Sign in to follow this  
hammer10

Hornet re-release question(s)...

I am considering buying a Hornet re-release to add a buggy to my stable and I'm wondering if there is a Tamiya oil-filled front shock option? Also, what tires/wheels (particularly rear) are good for rally-type running (i.e. on/off road) for the Hornet? Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks!

tamiya didnt make a front damper set up for the hornet,as it has little o rings in the spring cups to add a little damping,ive seen after market damper set ups for it(if you look through the members cars you should find a set up)i personally dont see the point as the hornet has restricted rear sus travel and its got a limit to how well it handles.just live with its flaws and drive accordingly,i use ford ranger/roughrider rear wheels on and off road or you could use the oval block set up 2.1" wheels and run any old 2.1"tyre combination.

There were a number of vintage kits out there for oil damped shocks. I have the CRP kit on my Hornet.

img34_30012003170326_4.jpg

It requires you to hack the chassis to install their shock towers. The most convienent one I have seen is the You-G kit which bolts right into place of the stock boingers.

I would venture to say that since Tamiya is going full scale with the hornet re-release by also making an XB hornet, aftermarket companies will start to make hop ups for it again. I bet this time around the hop ups are going to be better made than their vintage counterparts

Another option was the Panda Cyclone with front oil shocks that used the stock tamiya style towers.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I may have to make due with the stock front suspension for now, and concentrate on picking up a pair of more pavement friendly rear tires.

Hammer, I have a Parma NIP front kit that allows you to use the OE shock tower (without cutting them as Jim's pic shows). Let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Jay