Sign in to follow this  
Slyda

Grasshopper #3

The latest Grasshopper to roll off the production line late Thursday night and made it's racing debut last night. Sadly after only about 20 seconds into it's first warm-up run it got cleaned out by a big ole stadium truck and sustained some major damage. So now it's back on the bench for some repairs. The left side spotlight and pedestal mount was broken off flush with the body and the roll cage bar directly behind it is sheared right through and a few large scuff marks on the blue paint to touch up. I have glued everything up but it remains to be seen if it stays together or not as this is very similar damage to my original one and the spotlight just kept falling off every time I used it so I just left it off. Very frustrating when a lot of time, money, effort, heart & soul goes into building it, I guess sometimes stuff just happens but it's making me think really hard about taking the next one along because if that one gets damaged then I'm really going to be *******ed off as there will be no repairs to paint damage on that one!
To build this one was not part of my original plan but just sort of happened after cruising through the www.mciracing.ca web site and seeing a few things I liked, and an evil plan was hatched. An alternate colour Grasshopper sticker set was ordered along with the Valvoline & Pepsi sets which were both scaled down from 1:10th to 1:18th to ensure they would fit. The body was painted Tamiya gloss White (TS26) and the roll cage bars are painted in Humbrol Baltic Metallic Blue. A set of ball bearings was added along with the very nice polished 1pc alloy wheels and another set of Ansmann Racing oil shocks. Some parts were borrowed from the previous Hopper build as more cool shiny T4works parts are still on their way from rcMart.com. It should look even better once they are fitted.

DSCN5729.JPG

DSCN5732.JPG

• Like 2

Looks great! Sorry to hear about your track damage. The first scratch always hurts, but a "first hospital visit" really sucks.

2 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Looks great! Sorry to hear about your track damage. The first scratch always hurts, but a "first hospital visit" really sucks.

Yeah mate, that odd scrape or scuff is to be expected and I can handle that, but to get that kind of damage basically as soon as I hit the track is a bit harder to take. 

On 8/19/2018 at 10:10 AM, Yalson said:

Lovely looking Hopper. Sorry it got damaged.

It's all good mate. Yeah it's really frustrating but the only way to avoid any damage is to leave it on the shelf but that's not me, I like to use my cars.

It's what they are designed for. I wish I still had my GH1. Has yours got the Parma oil-filled front shocks on it? I had a set of those BITD but I could never make them work at all, so I went back to the stock front set-up, albeit with a couple of strategic tie-wraps to lower the front a fraction.

7 hours ago, Yalson said:

It's what they are designed for. I wish I still had my GH1. Has yours got the Parma oil-filled front shocks on it? I had a set of those BITD but I could never make them work at all, so I went back to the stock front set-up, albeit with a couple of strategic tie-wraps to lower the front a fraction.

Got them off eBay, apparently they are expensive. I find the fronts work fine but the rears are too stiff, not sure yet if it's the spring rates or oil that need changing. Maybe both.

DSCN5670.thumb.JPG.5cb54bf6669a6c8d87e797a8b2f7ee73 (1).JPG

Cool. I have been considering getting another one somewhere down the line. I never had a problem with the Hornet oil shocks on the rear, so that might be OK for me. The old Parma ones on the front were weird. They were rock solid, had tiny, weak springs, limited travel and were generally a mess. I ditched them after about three hours of tinkering and went back to the standard set-up, as they were obviously hopeless. These sound like a huge improvement, though.

To be honest the Hornet rears are probably better than these ones so one day I might try a mix of these fronts with the Hornet rears to see how it goes.