Sign in to follow this  
shenlonco

new hopper!

Am I the only one that;s not thrilled with this one?  It's just a Hopper with different decals.  MCI could make those for us for $20 :)

2 hours ago, racer1 said:

Am I the only one that;s not thrilled with this one?  It's just a Hopper with different decals.  MCI could make those for us for $20 :)

No, you're not the only one.

I'm very impressed with this new variation of the Grasshopper. This will surely be another lucrative collaboration will no doubt enrich the Tamiya brand. <_<

• Haha 2

With this being a popular Japanese music festival and Supreme being very popular in Japan, it's a safe bet that Tamiya is looking at the Japanese market. That's what Kumamon was about as well. Maybe these new colabs will sell like crazy there.

• Like 2

Neither this nor the Supreme Hornet are particularly imaginative in terms of mechanical spec, however I would look more favourably upon this Grasshopper because it is commemorating an event, rather than simply capitalising on an established brand.

This could be an interesting and amusing memento for somebody who attended Air Jam 2018, and may also be a gateway into the hobby for somebody who up until now had only a passing interest in RC cars and acquires this due to its connection with Air Jam.

The same can be said for the Supreme Hornet for that matter. If people have money to burn on fancy sneakers, there is no reason why they shouldn't be directed towards spending some of that money on RC cars instead! :)

Gee how creative Tamiya -good to see the latest from your trashy look line !

• Haha 2

Not so much a collaboration as a commemoration. Fine as far as it goes, I guess, but it's a bit naff.

1766741622_CommemorativeModelT.thumb.jpg.78fda748b76859a90416d6a7021e1e5d.jpg

It's the quiet months for RC at the moment july/August always have been so at least these are keep people talking until a wave of new models and all our dream re-re's will be announced😉!!!!

• Haha 1

I like them both And will get them . I do like the Gh with the Blue chassis and stickers . I saw this a few days ago on tamiyablog .

Now too get them to do something with the Boomerang , with a different colour chassis or parts with winger body & i will be a happy Tamiya man :D. .  Now that would be a WOOOOOHOOOOO moment ( well it would be for me ) :P .

• Like 1

yeah, tamiya and kfc get together for the 'winger' 😃 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hmm. I love the Grasshopper, and I do like me some Japanese rock music... nope, still not paying that much for a Grasshopper. 

• Haha 1

I'm just surprised they are using the Grasshopper/hornet for these. It seems like they are targeting a younger crowd and a DT-02/DT-03 would have been a better choice. They could pull in more kids to the fighter cup that way. I could be totally wrong about their target market though.

• Like 1

Given the prices they are asking for the models in question, I don't think that kids are the target market at all, unless they are ludicrously rich ones.

The Grasshopper and Hornet were iconic 80s RC vehicles, and are therefore likely to appeal more to the kids of yesterday who are now grown up and wealthy enough to afford fancy sneakers or attend expensive rock festivals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Given the prices they are asking for the models in question, I don't think that kids are the target market at all, unless they are ludicrously rich ones.

The Grasshopper and Hornet were iconic 80s RC vehicles, and are therefore likely to appeal more to the kids of yesterday who are now grown up and wealthy enough to afford fancy sneakers or attend expensive rock festivals.

I didn't look into the rock festival to see what it's about, but as you can see here, not many guys in their 40's even know what Supreme is. Somehow people keep talking about shoes. They have done some colabs with shoe companies, but don't make shoes. My point is that the people into Supreme will be too young to remember the Hornet for the most part. It may be a totally different story in Japan. In the end, I don't work at Tamiya so I don't know what their plan is. It's interesting to speculate on it though :D

• Like 1

Apart from the loud paint job, which makes this hopper look like those toy GH clones the guy from Ampro seems to love, the only thing that caught my eye was the mention of a "clear polycarbonate body".  The pictures give nothing away though.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to screw a lexan body to the chassis and have it remain there during use.  From experience, we all know that bolting things to polycarbonate rarely works for very long - daylighters, rear wing (Falcon, Hornet, etc) front body guards and roll bars (Bush Devil).

But saying that, didn't companies like Parma make body sets for the GH chassis?  Were they screwed down or held in place with posts and pins?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

Apart from the loud paint job, which makes this hopper look like those toy GH clones the guy from Ampro seems to love, the only thing that caught my eye was the mention of a "clear polycarbonate body".  The pictures give nothing away though.  

lol, AMpro does like clones... (he says so himself too)

I followed the link to the Japanese site, and Google translation didn't say anything about polycarbonate body.  So, yeah, maybe they cut & pasted a wrong description?  

P.S. Whatever Supreme is, putting an image of flame    is    so... unimpressive...   Any 12 year old could slap on a flame sticker.  "collabs known to be incredibly pricey?"    Well, below sticker says $5...

vx7eGEb.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-6-50-Lethal-Threat-Flaming-Skull-Body-Decal-Emblem-Logo-Sticker/172680604626?epid=1073193833&amp;amp;hash=item283490ebd2