DK308

Rally car. Which one and why?

Hi all

Considering a rally car. It's not going to be tracked, rather for fast fun running and drifting on a large gravel lot.

Looking at the DF-03R w. the Evo body and the XV-01 with the Delta Integrale body.

I know there's a price difference, so that's not part of the question as I'm fine with either. Tell me about what the differences are between these two chassis and the pros and cons. Which ever one I choose, will get the same powertrain as that's what I have sitting on the shelf. Hobbywing Ezrun Max 10 60A and Ezrun 3652SL 4000kv motor.

Thanks guys.

OK, I'm a bit of a rally fan so I have a few rally cars...

XV-01, DF03Ra, TB01, TA01, M05Ra

And by far my favourite to drive is the XV-01. WIth the motor out front it handles very much like a real rally car, the backend will step out, but get the front pointed where you want it to go and bury the power and it will (more or less) head in that direction. It's been a fairly trouble free chassis with most issues being due to me having too much fun and not keeping an eye that all screws are still tight (right rear shock detatched!)! Only con I've found is loose gravel can build up under the steering mechanism and stop it working fully - but a stop and shake upsidedown has always solved this. No breakages and no issue with the belt drive to date. I did buy the uprated drive belt in case I had issues, but it's still in its bag! Fitting an ESC can be tight in the XV-01 as the space is quite limited, especially if you want the cover on to limit dust and dirt. Some people also aren't keen on the 2 screws to open the battery door, but I just keep a appropriate driver with the car so I don't leave home without it.

DF03Ra is also good, but with the ball diff in the rear can have overheating issues on brushless, leading to diffs melting! I've so far been OK (although I did upgrade some of the diff parts from plastic to metal to help prevent the melting. Still a good fun drive, but a little bit too well-mannered for a rally car. You can also buy a buggy body to use as a dust cover over the chassis. Wiring can be a little tricky to get everything around the propshaft without the risk of anything rubbing, but if I can managed it most people will be fine.

To sum up, both are interesting builds, both are fun to drive, but I'd take the XV-01 every time, it's just that bit more fun to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pteppic said:

And by far my favourite to drive is the XV-01. WIth the motor out front it handles very much like a real rally car, the backend will step out, but get the front pointed where you want it to go and bury the power and it will (more or less) head in that direction. It's been a fairly trouble free chassis with most issues being due to me having too much fun and not keeping an eye that all screws are still tight (right rear shock detatched!)! Only con I've found is loose gravel can build up under the steering mechanism and stop it working fully - but a stop and shake upsidedown has always solved this. No breakages and no issue with the belt drive to date. I did buy the uprated drive belt in case I had issues, but it's still in its bag! Fitting an ESC can be tight in the XV-01 as the space is quite limited, especially if you want the cover on to limit dust and dirt. Some people also aren't keen on the 2 screws to open the battery door, but I just keep a appropriate driver with the car so I don't leave home without it.

DF03Ra is also good, but with the ball diff in the rear can have overheating issues on brushless, leading to diffs melting! I've so far been OK (although I did upgrade some of the diff parts from plastic to metal to help prevent the melting. Still a good fun drive, but a little bit too well-mannered for a rally car. You can also buy a buggy body to use as a dust cover over the chassis. Wiring can be a little tricky to get everything around the propshaft without the risk of anything rubbing, but if I can managed it most people will be fine.

To sum up, both are interesting builds, both are fun to drive, but I'd take the XV-01 every time, it's just that bit more fun to me.

Alright great. Just curious. How do you like the other three you have by comparison? Also, how's the ground clearance compared to say a TT02B? Thanks

TB01 is great once you get brushless installed, it's heavy and built like a tank! Mine's rolled, cartwheeled and generally had a very hard life...   ...only damage (bodyshells! obviously) I ripped off a rear suspension arm hitting some raised ironworks. Cost £5 and a couple of days for the part, apart from that bulletproof!

TA01 (I also have the DF01 Lancer) nice to drive but always suffers from torque steel on brushless (I think it's to do with motor and prp shaft position)

M05Ra, OK, but only front wheel drive so struggles on anything more challenging that light gravel.

All have ground clearance of 20-25mm (usually with long shock ends) so probably less than a TT02B, although I don't own one to compare!

:O)

• Like 1

TB01.

Older chassis but can survive a small nuclear blast.

Been running one since 2000.

Ground clearance is a little less than the TT02B but only by a couple of mm.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pteppic said:

Totally agree with this!  I too have the upgraded belt still in the bag.  The stock belt is still going strong!  Love my XV-01!

I'll put in another vote for the XV01.  I've got one and I'm still tempted to buy a couple more.

• Like 1

I have 2 XV-01's so can recommend more than one, but then I also have a pair of TB01's one with the Long Arm suspension kit (which took a lot of hunting for!) - As I say Rally cars become and addiction...    ...there's a 037 just arrived and I rather like the look of the soon to be released Yaris WRC too!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Totally agree with this!  I too have the upgraded belt still in the bag.  The stock belt is still going strong!  Love my XV-01!

I love your XV01!

I need an XV01 of my own but they are so expensive compared to TT02’s lol!

• Like 3

Okay thanks for the help guys. Looks like the XV01 is the one to get with the TB01 as something to consider for the future.

What is the differencebetween the XV01 and XV01 Pro?

• Like 1

I think XV-01Pro has TRF shocks and turnbuckles. Plus a few other bits of blue aluminium - but no body included with the kit.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the DF-03Ra myself, currently owning three. At the moment they are going through a complete stripdown and clean: and are being rebuilt as a standard rally car, a short wheelbase rally car, and a carbon chassis touring car. I also have a DF-03MS buggy (shelf queen) and enough parts to make another rolling chassis!

I find they are easy to maintain, I only use brushed motors so have no problems with melting ball diffs, and I like the way they handle and the way they look when being driven hard: back end drifting out, front dipping on heavy braking, body roll on hard cornering etc.

I did own an XV-01 at one point, I bought one second hand and ran it without stripping it down first only to find the seller had completely left out a bearing in the rear gearbox which led to some chewed gears. I stripped it down to repair and on realising how overcomplicated the kit is, with plastic spacers everywhere, I couldn't be bothered: so put it in a box and passed it on to @Granddad Stinky a few months back.

Edited by martinjpayne
Replaced expletive with word 'bothered'.
  • Like 1

I built my TT02 Lancia purely because I saw the Fiat 131 belonging to @martinjpayne.

It's my first rally car and I really like it. I had heaps of TT parts from the buggies, so it was a natural progression. I did buy a handful of hard white chassis plates when they were still available, so I expect that makes them handle better. You'd need a wrench and vice to bend one.

I expect I'll do a black basher rally car, a drift and touring car TT02 as well, mainly because I can afford the parts. 

Did I mention that I like TT02s? They do make good missiles! 😂

Photos of DF03Ra Fiat 131 and TT02 Lancia.

vYB5RTX.jpg

OSWYyUe.jpg

NKDpubh.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I love your XV01!

I need an XV01 of my own but they are so expensive compared to TT02’s lol!

I think I could buy me one for christmas as a present to myself this year. 

I had a TT01 with the long damper mod, and all metal arms to add weight and stability. With rally block tires. The biggest problem for me was having dirt all over the tub chassis. Love how they got rid of that problem on the xv01.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I think I could buy me one for christmas as a present to myself this year. 

I had a TT01 with the long damper mod, and all metal arms to add weight and stability. With rally block tires. The biggest problem for me was having dirt all over the tub chassis. Love how they got rid of that problem on the xv01.

I think you definitely deserve one, and to build thread it too like @Badcrumble

Yep if I ever get an XV01 I think they do a long damper spec kit without a Bodyshell, this will be my choice as I have a few shells needing a chassis, not looking forward to building it with all those aforementioned spacers... but that’s never my tip top favourite part of the process ( it might be nice to build a belt car though who knows)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason1145 said:

I think you definitely deserve one, and to build thread it too like @Badcrumble

Yep if I ever get an XV01 I think they do a long damper spec kit without a Bodyshell, this will be my choice as I have a few shells needing a chassis, not looking forward to building it with all those aforementioned spacers... but that’s never my tip top favourite part of the process ( it might be nice to build a belt car though who knows)

I'll be starting my build thread soon. I've bought the carbon long damper towers for it. I'm searching for the blue bits to make it a Pro but I'm still undecided about the body, although I might make it a scale truck, just to be different. I probably won't make up my mind until the last minute.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I'll be starting my build thread soon. I've bought the carbon long damper towers for it. I'm searching for the blue bits to make it a Pro but I'm still undecided about the body, although I might make it a scale truck, just to be different. I probably won't make up my mind until the last minute.

Cool will watch out for it... a truck?? That will be novel... like the TT01 Man Racing type? 

How are you finding searching for the hop ups, it’s not as cheap as a TT02 is it?!

23 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Cool will watch out for it... a truck?? That will be novel... like the TT01 Man Racing type? 

How are you finding searching for the hop ups, it’s not as cheap as a TT02 is it?!

I meant Asterion type truck but not that body.

I think the body will be dictated by the suspension movement when it's done. There's a couple of Asterion videos on YouTube that look like that have F1 suspension, a truck bouncing over little pebbles just looks wrong. Another thought was to make a rally car but set up for a tarmac stage, perhaps in a Pikes Peak style. However it turns out, it's too nice to beat the underneath to death, an XV chassis is around £18 compared to £8 ish for a TT02.

I've found some hop-up parts from a Hong Kong seller but it's still a money thing. The first decision is to build it with the nylon diff gears and change them if they break or change to metallic bits first.

• Like 2

Wow that is fast granddad. What motor/esc/battery setup are you running?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lucasan said:

Wow that is fast granddad. What motor/esc/battery setup are you running?

It's one of these. It has the high speed gear set in it (68t) but only 19t pinion, so it's very undergeared. I think we clocked it at 28mph.

I purposely started low and used an adjustable motor mount, so I can monitor the speed difference as I change the pinion. I've fitted a 21t pinion now, which @martinjpayne calculates to be worth about 33mph but we haven't tried it yet.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282956835408

• Like 1

The first time I saw how it moves (i.e. nose heavy, tail light), I thought, "wow, that's how real really cars move! I want one!"  

I wouldn't want Asterion.  Bigger wheels would make me expect it to move like a full buggy, but the chassis is a rally chassis in my opinion.  I want a real rally car look too, like Granddad's and Martin's!  (But XV-01)  

Does anybody know how "long suspension" works?  Does it make a lot of difference?  Arms are kinda short anyway, so would it make much difference?  

Look how XV01 turns.  I think it's awesome.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Juggular said:

The first time I saw how it moves (i.e. nose heavy, tail light), I thought, "wow, that's how real really cars move! I want one!"  

I wouldn't want Asterion.  Bigger wheels would make me expect it to move like a full buggy, but the chassis is a rally chassis in my opinion.  I want a real rally car look too, like Granddad's and Martin's!  (But XV-01)  

Does anybody know how "long suspension" works?  Does it make a lot of difference?  Arms are kinda short anyway, so would it make much difference?  

Look how XV01 turns.  I think it's awesome.  

That's a cool video, I must have missed that one.

The long shock towers let you fit the same 70mm ish shocks that fit the front of DTs and TT02B. I think they're mini-shocks but I could be wrong? Usually it takes the next size down, I think super-minis, around 62mm. It doesn't make a huge difference but gives the car a more realistic look when it corners and stops and starts, together with a bit more scope for adjustments......

.....I think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said: