TWINSET

Supreme Tamiya Hornet

11 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Other then Imelda Marcos, I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone collecting shoes as a hobby. 

ipDy2xh.gif

• Haha 2

this will be available august 20 2018...don't look very special to me except for the paint job..and having no bearing might keep the price a lillte cheaper...now if they hooked it up with some oil filled front shocks or something...that would be special.

Wow, this forward thinking and lucrative collaboration will no doubt enrich the Tamiya brand. I'm impressed. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Wow, this forward thinking and lucrative collaboration will no doubt enrich the Tamiya brand. I'm impressed. 

"First in Branding Tie-Ins Around The World" doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

• Haha 1

BorDqXWIEAAYk4S.jpg

Never heard of the Supreme brand before but does anyone else remember Beef Supreme?

Also, I wouldn't mind a President Camacho on the T3-01 chassis:

idiocracy-2006-02-g.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blista said:

does anyone else remember Beef Supreme?

This movie will never go away lol 😂

And all of the cars in the movie were epically stupid, including the hilarious police vehicles:

mrR64ve.jpg

• Like 1

That first pic looks like it could be a Supreme shirt:lol: And they'd only charge $300+ for it. I'll be very surprised if this Hornet isn't a LOT more than any other Hornet variant.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, Juggernut said:

Other then Imelda Marcos, I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone collecting shoes as a hobby. 

You must have been living in a cave then. It dwarfs RC collecting in terms of size, money spent & popularity. RC is also a dying hobby whilst sneaker collecting just grows bigger each year.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:28 AM, Biz73 said:

Cool is all in the eye of the beholder. I see sneaker heads and think they are the biggest dorks ever. I also ride a skateboard and play with toy cars at 45, so maybe I'm just the dork:D

The sneaker heads and the Supreme nuts definitely have some crossover.

All forms of collecting look geeky to the outsider looking in. Whether it's RC, sneakers, model railways, stamps, coins, art....the list goes on. They are all obsessive in nature and those immersed in them care passionately about small details that the average joe on the street couldn't give two hoots about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2018 at 4:57 AM, OCD said:
On 8/17/2018 at 4:20 AM, Juggernut said:

ipDy2xh.gif

I've never heard of it either. I've met women who appear to collect shoes, though they would likely not admit to it being a hobby. But collecting trainers? Er, no.

There's nothing to build or paint or anything. So what's involved? Just displaying them on a shelf like a shoe shop?

I read online that it's a 400 dollar car.  Supreme logo or not the battery door will still pop open while driving it.  The graphics on this car are complete garbage.  Makes it look like a cheap 30 dollar department store RC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 78Triumph said:

I read online that it's a 400 dollar car.  Supreme logo or not the battery door will still pop open while driving it.  The graphics on this car are complete garbage.  Makes it look like a cheap 30 dollar department store RC.

$400 that's egress tertiary and I know which one I would have! Na think I'll give that one a miss especially when ya know how much you can buy a regular one for🤔 I think it's a case of lets see how much we can take people for😒 not cool!

• Like 1

Another garbage repaint release.

Should call it the Supreme Disappointment Hornet. Nothing beats the look of the original, not the black special or the jun wannabe or any other variant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fuijo said:

I've never heard of it either. I've met women who appear to collect shoes, though they would likely not admit to it being a hobby. But collecting trainers? Er, no.

There's nothing to build or paint or anything. So what's involved? Just displaying them on a shelf like a shoe shop?

No offense, but you don't seem to understand the concept of what a hobby actually is. It's basically any regular activity that is done for one's personal enjoyment. And obtaining items to be added to a personal collection is definitely a hobby for a lot of people around the world. And while some sneaker collectors do buy the shoes for display purposes only most people do actually wear them. Even so though, displaying sneakers on a shelf is completely normal these days as some of the wildly creative designs make them wearable pieces of art.

There are a multitude of items collected by people that were never intended simply for display purposes only when created. The list is endless.

I would have thought Tamiya collectors, more than anyone, would understand the mentality of sneaker collecting. I mean we are talking about a bunch of people who buy RC kits and never ever have any intention of building them and build the kits but never have any intention of running them. And let's not get started on the "3 box rule". :lol:

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2018 at 12:52 AM, Wandy said:

No offense, but you don't seem to understand the concept of what a hobby actually is

Yes, I'm a very slow learner. Maybe if you use smaller words and speak very slowly I'll get it one day.

It's basically any regular activity that is done for one's personal enjoyment.

Well, I'm following you so far. I think it's perhaps the definition of activity where our opinions differ.

And obtaining items to be added to a personal collection is definitely a hobby for a lot of people around the world.

I just call that shopping. Not really a hobby as such in my book.

And while some sneaker collectors do buy the shoes for display purposes only most people do actually wear them.

So shoe shopping then.

I would have thought Tamiya collectors, more than anyone, would understand the mentality of sneaker collecting. I mean we are talking about a bunch of people who buy RC kits and never ever have any intention of building them and build the kits but never have any intention of running them. And let's not get started on the "3 box rule"

I'm with you on the former and the latter. Building though, for me, qualifies as an activity, and therefore a hobby.

If brand-collaboration adds 'value' and desirability to a mainstream product, why does this one look like a 15 quid Chinese rip-off from the pound shop ?

On 8/18/2018 at 8:18 AM, Wandy said:

You must have been living in a cave then. It dwarfs RC collecting in terms of size, money spent & popularity. RC is also a dying hobby whilst sneaker collecting just grows bigger each year.

I like my cave.  Keeps me grounded. :D

But seriously, never heard of it beyond kids going crazy over the new pair of $500 Jordans and kids having their new pair of $500 Jordans stolen while walking down the street.  I chalked it up to teen fashion obsession and peer pressure.  And I'm a man that appreciates a quality/comfortable pair of shoes.  I'd have a sizable "collection" if it weren't for my wife throwing out the more broken-in specimens because she claims they "smell".

And I'd never poo poo another person's obsession.  Live and let live is my motto.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StrokerBoy said:

If brand-collaboration adds 'value' and desirability to a mainstream product, why does this one look like a 15 quid Chinese rip-off from the pound shop ?

That is the Supreme business plan. Take something cheap, put their logo on it, and sell it for top $$.

Another from BigSquid.  Do you see a theme emerging???

The latest collaboration from Tamiya is with Air Jam. Air Jam is a Japanese music festival that features some of the best rock bands from Japan, After watching a highlight video from Air Jam 2017, Cubby is already making plans to attend next year! The Air Jam Grasshopper comes as a limited release kit that is available from the official Air Jam website.

* Assembly kit with special Air Jam 2018 decal sheet
* Special decal sheet not available separately
* Supplied with transmitter, battery, and charger
* Clear polycarbonate body

Pricing for this limited release is just $230 (around 250,000 yen) and it is expected to start shipping any time now. Use This Link for more details on the official Air Jam 2018 website.

01.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fuijo said:

sarcasm

If you are suggesting that it's only activities that involve building or creating something that can be classed as a hobby then there aren't many hobbies in this world.

The fact that you look down your nose at sneaker collecting is irrelevant. It's a hobby which is part of a billion dollar industry that gets bigger with each passing year.

I doubt that your average sneaker collector has even heard of Tamiya, let alone be aware that there are Tamiya hobbyists who go "RC Shopping" to buy kits that they will never actually build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I like my cave.  Keeps me grounded. :D

But seriously, never heard of it beyond kids going crazy over the new pair of $500 Jordans and kids having their new pair of $500 Jordans stolen while walking down the street.  I chalked it up to teen fashion obsession and peer pressure.  And I'm a man that appreciates a quality/comfortable pair of shoes.  I'd have a sizable "collection" if it weren't for my wife throwing out the more broken-in specimens because she claims they "smell".

And I'd never poo poo another person's obsession.  Live and let live is my motto.

It used to be only youngsters who were "sneakerheads" but the demographic has definitely changed over recent years, with your average collector being in the 28 to 45 year old age group. Stuff like Jordans & Air Max are rooted in the 1980s so it's pretty understandable that middle-aged collectors are becoming ever-more prominent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Another from BigSquid.  Do you see a theme emerging???

The latest collaboration from Tamiya is with Air Jam. Air Jam is a Japanese music festival that features some of the best rock bands from Japan, After watching a highlight video from Air Jam 2017, Cubby is already making plans to attend next year! The Air Jam Grasshopper comes as a limited release kit that is

My goodness!  Sorry to repeat myself but, wow, this forward thinking and lucrative collaboration will no doubt enrich the Tamiya brand. I'm impressed. (yet again!)

15 hours ago, Wandy said:
On 8/20/2018 at 11:12 AM, Fuijo said:

sarcasm

You don't think that was well deserved after this?

On 8/18/2018 at 2:18 PM, Wandy said:

You must have been living in a cave then.

and this?

No offense, but you don't seem to understand the concept of what a hobby actually is. It's basically any regular activity that is done for one's personal enjoyment.

I particularly like the use of "no offense" in advance.

I don't think that only activities that involve building something are hobbies. I'm just not conviced that buying articles of clothing or footwear, even if in quantities that far exceed what is required to

have something to wear, is a hobby. In much the same way that brushing my teeth isn't either, no matter how many toothbrushes I buy. But that is just my opinion. If people want to call that

a hobby then it's fine by me. I just don't agree with them. I do admit to finding it surprising, and a little amusing, but I feel that way about lots of things in life. It doesn't mean I'm looking down my nose at them.

I personally stopped buying trainers in my late teens, which was a very long time ago. I've had no further interest in them since then, and I knew of no other people who did, until I saw this thread.

Why is that so hard to believe?

15 hours ago, Wandy said:

I doubt that your average sneaker collector has even heard of Tamiya, let alone be aware that there are Tamiya hobbyists who go "RC Shopping" to buy kits that they will never actually build.

So some of them haven't heard of us, and some of us haven't heard of them. Does that about cover it?

5 hours ago, Fuijo said:

I'm just not conviced that buying articles of clothing or footwear, even if in quantities that far exceed what is required to have something to wear, is a hobby. 

I was chatting to my sneakerhead friend this morning, I learned that in addition to the purchasing, cataloguing, display (and even wearing) of trainers, there’s a whole sub-sect devoted to the restoration of ‘vintage’ sneakers. They send them away to ‘surgeons’ to repair worn leather and damaged soles.

The more I learn, the more parallels with  what I’ve seen in TC.

Of course, you could even race with sneakers...

• Haha 1