Boddney

Tamiya M-06 with US Style MR2 Mk1 Shell

32 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

2° toe in is Serial M06 ad very good for driving this beast. As you have 2 piece lower whishbones, you could compensate the wheelbase offset with 3 mm spacers. I´ve done it on an M03 in my showroom, ist the same principle.

This is a very good suggestion, thanks for posting it B)

Both of my M06 projects use the hop-up hinge pins, so unfortunately splitting the arms like that was not an option for me. I sort of wish Tamiya would just provide a way to adjust wheelbase that doesn't include re-engineering the entire design :unsure: but I suppose that would be antithetical to their legacy, lol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OCD said:

This is a very good suggestion, thanks for posting it B)

Both of my M06 projects use the hop-up hinge pins, so unfortunately splitting the arms like that was not an option for me. I sort of wish Tamiya would just provide a way to adjust wheelbase that doesn't include re-engineering the entire design :unsure: but I suppose that would be antithetical to their legacy, lol.

As the Toyota is a std. M06, I´d not flip the uprights, honestly. Unless it´s a shelfer. Friend of mine assembled them wrong by mistake, and on his first runs with M06 he was quite disappointed with the handling, until he found the failure.:unsure:

If you want to go the hinge pin way with my method, you probably have to assemple a longer hinge pin using a piston rod with a screwed on 3mm ball mount. So you could make your own option part.

But it´s a great build, didn´t know about the MR2 shell. Really cool oldschool alternative, as Tamiya is struggling to bring us new oldschool M-Chassis chells. Last fail for me was bringing the NSU TT back in Long Wheel base. looks like a stretch limousine…:wacko:

• Like 1

Right the paint is on and it unmasked.

Here ya go, pics as usual.

E38B8A03-978A-4401-95A6-12772C41DA36.jpeg

D258868B-32C4-4DEB-8BB4-927B97ADEFCE.jpeg

85C0FC94-1054-4B81-A917-B43E16E625EC.jpeg

9EF24AAB-598C-4D96-BCB6-AE02728DCB83.jpeg

E506F70F-37C6-47C2-931B-75E4A9C09E61.jpeg

AEB4C20A-E1B6-4437-8A39-3574DCC6EE20.jpeg

• Like 9

Looking pretty darn good at this point. Your color choice is spot-on B)

Any close-ups of the rear spoiler? I know you said you had some struggles with it... but it looks like it's upside-down in that last image?

I'm with you on how challenging the fiddly lexan bits can be to trim. I never have good luck with this task either :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, OCD said:

Any close-ups of the rear spoiler? I know you said you had some struggles with it... but it looks like it's upside-down in that last image?

I made a real mess of the spoiler. During the difficult cut out, the blade slipped and made a light score across the bottom section. I tried so hard to keep it safe whilst working with it but in the end it snapped across the score. I painted it in its pieces with a view to repairing it afterwards and that is the state it’s in now. It’s just sitting in place in the picture without it’s top on

• Sad 1

I’ve done my best with the spoiler using badge tape from real cars. Pretty good and I think only I will notice that it’s not quite right.

The first picture shows where the repair is and second is the finished article.

5D453EAE-5832-4AE2-A9DA-422A584EFBB3.jpeg

C75E6B99-59F1-48E8-BF68-63FA569182D9.jpeg

• Like 3

For a moment, I thought the first pic was the final result. :blink: Had to scroll back up and read. :lol:

The 2nd pic looks pretty good. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I kept thinking the back of the car looks odd and pretty sure it’s the window masking. I just couldn’t put my finger on it so had to pull up a picture of my car. Yes look at the difference.1D2CEE85-2DD2-4C7D-8497-88B404CD5D99.jpeg.cefa6de6a856ceec5304ec3189af10a2.jpeg

The window fills the whole apature, but on the shell——-

46C078F6-A7E4-4781-A302-1993C86705FB.thumb.jpeg.99475798c83a12f238d1b5c670dc60ab.jpeg

It’s a bit annoying especially as the decals are the same size. I’ll report back when it’s on.

• Sad 1

You’re right... and what’s with the rear lights too, they look off 

A shame about that rear window. A little wider and a little taller and it would be there. Do the decals for the rear lights include the vents too? The panel appears to go as far as the number plate lights.

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

You’re right... and what’s with the rear lights too, they look off 

US-spec shell with the small number plate maybe?

@Boddney your spoiler repair looks top class

8 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

US-spec shell with the small number plate maybe?

@Boddney your spoiler repair looks top class

You’re right @Kevin_Mc and thank you on the spoiler repair.

It has the US spec rear lights sadly @Badcrumble. You can cut out the whole rear panel and fit the European rear end that comes in the kit but I decided I’d rather have the US spec than joins and possibly I’ll fitting panels.

I masked off the bits that I may want to light up at a later date. It does look a little weird at the moment but it should be ok when the decals are on? Fingers crossed. Cheers guys for the input👍

She’s all done except I need to redo the shut lines as I made a bit of a mess of them. The rest of it looks pretty good .

Stealth mounts are a real pita int they? I never gave it a thought about how to attach them as I just thought they’d sit on cut down body posts. This would probably work on a higher shell like the Beetle but on the MR2, no chance. It took me ages to to work out the mounting position and loads of fettleing to get the ride height half decent but it’s about there I think.

17A02497-7C86-4800-8E41-9010DAA4896C.jpeg

34E7E202-EA75-48AB-95D7-0986F77C4544.jpeg

B728FB45-3D45-4E4C-94F3-A1554FABB23B.jpeg

CC79E096-75A9-449C-B8B5-E0EDBB7EF40B.jpeg

0B0D5883-C223-4379-8AD2-A61326E76E6B.jpeg

• Like 9

Really nice result, cool with the tinted rear roof wing. Even the smaller rear window doesn´t lokk strange anymore.:)

Shut lines can be redrawn, Always clean mine with Spiritus and draw again, because I also never get it done without failure in the first attempt...

• Thanks 1

I watched a prog about the MR2 and the rear engine bay was essentially a Toyota corolla subframe, chassis, box, engine and suspension were grafted onto the bodyshell of the mr2 all be it with the steering locked off. 

That rear visor/spoiler is beyond cool...oh man the eighties...

Any plans about the wheels?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, _oliK said:

That rear visor/spoiler is beyond cool...oh man the eighties...

I hadn’t noticed that on either the model or the 1:1. Really cool! 

On 11/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, _oliK said:

I was going to go for 8 spoke chrome polished but after receiving them in the post I thought they weren’t quite ‘busy’ enough.

E29C2B56-EAD4-48E5-AFF0-12207258B8D4.thumb.jpeg.d18b28880146ead2eff34cae649e133b.jpeg

Theses 11’s just look fuller if you see what I mean

49FD8A81-39CF-4543-9824-6FB65821680E.thumb.jpeg.875cb4be96c1f996c690d7aeea146433.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I’m really pleased with it and so looking forward to doing ‘The Picture’ with the real Roxie.

Bod

I agree, the 11's are fuller and very period, especially in white.

There's also ABC Hobby and Surging RC, they've got all kinds of SSRs and mesh wheels and such.

16 minutes ago, Kevin_Mc said:

@Boddney what wheels has the 1:1 Roxie got?

Roxie has standard wheels but polished with Toyota 141 silver/gold flip paint in the teardrops. She’s pretty much completely standard except for the shiny wheels, white side indicators and a little TOYOTA sticker where the striped sticker should be on the rear quarters. 

If any can find any standard 1/10 wheels I’d be greatful.👍🏼

5D02F46A-466A-4CF6-B20D-DA6E675396D5.jpeg

• Like 1