Sign in to follow this  
87lc2

Glue/Adhesive Question

I'm currently working on a few hard bodies and have drilled holes for LEDs to be installed.  They are almost a press-fit, but I'll need to add some glue to keep them in place.  I know super glue will work, but if I ever have to remove the LED that will be a pain.

My question is, is there a 'removable' glue I could use in applications like this?  Hopefully something fast-setting like super glue?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I often use hot glue and have been happy with the result. If you have a dual-temp gun, you can set it to low and the glue will set up pretty quickly. Peels off pretty well in most cases too. Also gets brittle in cold weather, so take that into consideration. The biggest drawback I can think of would be the mess; hot glue tends to make tiny strings that seem to get everywhere. I've used it for years now and still make "spider webs" :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  U didnt even think of hot glue and I use it a lot for other projects.  I also don't like the strings you get from it, but at least they clean off easy.  The only issue I see with it is that it may be hard to get in delicate spots.

Also a good tip on the clear RTV, I use that a lot as well and it never crossed my mind.  I'll play around with each and see which I like better.   Thanks again for the suggestions!

• Like 1

At Hobbycraft the other day we came across "cool melt" glue sticks. Basically hot glue with a lower melting point. Good for use on thermoplastics where you don't want to risk the hot glue warping anything.