Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

My Egress 2013 Build and Review

Good evening all. I received my Egress from RCMart on Tuesday, a weel after ordering. IN this thread Ill capture my expereince buidling it and running it. It wont be a strict build thread as there have been plenty. 

Here she is safe and sound in the awesome RCMART packing. Great job guys!!!

s5z7ed.jpg

Again Im not going to capture every step on this build. Just some key moments in m opinion and any thoughts I have. Here I just finished buidling the diffs, getting ready to marry the two decks. The ball diffs are exact copies of Associate's stealth differential. Im ok with that, they are bomb proof. I even used left over Associate ball differential lube I had left over from my Hilux/Stealth build.

2vskpc2.jpg

• Like 3

Today I started painting the body and undertray so it'll be ready for a test drive as soon as the chassis is completed. Here the lower and top chassis plates are mounted up. Also installed the gorgeous blue rod ends! Not sure why Tamiya didn't include these.

10872uc.jpg

9h3vja.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built mine back in 2013 and I'm still looking forward to the rest of your mini build thread🙄🙄 .....WE WANT MORE😉

• Like 1

More to come!! Sorry for rotated pics, I'm not sure why it's doing that. I'll be doing alot of building today! 

This is now the fifth one of these "Avante" chassis I've built. I did a vanquish with a graphite chassis about 15 years ago, I've restored two original Avantes and had a BS Avante. This build just seems more spescial for some reason. The plastics seem improved even from the BS Avante. The plastic appears to be the "glass fibre" reinforced type. 

Are those blue arms easily obtainable still? They do look cool. I keep thinking about an Egress... 

1 hour ago, dc-arena said:

Are those blue arms easily obtainable still? They do look cool. I keep thinking about an Egress... 

I think someone has already mentioned this before so sorry for repeating but super clod buster F parts have the blue knuckles that are the same!

• Like 1

Exactly, I purchased Clod Buster F parts in Blue. Total cost shipped was.less than $10.00. you will get (8) adjusters which is exactly what you need.

Almost done. Here is the completed front end minus the Hicaps. Love the blue rod ends. As I build this I realized AGAIN why i Love Tamiya. I dont care if this is/was the fastest car around the track. For me Tamiya means a fun and beutiful build that can do well on the track if the effort is put in. The trak isnt the cars sole purpose in life and it shouldnt be Tamiya's either.  Sure the TRF 5xxs are track monsters but they are also interpretatons of the same theme by other manufactures. I like the sexy lines of a Top Fore, Avante, Egress and even the Durga. Make us a new Durga/Egress Tamiya and we will continue to buy!.

PS Tiny Pic continues to do crazy stuff to my pics!!!

23i6q0o.jpg

• Like 3

Yummy hicaps built and assembled!!!I tried to make a bf8/9 mount. They look good for display but too flimsy. Will be removed for running. If anyone wants to sell me their repros or originals please let me know!!!!

00000_PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20180811144020

00000_PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20180811144028

• Like 2

Some kits are just functional works of art.  This is definitely one of them.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:22 AM, fractalife said:

The damper looks tougher than Avante!

They are pretty impressive. The Hicaps are almost as big as Tamiyas current big bores shocks. This car is FANTASTIC!

Well she's done, what a GREAT build!!!! The front and rear shocks utilize 50 weight losi oil with 3 hole pistons.  Im running the one way right now, but Im on the hunt for the Avante Center diff, I just need the rear joint.  

Front End.

front-finished.jpg

• Like 4

Yay, the pics are fixed!!!! Here are some more shots.

side.jpg

Its best side!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, GTodd said:

but Im on the hunt for the Avante Center diff, I just need the rear joint.  

Check Nitro-Master on eBay.  He has the whole driveshaft assembly for 10 plus shipping.

Nice!  Shipping can be high from him but he often combines a number of items in a single listing so for the most part good value can be had.

Painting and triming the body was very interesting. The body is VERY thin, going to order a TBG for track work as I don't think the OEM body will hold up. However, the undertray and wing have got to be twice as thick. Very hard to cut but they should last for a very long time. 

Thought I'd give them a bit of a retro feel with the motors! When the original egress hit the shelves I was doing the family thing kids, house, no money etc so it passed me by but looking at old tamiya picture's which of the dynatech motors was the hop-up option? 

20180818_180455.jpg

The original Tamiya Catalog has the O2H as the Egress motor, "it" even comes with an Egress/Avante motor plate. Nice cars!!!! I had an Avante BS that was a fun build.

Ball differentials.

These things are super smooth.  The ease in adjusting is awesome! One turn out is too loose, I was running them 1/4 turn out from all the way in. That was too tight and was causing the car to spin out in the back yard. Im running them 1/2 out from fully tighten. Ill wait until i get to my track to adjust them further. 

Ive got about (10) runs through it now in my back yard, this thing is a blast. Alt less twitchy then I remember my Avnate BS being. I deffiniely willl be ordering an Avante afte the holidays. These cars are so much fun. Actually maybe ill get  a optima mid!