Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

1 hour ago, steve r said:

Does anyone have a PDF/Scan copy of the Super Astute or TTC manual?

Yes. Drop me a pm with your mail address and I'll send it. It's too large (10MB) for the 1MB limit of TC message.

The Ttc has been redesigned for this astute. It’s much easier to adjust. They have also tweaked the battery bay to work With larger modern nimhs (its longer) it still Will not take square lipos (although shorties might work). It also needs a low profile steering servo because of the battery bay tweak.

edit- just noticed it’s already been posted. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 7:58 AM, qatmix said:

The Ttc has been redesigned for this astute. It’s much easier to adjust. They have also tweaked the battery bay to work With larger modern nimhs (its longer) it still Will not take square lipos (although shorties might work). It also needs a low profile steering servo because of the battery bay tweak.

edit- just noticed it’s already been posted. 

That redesigned battery tray will be interesting.  They were a problem on the original and I've broken both the front and the rear one.  The rear one in particular would break at the base at the lower chassis mount point.  

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

That redesigned battery tray will be interesting.  They were a problem on the original and I've broken both the front and the rear one.  The rear one in particular would break at the base at the lower chassis mount point.  

Was that due to the flex of the chassis? I'm going to order a Fibrelyte graphite version.

30 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Ann3x has battery holders on his Shapeways store which fit Lipos.

Thanks! Mine fit square batteries as well as curved btw.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 6:12 PM, GTodd said:

Was that due to the flex of the chassis? I'm going to order a Fibrelyte graphite version.

Yes and also due to sweet jumps !

The Fibrelyte chassis is one serious Hop Up...... 

I just realised that I can now restore my original runners into shelfers and chuck all of my Hop Ups and printed parts into a new balls out runner !   Joy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

Yes and also due to sweet jumps !

The Fibrelyte chassis is one serious Hop Up...... 

I just realised that I can now restore my original runners into shelfers and chuck all of my Hop Ups and printed parts into a new balls out runner !   Joy

EXACTLY what I am doing!!

I guess that we will have to wait until the All Japan Model & Hobby Show at the end of this month. (28th until 30th of September). I assume that most of the new items will be showing there for the first time to public.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, taffer said:

maybe it will be at Nuremberg next year??? 

It's (Super Astute) supposed to be released mid December, so hopefully not!

• Like 1

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I was being lazy and meant Super Astute and Black Avante.

33 minutes ago, nellyle said:

It's (Super Astute) supposed to be released mid December, so hopefully not!

It's happened that a release has been announced and (even shown sometimes) before Christmas and not been revealed/released until Feb following year........Tamiya have been quite slow getting new models out to the UK for quite a few years :-( 

3 hours ago, taffer said:

It's happened that a release has been announced and (even shown sometimes) before Christmas and not been revealed/released until Feb following year........Tamiya have been quite slow getting new models out to the UK for quite a few years :-( 

R/C in general seems to be in a slump right now, slow downs on releases are to be expected. One of the Kyosho threads I follow had suggested another re-release announcement at the end of this year. Well, its almost October and nothing yet. I look at Traxxas removing Lipo batteries, and in some cases brushless systems to reduce the cost of some of their more popular kits. At least Tamiya made their next re-release announcement official, just going to take a bit more time to get it in out hands.

• Like 1

I wish they'd make the xmaxx as a kit so it's be more affordable. 1000 us for a toy is INSANE!

15 minutes ago, Hobbimaster said:

R/C in general seems to be in a slump right now, slow downs on releases are to be expected. One of the Kyosho threads I follow had suggested another re-release announcement at the end of this year. Well, its almost October and nothing yet. I look at Traxxas removing Lipo batteries, and in some cases brushless systems to reduce the cost of some of their more popular kits. At least Tamiya made their next re-release announcement official, just going to take a bit more time to get it in out hands.

4 hours ago, GTodd said:

I wish they'd make the xmaxx as a kit so it's be more affordable. 1000 us for a toy is INSANE!

Yes it is, but that toy will do everything and then some. I have a Green Xmaxx and absolutely love it! Its the kind of R/C that if I had to sell off my entire collection, and only have model, the Xmaxx would be the one I'd keep. Do not get me wrong I love my re-releases, and a good 4wd buggy such as an Egress, or a Blackfoot is extremely pleasing to run. But there's just something about seeing a 20lb truck tearing up chunks of grass, and leaving 6" ruts behind as it moves out, that makes me feel like a youth again. All that aside, no plans to sell off my lovely Tamiya collection.

1 hour ago, Hobbimaster said:

Yes it is, but that toy will do everything and then some. I have a Green Xmaxx and absolutely love it! Its the kind of R/C that if I had to sell off my entire collection, and only have model, the Xmaxx would be the one I'd keep. Do not get me wrong I love my re-releases, and a good 4wd buggy such as an Egress, or a Blackfoot is extremely pleasing to run. But there's just something about seeing a 20lb truck tearing up chunks of grass, and leaving 6" ruts behind as it moves out, that makes me feel like a youth again. All that aside, no plans to sell off my lovely Tamiya collection.

Why did you have to make it sound that good!!!! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, GTodd said:

Why did you have to make it sound that good!!!! 

So sorry! If your wondering how tough a Xmaxx really is, like bashing videos, and total destruction videos, look for a channel called Kevin Talbot on YouTube. Anyway, off topic for the Super Astute.

Well I'm prepping for my build. I just ordered a fibrelyte chassis, MCI Astute decals, and a low profile high torque servo. I always thought the original Astute's paint scheme was more attractive , I'll be building this one as a homagae to it. I'm probably going to dye the wheels black as well. Although I do have a set of Astute wheels to mount. I just don't know what front tires to utilize 

6 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Well I'm prepping for my build. I just ordered a fibrelyte chassis, MCI Astute decals, and a low profile high torque servo. I always thought the original Astute's paint scheme was more attractive , I'll be building this one as a homagae to it. I'm probably going to dye the wheels black as well. Although I do have a set of Astute wheels to mount. I just don't know what front tires to utilize 

Are the astute wheels 2"? Schumacher have rereleased the 2" rib spike.