Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

Having been confirmed by Tony's Tamiya Parts, Mokei Kagaku, and of course Tamiya itself, I wonder what the re-release of the Super Astute will bring - whether most will end up in the collections of racers who used to compete with the original, or if they will mostly be used to keep racing rigs running, and/or if they will continue to bring interest in re-release racing as their own kits built up.

In the face of Fibre-Lyte and other companies building (arguably) better parts for the Astute series, what will become of this re-release? The future could be quite interesting for the examples that make it into TC members' hands...

My own experience with anything remotely-Super Astute related was a hybrid Astute built up with a number of Super Astute pieces, most notably the TTC geartrain that I added later. I remember it being one fantastic car with a low-turn brushed motor, but I ended up selling it as I had no real place or occasion to run such a race-oriented platform. I would hope that a good number of them get to hit the dirt/astroturf/gravel/clay/etc..

Though it will be a little while away, I also look forward to seeing what TamiyaClub can come up with for the new-old racer :)

You beat me to it. :lol:  As i have just seen it on tamiyablog and the Avante black is coming back . 

Woohoo , looks like a great year for rc . 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, matman said:

As i have just seen it on tamiyablog and the Avante black is coming back . 

No! Well, "yes" in all other respects, but I have to wonder if I will resist the siren call of the Avante Black Special, having failed once before :P

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting too see what the pricing will be on both ?.

I am definitely interested in the super astute since i had an astute as a kid. My question is besides the refined gearbox in the the super astute does the super astute have a weakness in the bulkhead ? My astute broke numerous times. Do you have all the bushings in the suspension like the astute also? I never had an issue with the gearbox in mine and even ran a twister hurricane from the start. 

SHUT UP!!!!!!! The Avante Black is awesome. Having had one and now owning an Egress an Avante 2011 is in my future, but the Super Astute I'll need ASAP, I'll purchase MCI decals of the Astute as I like the red better. Hopefully Tamiya will make the chassis Graphite like they did with the Avante .

Wish list time. Let's get an original based gear box that we can swap parts into out runner King Cabs and Astures featuring a trf201 based ball differential and slipper clutch. Graphite chassis!!!

I’m interested in ttc gearbox for kingcab/monster racer that I haven’t built yet! Wonder if they’ll be rere’d soon, now that would be an awesome announcement!

How much would you expect the Super Astute rere to cost? Would it be similar to the Top Force or is it more likely to be in the Egress/Avante range?

8 hours ago, Grastens said:

No! Well, "yes" in all other respects, but I have to wonder if I will resist the siren call of the Avante Black Special, having failed once before :P

Well I'm up for one😀 but it won't be cheap so it's bread and water for me and I'll have to dig out the candles for lighting around the house!, and what about those people who have been trying to sell the original black special for ridiculous prices🤔........i think I can get over that😂

• Haha 1

Haven't posted in a while but the news of a re-re black avante and the astute has  got me excited for this hobby again. Now just need to find a way to pay for them.

chris

• Like 2

Seems like a strange choice for a re-re ?

Most of the parts in the original version were unique to the S/A.

Does the mean the Astute will get re-re'd ? Or did I miss that one...

9 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Seems like a strange choice for a re-re ?

Most of the parts in the original version were unique to the S/A.

Does the mean the Astute will get re-re'd ? Or did I miss that one...

No the Astute hasn't been rere, but I think this is a wise choice. The Super Astute was/is a better runner. I'm going to buy this and some Astute decals as I like the original look better 

• Like 2

There is something about the white colour and bright decals of the Super Astute that I've always absolutely adored. It screams 90's :D

I'm betting between Monster Beetle and Top Force prices. 

Oh man, this opens the door for a HUGE family of cars. Come on Monster Racer/King Cab!

I would guess a bit less than Top Force? It looks like a similar kit, ie pretty competitive in its day, but 2wd are always cheaper. Modern 2wd race kits are about 3/4 of the price of their 4wd counterparts, I doubt it would be that much cheaper but should be a bit?

Although cost of manufacturing and logic probably doesn't come into it when you've got cashed up 80s/90s kids wanting to relive their youth

Wonder if Hi-Caps will be released again for it (like the TF ones last year).

Was the TTC standard on the Super Astute, or an extra?

It'll probably cost more than a top force. It won't have any modifications done to remedy known weak parts. I'll still happily buy a couple.