TwistedxSlayer

TT02B Motor and ESC?

Ive got a HPI Firebolt 15t motor and a 23t LRP motor and no esc. The HW1060 is out of the question as the brakes are rubbish. So Im looking at either the Mtroniks Viper 15t or 20t esc. I think the 15t is the better option as then i could run either motor but it costs more. The question I guess is... which motor is the better one for me?

My tt02b is pretty much MS spec.

Sticking with brushed and NiHM.

Ive used 2 hpi 15t firebolts in 2 cars before i went brushless. I feel they are hit and miss, the two i used a few times in my own tt02b ms was nothing special speed wise, even if i geared up. I even put one in my monster beetle and it was more of the same.  I still have one sealed because someone was selling them for $10 shipped, i was thinking of putting them in my txt2 because alot of people say they are good in it

• Like 1

I think it's not the motor, it's the gear ratio of the car.  

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable using 15t unless I could use it with a 13t pinion on an onroad car.  15t on TT02B using 16t pinion(smallest) may drive like 23t motor anyway.  

Lower turn motors do have more torque, but that torque comes with speed.  Unless speed can be gained quickly enough, 15t may not get to the high RPM to use the extra torque.  It could just struggle.  I have a 21t on DN01 Zahhak.  But I don't think I'd dare installing a 15t on it unless I get a much much smaller pinion.

I have 13x2t Reedy, but I don't think I'll ever use it on an off-road car.  Maybe if I get a low geared, light weight, small tired Mini Cooper.

Im not after massive speed. Just want something i can bash daily. I am leaning towards the LRP. Mainly as its rebuildable and just feels like a better motor than the HPI one. And the ESC is cheaper for it. Lol.

If im to run the 23t which pinion size would be best? Standard pinion gear.

I'd go with the smallest, 16t for TT02B, I think?  

"Up the motor, down the pinion" was the edict before the brushless motors. (I forgot the actual phrasing, but you get my point)  Since TT02B comes with a 17t pinion, I'm sure that's what 27t silver can is most effective with.  Then I'd go with 16t pinion for the 23t motor.  That will allow the 23t to use all the speed and torque. 

2 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

The HW1060 is out of the question as the brakes are rubbish

Found the 1060 has great brakes with a 15t firebolt, if you set it to for/rev ,it has drag brake in neutral that's better than brakes in for/brak/ Rev! 

Saying that, I've also played about with the end point in rev and at 20%, it will not quite lock the wheels on a boomerang, slamming it straight into reverse if you need extra brakes.

40 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Found the 1060 has great brakes with a 15t firebolt, if you set it to for/rev ,it has drag brake in neutral that's better than brakes in for/brak/ Rev! 

Saying that, I've also played about with the end point in rev and at 20%, it will not quite lock the wheels on a boomerang, slamming it straight into reverse if you need extra brakes.

Maybe they just werent that effective trying to stop a Levant

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used a HPI 15T firebolt in my TT-02B, it was okay. Fairly fast and good acceleration with a standard size pinion. My friend also had a HPI firebolt in his Neo Scorcher and it started smoking after the first run with standard gears. I've heard several places that these motors are hit or miss.

I've been using the same Arrma Mega 15T brushed motor in several vehicles and I can't kill it. They're dirt cheap and relatively quick. It's starting to show its age though, the motor is definitely louder but haven't noticed a drop in performance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelo said:

I used a HPI 15T firebolt in my TT-02B, it was okay. Fairly fast and good acceleration with a standard size pinion. My friend also had a HPI firebolt in his Neo Scorcher and it started smoking after the first run with standard gears. I've heard several places that these motors are hit or miss.

I've been using the same Arrma Mega 15T brushed motor in several vehicles and I can't kill it. They're dirt cheap and relatively quick. It's starting to show its age though, the motor is definitely louder but haven't noticed a drop in performance.

I have the same Arrma motor in my DT-03.  It's really quite quick, and like you said, durable, especially for a 20 dollar motor.  In my TT-02B i have a 13.5T hobbywing with a matching ESC and a 19 tooth pinion.  Decent torque and topspeed.  I've never had a problem with this setup other than having to replace the bevel gear on the driveshaft and the spur gear a couple times after a fair amount of use.

• Like 1

The drivetrain in my TT02B is bomb proof. Complete GPM rear diff and (TB01) Levant up front with DF02 CVDs. Think im gonna stick with the 23t LRP motor on 17t pinion and the 15t firebolt can just sit in a box. I like the look of the Mtroniks 20t ESC. I ran a Mtroniks RV11 esc for about 12 years before it died.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steelo said:

My friend also had a HPI firebolt in his Neo Scorcher and it started smoking after the first run with standard gears.  

It's cheap, and when somebody's motor smokes, everybody cheers and claps!  It's fun (especially when it's somebody else's motor). 

That incident sounds like the gearing was a bit too tall for the 15t motor.  

I think what happened might be that the motor wasn't rotating fast enough.  So the brushes got caught between two contacts of the commutator.  Instead of an innocent spark as the brushes fly between the contacts, they were probably shorting.... burning the enamel wires.  Electric motors are designed to rotate fast.  If not, they burn.  With the same exact gearing, I think there is a possibility that a 17t or 19t could be faster.  I tend to be cautious, so I would not push it with a 15t, myself.  (But also pushing it could be fun too)  

If you are looking for an ESC to run it, why not look at brushless?  I think the 13.5T brushless with 19T pinion is a great match for the chassis.  If you have the TBLE-02S already then you just need the motor too.  A Trackstar or Speed Passion motor can be had for pretty decent money too and they perform well.

• Like 1

My son runs a 9t Brushless setup in his and its pretty good all round, although it keeps killing the plastic bevel gear on the rear of the prop shaft, im pretty sure the metal DF02 diffs and bevel pinion gears fit, could anyone confirm before i spend money on them. 

3 hours ago, tamiya monkey said:

My son runs a 9t Brushless setup in his and its pretty good all round, although it keeps killing the plastic bevel gear on the rear of the prop shaft, im pretty sure the metal DF02 diffs and bevel pinion gears fit, could anyone confirm before i spend money on them. 

Yeah they fit mate. There is a tiny little bit of sanding required to fit them into the TT02B gear cases though. Nothing major from what I can tell.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tamiya monkey said:

You need the metal gear bag and the diff houses as there are only 3 gears in the DF02 diff vs 4 in the TT02 diff.  The diffs are physically the same size so drop right in.  If you buy the metal parts bag then you get the gears for 2 diffs and also a 19T pinion.

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Yeah they fit mate. There is a tiny little bit of sanding required to fit them into the TT02B gear cases though. Nothing major from what I can tell.

Yep you need to sand down the metal pinion gear from the DF02 as the collar (is that the right term?) is longer than the plastic one.  It will be obvious when you have the 2 side by side and one is longer.  I just used a file, it only took a few minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ordered a Mtroniks RV20 ESC. Not gonna run the firebolt. Will be using the LRP 23t motor. It feels much better built and it is rebuildable.