DK308

Rally car. Which one and why?

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

The first time I saw how it moves (i.e. nose heavy, tail light), I thought, "wow, that's how real really cars move! I want one!"  

I wouldn't want Asterion.  Bigger wheels would make me expect it to move like a full buggy, but the chassis is a rally chassis in my opinion.  I want a real rally car look too, like Granddad's and Martin's!  (But XV-01)  

Does anybody know how "long suspension" works?  Does it make a lot of difference?  Arms are kinda short anyway, so would it make much difference?  

Look how XV01 turns.  I think it's awesome.  

I agree with you to a point. But if I run a rally spec XV-01 on my dreadful back lawn (my running space of choice / necessity) it won’t be a lot of fun.

These rally spec XVs look amazing on a track or rally course but for my purposes I think the truck spec will do just fine for me.

I have seen an explanation of the long damper spec somewhere. From memory, there’s no change to overall ride height but increased damping capability through longer piston stroke / springs.

Oh, the Asterion was cheaper too :D coz no-one wants a butt-ugly truck where you can see the motor at the front, the graphics are rubbish and it has a stupid name!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I think you definitely deserve one, and to build thread it too like @Badcrumble

I haven’t done a build thread :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Badcrumble said:

I have seen an explanation of the long damper spec somewhere. From memory, there’s no change to overall ride height but increased damping capability through longer piston stroke / springs.

That's my understanding of it as well.

3 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

no-one wants a butt-ugly truck where you can see the motor at the front, the graphics are rubbish and it has a stupid name!

🤣😂🤣😂

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I haven’t done a build thread :ph34r:

You have, it’s just all jumbled up in the “What have you done today” thread :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have pretty much all the chassis, 

TB01LA, TT01/02, TL01LA, TA01/02, DF03RA and XV01.

the XV01 is a more complicated chassis, but one drive and it’s obvious it needs to be to be this much better handling vehicle than all others put together. This car is joyful to drive you can expertly put the front or the back where you want it very easily. The handling trait is that it just pivots on the front wheels so you come into corners and you can either clip the apex or take a full tail out drift all the way through the corner and easily just straighten it out on the exit. 

With all the other chassis the handling is more center or rear centric by that I mean you chuck it into a slide and the whole car seems to mindlessly drift in an unrealistic kind of strange manner. The drift also has to be seriously deliberate with these other cars, the XV01 will tuck its nose in and rotate and seem to hold its drift for as long as you want and the millisecond you don’t it just comes out of the drift. All those other chassis you spend time setting up the drift then sit and wait for it to respond when you want to get out of it. It means the xv01 can take realistic sized corners with ease but the rest of those chassis styles the corners need twice as much space. 

The one thing the XV01 doesn’t do well is big stupid unrealistically sized jumps. On a reastic jump (IE: no more than twice the height of the car) it’s fine, but go too big and it’s hard to control the nose dive, which virtually all those other chassis don’t suffer quite as badly from, based almost exclusively on the front to back weight distribution.

the XV01 in standard form can take full advantage of its mini shocks. The XV01 long damper is for the tinkerers, in order to get the best from the longer dampers you need to do some cutting and grinding, lose the droop stops etc. if fitted with GF01 alloy damper set you gain a bit more travel and ride height over the stock long dampers but more grinding is necessary, it’s simple and straight forward with a Dremel. Once these mods are done you need the sway bar kit to tame the traction, but the result is an amazing realistic and highly capable drive as you can get that huge amount of negative travel for soaking up those big jumps.  You’ll want a set of trf201 front springs with the gf01 shocks, the TRF201 front springs are the softest you can get, much softer than the DF03 and trf501 spring sets which look similar but are totally different. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

I have pretty much all the chassis, 

TB01LA, TT01/02, TL01LA, TA01/02, DF03RA and XV01.

the XV01 is a more complicated chassis, but one drive and it’s obvious it needs to be to be this much better handling vehicle than all others put together. This car is joyful to drive you can expertly put the front or the back where you want it very easily. The handling trait is that it just pivots on the front wheels so you come into corners and you can either clip the apex or take a full tail out drift all the way through the corner and easily just straighten it out on the exit. 

With all the other chassis the handling is more center or rear centric by that I mean you chuck it into a slide and the whole car seems to mindlessly drift in an unrealistic kind of strange manner. The drift also has to be seriously deliberate with these other cars, the XV01 will tuck its nose in and rotate and seem to hold its drift for as long as you want and the millisecond you don’t it just comes out of the drift. All those other chassis you spend time setting up the drift then sit and wait for it to respond when you want to get out of it. It means the xv01 can take realistic sized corners with ease but the rest the corners need twice as much space. 

The one thing the XV01 doesn’t do well is big stupid unrealistically sized jumps. On a reastic jump (IE: no more than twice the height of the car) it’s fine, but go too big and it’s hard to control the nose dive, which virtually all those other chassis don’t suffer from, based almost exclusively on the front to back weight distribution.

the XV01 in standard form can take full advantage of its mini shocks. The XV01 long damper is for the tinkerers, in order to get the best from the longer dampers you need to do some cutting and grinding, loose the droop stops etc. if fitted with GF01 alloy damper set you gain a bit more travel and ride height over the stock long dampers but more grinding is necessary, it’s simple and straight forward with a Dremel. Once these mods are done you need the sway bar kit to tame the traction, but the result is an amazing realistic and highly capable drive as you can get that huge amount of negative travel for soaking up those big jumps. 

Sooooooo....

You quite like it then? 🤷‍♂️ I look forward to building mine. 😁

If you’ve spent a lot of time rallying all the typical layout cars, the traits of the xv01 are initially surprising and once you spend a bit more time on it the grin gets bigger, going back to the other styles is almost impossible. It is a car for tinkerers though IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juls1 said:

If you’ve spent a lot of time rallying all the typical layout cars, the traits of the xv01 are initially surprising and once you spend a bit more time on it the grin gets bigger, going back to the other styles is almost impossible. It is a car for tinkerers though IMO. 

Kool. I live to tinker. 👍🤓

On 8/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, Jason1145 said:

I love your XV01!

I need an XV01 of my own but they are so expensive compared to TT02’s lol!

but there is something to be said about the simplicity of the TT02 chassis.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just out of curiosity why has no one mentioned an MF-01X or is that blasphemous ?! ;) I have a TT0-2R with the Lancia HF shell and a fair few hopups it's quite good fun but I wondered if an MF-01x chassis with the Yeah Racing Long span kit might be good?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gizard said:

Just out of curiosity why has no one mentioned an MF-01X or is that blasphemous ?! ;) I have a TT0-2R with the Lancia HF shell and a fair few hopups it's quite good fun but I wondered if an MF-01x chassis with the Yeah Racing Long span kit might be good?

I hadn't thought of that one, I'd be interested in hearing views.

I wouldn't go for the aluminium kit though, one run in the gravel and it'll look terrible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gizard said:

Actually, your suggestion made me wonder if MF01X could be run backward, so the motor would be in front?  Then it could be almost like XV01.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Juggular said:

Actually, your suggestion made me wonder if MF01X could be run backward, so the motor would be in front?  Then it could be almost like XV01.

Then it would steer like a fork- lift truck. 😂

• Haha 2

Also, it seems like MF01X has a battery far away from the motor to balance the weight somewhat.  Since it has a modular mid section, I wonder if they could move the battery closer to the motor and make it into a front engine car...  Rear engine does make sense for VW bug, but not a lot of cars have engine at the tail end.

The mf01x makes a poorer rally can than a TL01. Albeit it makes a better rally car than it does a crawler (which it’s pretty hopeless at)

the rear motor layout has simply too much weight out back, in stock form on a silver can the jimmy shell does wheelies from standstill on grippy surfaces. This gives you a idea how rear centric the layout is. It’s certainly not easy to drift, it’s actually a bit of a pain to drive really. This being said with a vw beetle shell it’s probably realistic to drive. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Juls1 said:

The mf01x makes a poorer rally can than a TL01. Albeit it makes a better rally car than it does a crawler (which it’s pretty hopeless at)

the rear motor layout has simply too much weight out back, in stock form on a silver can the jimmy shell does wheelies from standstill on grippy surfaces. This gives you a idea how rear centric the layout is. It’s certainly not easy to drift, it’s actually a bit of a pain to drive really. This being said with a vw beetle shell it’s probably realistic to drive. 

The MF01X is pretty pricey as well, considering you only get pogo sticks with it, not even friction damping. Licensing fees again I presume.

However, it would be a good base for an Old Skool or Cal-Looker. Once you match the headlamps and bumper for any given year.

• Like 2

Must admit the XV-01 Pro Rally does look like the better option - Although I do like the idea of the Modular MF-01x - 959 Paris-Dakar ReRe anyone? 

• Like 1

I've been reading up and watching vids on the XV-01 recently and I absolutely love the Lancia Delta Integrale - one of my favourite cars ever. It's my 40th in a few weeks time and might get one with some (if I am a lucky boy) birthday money :) I like the idea that this chassis looks more suited to off-road driving over the TT02 Lancia, and of course the build will be different too (I've got a TT-02 road chassis so something different would be fun).

Do the typical Tamiya ESC's fit inside its covered area, or does it require a different/smaller one? On Tamico's site one of the recommended items is a Tamiya ESC I've not had any experience with. 

The info in this thread has been really interesting and handy to ready, thanks! :)

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 5:46 AM, dc-arena said:

I've been reading up and watching vids on the XV-01 recently and I absolutely love the Lancia Delta Integrale - one of my favourite cars ever. It's my 40th in a few weeks time and might get one with some (if I am a lucky boy) birthday money :) 

I hope you get your birthday money.  And I hope you let us know the difference!  

The tamiya esc does fit, you’ll need longer wires for whatever motor you use apart from stock.

Right guys. I am after a bit of advice with the XV-01. This car will be for pure fun, bashing on gravel, dirt, car parks all in the name of having a laugh with it.

So, any recommendations on what servo I should get? Water resistance sounds maybe a good idea as it will no doubt get muddy etc. I normally just buy a Futuba S3003 for my Tamiya buggies which work well enough for messing around, but am happy to spend a little more if it’s a worthwhile upgrade since the XV-01 is a better kit than what I normally have. 

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

Right guys. I am after a bit of advice with the XV-01. This car will be for pure fun, bashing on gravel, dirt, car parks all in the name of having a laugh with it.

So, any recommendations on what servo I should get? Water resistance sounds maybe a good idea as it will no doubt get muddy etc. I normally just buy a Futuba S3003 for my Tamiya buggies which work well enough for messing around, but am happy to spend a little more if it’s a worthwhile upgrade since the XV-01 is a better kit than what I normally have. 

S3003 was used in the blackholesun.fr build and what I have got to put in my XV-01T but I’m not at that stage yet.

http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/37-en/my-models/off-road/rally/278-tamiya-58528-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-team-arai-xv01

I just ordered mine from Tamico (their last one according to the inventory). Can’t wait!! :)

I may well do a build thread if people would like to see it...

• Like 2