Peter_B

Basher Buggy/Truck - maybe Traxxas or similar

I recently (re)discovered a local country park that would make an awesome place for bashing. At some point I intend to take my boys there, with the their cars, and have some fun. The terrain is quite challenging, lots of hills and gulleys and grass that could get quite long (depending on whether the resident sheep have been munching on it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_Dassett_Hills

It's probably not a Tamiya buggy type of place, either the buggy wouldn't manage the terrain or the terrain would be too harsh resulting in breakages. I'm pretty sure my boys Lunchbox and Mad Bull will be ok, the bigger wheels will help on the terrain and, if they break, parts are easy to get and fairly cheap.

I'm not so convinced about my cars though. To start with I'll probably give my TXT-2 a run as it hasn't had one yet, but I would be very wary about breaking something. My Clodbuster is also a poosibility, most parts for those are available. I don't think any of my buggies would cope too well.

Now, when we were there the other day we saw a chap getting a Traxxas e-Revo (the 2.0 I believe) out of his car, I also now a guy (who sold me my Clod as it happens) who ran a Traxxas X-Maxx there amongst others.

Obviously that got me thinking about possibly getting something along those lines, but the e-Revo and X-Maxx especially aren't cheap. I've also seen the Arrma Kraton and other similarly sized bits of kit from Associated and Losi etc.

I think the X-Maxx might be too big, I don't know where I'd store one. But I quite like the look of the e-Revo and the Kraton looks similar, but I have no experience outside the 1/10 world.

Does anybody have any of those? Got any alternatives?

3 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

I recently (re)discovered a local country park that would make an awesome place for bashing. At some point I intend to take my boys there, with the their cars, and have some fun. The terrain is quite challenging, lots of hills and gulleys and grass that could get quite long (depending on whether the resident sheep have been munching on it).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burton_Dassett_Hills

It's probably not a Tamiya buggy type of place, either the buggy wouldn't manage the terrain or the terrain would be too harsh resulting in breakages. I'm pretty sure my boys Lunchbox and Mad Bull will be ok, the bigger wheels will help on the terrain and, if they break, parts are easy to get and fairly cheap.

I'm not so convinced about my cars though. To start with I'll probably give my TXT-2 a run as it hasn't had one yet, but I would be very wary about breaking something. My Clodbuster is also a poosibility, most parts for those are available. I don't think any of my buggies would cope too well.

Now, when we were there the other day we saw a chap getting a Traxxas e-Revo (the 2.0 I believe) out of his car, I also now a guy (who sold me my Clod as it happens) who ran a Traxxas X-Maxx there amongst others.

Obviously that got me thinking about possibly getting something along those lines, but the e-Revo and X-Maxx especially aren't cheap. I've also seen the Arrma Kraton and other similarly sized bits of kit from Associated and Losi etc.

I think the X-Maxx might be too big, I don't know where I'd store one. But I quite like the look of the e-Revo and the Kraton looks similar, but I have no experience outside the 1/10 world.

Does anybody have any of those? Got any alternatives?

I wanted a big truck so I brought an old chassis and stuck a big brushless motor in it cost me a total of £150, few videos on my you tube channel too  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIKI5oCAo5NmJ2Of02rUYsA

1 hour ago, novicelad said:

I wanted a big truck so I brought an old chassis and stuck a big brushless motor in it cost me a total of £150, few videos on my you tube channel too  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIKI5oCAo5NmJ2Of02rUYsA

Yeah I've seen your project and thought about doing similar.

But then, as much as I might enjoy building it, I'd be wary of running due to the combination of bespoke and/or discontinued parts.

• Like 1

Traxxas Stampede.   Even though only 2wd it will go most places because it's a high speed missile even without brushless or lipo power.   Tough as old boots and if you do manage to break something the parts are inexpensive and available everywhere.  Plus RPM makes some nearly unbreakable replacement parts for just a few dollars more if you want to go that route.   Once something breaks I usually replace it once with an RPM upgrade and no more breakage.  But even the stock parts are tough and the trucks are just indestructible for the most part.   Cheap in RTR form too.   I know it's not Tamiya, but it fits the bill perfectly.  

Big tires, high ground clearance and velocity = good fun on rough terrain.  

• Like 1

There are a lot of people that swear by the Arrma Kraton. They are supposed to take a serious beating and come back for more. The 1/8th size makes them a bit better than 1/10th when the grass gets taller.

1 hour ago, Biz73 said:

There are a lot of people that swear by the Arrma Kraton. They are supposed to take a serious beating and come back for more. The 1/8th size makes them a bit better than 1/10th when the grass gets taller.

I've just been trying to have more of a look at the Kraton. But I can't find anyone with stock in the UK.

13 hours ago, Peter_B said:

I've just been trying to have more of a look at the Kraton. But I can't find anyone with stock in the UK.

Its frustrating isn't it, the other one is the proline MT, Its pricey though at £339 just for the roller waiting stock at modelsport 

Or the tekno mt410 again loadsa money £415 

On 8/15/2018 at 6:04 PM, taliesin said:

Traxxas Stampede.   Even though only 2wd it will go most places because it's a high speed missile even without brushless or lipo power.   Tough as old boots and if you do manage to break something the parts are inexpensive and available everywhere.  Plus RPM makes some nearly unbreakable replacement parts for just a few dollars more if you want to go that route.   Once something breaks I usually replace it once with an RPM upgrade and no more breakage.  But even the stock parts are tough and the trucks are just indestructible for the most part.   Cheap in RTR form too.   I know it's not Tamiya, but it fits the bill perfectly.  

Big tires, high ground clearance and velocity = good fun on rough terrain.  

I do so hope your right as after reading this and being totally pee'd of continually fixing our family fleet of bashers (WT-01's and Madbulls) i have sourced a 2nd hand one. If its as stated- and I do believe from my old T Maxx that it should be a lot more robust, I will likely change them all as I sell of the family fleet one at a time and replace with Stampedes as they come up.

I've been researching quality bashers and have decided my next one will be a Tekno MT410 (previous was an E-Maxx).

My prerequisites were it had to be in kit form and it had to be durable.  The MT410 fit the bill in spades for me.

If you are looking to beat on something on a daily basis without fear of breaking something on every outing, my recommendation would be the 2WD Traxxas Stampede.  I have carried one in the back of my car now for almost 15 yrs. It's an old school black chassis 2WD model with and old yellow non-water proof XL5 ESC. Only changes I've made to the truck were upgrading to 32P Pinion and Spur Gears and metal gears in the transmission which later models come with stock.  At one point I put a newer Traxxas 2075 Steering Servo in it and replaced the old TQ radio with a newer 2.4 model. 

The truck literally has 1000's of battery packs through it and It's rare that anything every breaks. I keep it brushed and run S600 motors as I bought a ton of them for something like $5 each about 15 yrs ago.  They last about 150 packs or so before needing to be replaced and I go through a set of tires about twice a year but I drive them until they have holes worn in them. 

If you want to Beat the Mess outta something the Stampede is the way to go.  Best part is you can noramlly find a nice running truck on Ebay for around $75.00 or a brand new one for about $160. 

I have to agree with the suggestion of the Stampede.  I have two of them and they are pretty tough and reliable.  I also have a 4wd desert buggy and a Madcap,  but I always seem to default to the Stampede.  Usually because I am running in grass and rougher terrain.  The Stampede just soaks it up and goes.

Well, after a few months of living with the Stampede ... what's your conclusion?  

TBH I have blasted it a few times solo just to see what its like, HOWEVER the family fleet has not been out since it arrived and so have nothing to compare it to.

Its very robust (simple) looking with much better suspension and geometry. The motor is bigger (550 Titan) and with an 8.4V battery as stock its way quicker and like to do the odd wheelie or two.

Will let you know more as I use it properly.

• Like 1

Well after today bashing the Stampede with the rest of the family fleet I have to say it blows the WT-01's into the hedge. The suspension is sublime for bashing at BMX tracks. It jumps sooooooo far and just lands smoothly and carries on.

So bought a Ruslter VXL that came with 5 batteries....that should keep me busy.

• Like 1

For a truck who's basic design has been around since the mid 90's the Stampede works far better than imagined. I was in your shoes years ago when I relented and went Traxxas in this area. It's quite a difference over the WT01. I have yet to break any parts on mine.

• Thanks 1