?

24 minutes ago, DK308 said:

That looks pretty sweet. Any idea who makes it?

Thanks

Seems to be just a guy who makes various spurs for different cars

7 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Seems to be just a guy who makes various spurs for different cars

Okay. Found the Tamiya 54500 speed pinion. I might give that a try when my current spur is worn down.

Thanks

I had a TT-02B a few years ago and the car was an absolute nightmare with destroying gears. This car had the weakest drive train of any RC car I've ever owned...I've never had this problem with other R/C cars.

I used to try to run it on a dirt baseball field and could barely make it through 1 battery before I started hearing the dreaded 'clicking' meaning the pinion/spur gears were starting to skip. Like you mentioned, it's all downhill from there.This was on a fairly mild brushed motor (21T). I tried for months to remedy the problem by sealing the gearbox, aluminum motor mount, lube, no lube, I even replaced the entire chassis thinking maybe something was out of place from the Tamiya factory. I (think) the problem was that the plastic gearbox/mounts allowed way too much play between the gears. You have a plastic gearbox with metal tapping screws holding the cover (and gears) in place. Essentially, it is a very crappy design and I'm surprised Tamiya hasn't corrected it yet.

Anyways, I had no luck and eventually just pulled out all of the electronics and chucked it in the garbage. That car was a HUGE disappointment.

1 hour ago, steelo said:

I had a TT-02B a few years ago and the car was an absolute nightmare with destroying gears. This car had the weakest drive train of any RC car I've ever owned...I've never had this problem with other R/C cars.

I used to try to run it on a dirt baseball field and could barely make it through 1 battery before I started hearing the dreaded 'clicking' meaning the pinion/spur gears were starting to skip. Like you mentioned, it's all downhill from there.This was on a fairly mild brushed motor (21T). I tried for months to remedy the problem by sealing the gearbox, aluminum motor mount, lube, no lube, I even replaced the entire chassis thinking maybe something was out of place from the Tamiya factory. I (think) the problem was that the plastic gearbox/mounts allowed way too much play between the gears. You have a plastic gearbox with metal tapping screws holding the cover (and gears) in place. Essentially, it is a very crappy design and I'm surprised Tamiya hasn't corrected it yet.

Anyways, I had no luck and eventually just pulled out all of the electronics and chucked it in the garbage. That car was a HUGE disappointment.

Okay interesting. I have had no issues with the spur and pinion. I do run the Yeah racing plate, but that's mostly to allow proper mesh. As for the ring and pinions in the diffs, I have had no problems after i went to the GPM steel gears. Car runs great on both 2S and 3S.

To fit TB01 diff. Youll need to run CVDs and the TB01 drive cups. As the TB01 diff is splined. The CVDs from the DF02 fit perfectly.

Im running GPM full diff and pinion gear in the rear on standard driveshafts and TB01 steel diff with DF02 upfront. To memory im also running the hardened drive cups up front... just because i can. Not because i needed to.

59 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

The problem is with the ring gear, not the internal spider gears, so these will do nothing to rectify the situation I'm afraid. 

Steelo's experience, while most unfortunate, is also most unusual. While diff ring gear and pinion issues are common until metal updates are fitted, the stock spur gear and motor pinion seldom give trouble, especially if a metal motor mount is fitted. People regularly run them on brushless & LiPo without problems. 

13 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

People regularly run them on brushless & LiPo without problems. 

Mine. 4370kV brushless on 2S with DF02 gears and the Tamiya Diff Lock Block in the rear. No problems and I beat on it pretty hard when I had that motor in it.

On 8/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, DK308 said:

Hi gang

Just wanted to know what kind of experiences you guys have had with the TT02B ring and pinion gears?

Mine lasted about 2 hours in my MS with what I'll call a mild brushless 540 size 3400 kv motor.

Now today, one of my friends brought out his new TT02B MS for the first time, and he also ran a fairly mild hop up 19 T brushed motor in his. Like mine, the rear ring and pinion started to grind within about an hour or so and it was downhill for the next hour or so. Then after that, they were pretty much gone. Neither of us really use these buggies for bashing. We have a park in the nearby area where we can run on a large soccer field that is always moved, and a large flat gravel lot, so they are not exactly abused.

I run the GPM steel ring and pinion gears in mine with great success. What's your thoughts? Is this just a common TT02 thing?

Thanks all

Did you have to make any modifications to the GPMs?  Or were they a direct fit?

I found a guy on the bay that machines steel spur gears, and he made a replica of the FRN and Alum 68 tooth high speed spur.  I figured I may as well snag one while’s the getting good, even if I have to sit on it a bit, before I finish acquiring the rest of the parts I need to complete the build.

I want a more bulletproof drive train, even though I know, that will be a lot of extra weight.  Just need a punchier motor I guess.  Or I could just get the GPM ring and bevel, then lock the diff w/ a block.