Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Are the astute wheels 2"? Schumacher have rereleased the 2" rib spike. 

I believe so. For the longest time I thought they were 1.9 but I saw some one referet the Egress wheels as 2.0.

@GTodd The rears are definitely 2" if they are egress wheels. Would make sense the fronts are 2" as well. I have some egress wheels (4wd) and they are 2" for sure. If the Super Astute wheels are that weird Tamiya "not quite 2.2" size then gluing 2.2 tyres to them will work. 

I think I'll just go with the Shumacher rib spine on my original wheels. The rib spike actually works really well in everything but hard packed clay.

57 minutes ago, GTodd said:

I think I'll just go with the Shumacher rib spine on my original wheels. The rib spike actually works really well in everything but hard packed clay.

It's it's anything like as good as the 2" mini spike rears it will be great. I haven't had need of them yet as I have the slightly odd Grasshopper 2 Super G wheels which are 2" rear and 2.1" front. Been running 2.2" tyres on the front of those.

Hope Tamiya uses better plastic (or even fiber-reinforced ones) for the sprues in the re-re, as the plastics on the original car was rather brittle imo. 

Wish they will release the hi-caps for the car as well, just like Top Force re-re from last year.

15 hours ago, Garyrc01 said:

Hope Tamiya uses better plastic (or even fiber-reinforced ones) for the sprues in the re-re, as the plastics on the original car was rather brittle imo. 

Wish they will release the hi-caps for the car as well, just like Top Force re-re from last year.

I am confident they will. The Avante and Egress parts are all fiber-reinforced, i was very impressed in the quality of the plastics when I was assembling my BS Avante and Egress.

I cannot wait to have a semi bulletproof brushless Super Astute, 

I drive my originals but not the way I would really like to

• Like 3

......ok what's going on with the Super Astute Tamiya??? This release is going to be almost as big as the Avante and Bruiser. Can we get an update?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

......ok what's going on with the Super Astute Tamiya??? This release is going to be almost as big as the Avante and Bruiser. Can we get an update? 

Tamico have listed it for pre-order.  Price is 260 and release date given is 11/12/2018.

There's also a page for it on the Tamiya USA website.  For some reason their enlarged photos are all awkwardly cropped though.

8MglZu6.jpg

• Like 1

I know it's a desireable car but €260 seems pricey enough for a 2wd??   It would be nice to know if the €260 includes the brushless motor?   if so then maybe it's a more attractive deal.

50 minutes ago, Quandry said:

I know it's a desireable car but €260 seems pricey enough for a 2wd??   It would be nice to know if the €260 includes the brushless motor?   if so then maybe it's a more attractive deal.

No they don't otherwise it would have had decent damper and tires.

TamiyaUSA:

Requires: 2-Channel Radio, low profile servo, motor, ESC (electronic speed control) 7.2volt battery pack & charger, and Tamiya PS paint. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, GTodd said:

This release is going to be almost as big as the Avante and Bruiser.

2865 combined forum posts for those two compared to 135 for this forthcoming release suggests otherwise. This will be a fairly popular re-release but nowhere near the biggest when the dust has settled and we can make some comparisons.

• Like 3

$320 US and memories of my childhood of tons of e clips and bushings everywhere for the suspension means im passing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

$320 US and memories of my childhood of tons of e clips and bushings everywhere for the suspension means im passing. 

My plan is to wait for a second hand one. Someone will undoubtedly buy one, build it, run it once, than decide it wasn't what they remembered from years ago.

• Like 1

Won't get one, with two vintage NIBs sitting and quite a lot of spares to build at least one or two more cars I just can't see the point. Might stock up on spares if they become available separately.

When I bought my top force last year I had no idea it was a remake of a kit from 1991 and released only 3 months after the super astute. So how did the 1991 top force and super astute stack up driving wise? Is it safe to say it’s equal to a top force and the avante and egress are more advanced?

Pre-ordered mine on RCTeam France. Will nbe my 2018 X-mas present.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

When I bought my top force last year I had no idea it was a remake of a kit from 1991 and released only 3 months after the super astute. So how did the 1991 top force and super astute stack up driving wise? Is it safe to say it’s equal to a top force and the avante and egress are more advanced?

Cannot really compare 2WD and 4WD.:huh: But as the Topforce is the successor of the avante platform, it´s a better performer. But Super Astute is a really cool rerelease, never thought that they´d do this. My best friend still has his somewhere in storage. We had an epic fight one day, where he drove circles around me in my Vanquish with the new slipper clutch. We had bad tires, tarmac was wet. I was drifting in every corner. He just loosened the clutch slightly, and drove  easily under the bad conditions. Never will forget that little duell. I think, he is tempted to order the rerelease, as he is back in RC since 4 years for fun. For sure I will get soon the sentence: "Do you remember, as we…" :P

• Like 2

According to the original manual, the Super Astute used a 20T 0.5mod pinion on the motor, part #3515019.  The manual also shows 18T through 23T pinions as options, but no real part numbers.   Robinson Racing makes 0.5mod pinions, but they are for a 2mm shaft.

What/where do we get spare pinions that fit on a 1/8" motor shaft?

Hey Champ, take a look at this for a few tips.  Post thread I discovered that a 23t Super Stock motor is about the lowest rpm motor that works in the Super Astute.  Anyone thinking of putting a Sports Tuned or GT Tuned motor in.....forget it !

I'm expecting that Tamiya will re-release the 20t - 21t 05 mod pinions just for this release too......hopefully !

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 2:38 PM, mastino said:

Pre-ordered mine on RCTeam France. Will be my 2018 X-mas present.

Just see the New Item Release list for December 2018...   It would become a gift for Valentine's Day :unsure::(

I am really looking forward to this release, but it seems that only a handful of us are, it feels pretty underwhelming at the moment, I hope things pick up.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, mastino said:

Just see the New Item Release list for December 2018...   It would become a gift for Valentine's Day :unsure::(

Nope - Super Astute will be here early december ( was on October release list ) . The monthly release list has nothing to do with availability of an item, it's only an announcement of new items.;)

1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

I am really looking forward to this release, but it seems that only a handful of us are, it feels pretty underwhelming at the moment, I hope things pick up.

Meh, more for us. The Astute family is as important as the Avante family. It showed that Tamiya had the desire to make a fun to build competitive car. I can't wait!

• Like 1