Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

5 hours ago, moffman said:

Them hi-cap shocks just make any car they are attached to look so good! Lovely car bud👍

Thanks buddy. Took it out for a spin on a 2s 100c yesterday, was doing a small video but can't upload it sadly, went really well on an 11t Super Modified.

Lee

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ralphee said:

Thanks buddy. Took it out for a spin on a 2s 100c yesterday, was doing a small video but can't upload it sadly, went really well on an 11t Super Modified.

Lee

Many years ago I had the 11t super modified in a blackfoot extreme with a normal 4500nimh and it was a rocket! so with 2s lipo in a buggy must be blast (literally)

I now finished mine with PS-57 Pearl White and PS-31 Smoke (for the undertray and the gear cover). I am currently thinking of swapping the shocks for the DF-03 Hop-Ups out of aluminium. I have them on my DF-03MS. The motor installed is my 25 year old Kyosho Mega 12x2.

IMG_20190105_112008_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190105_111422_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190105_112054_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190105_112146_HDR.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SteppenwolfAUT said:

I now finished mine with PS-57 Pearl White and PS-31 Smoke (for the undertray and the gear cover). I am currently thinking of swapping the shocks for the DF-03 Hop-Ups out of aluminium. I have them on my DF-03MS. The motor installed is my 25 year old Kyosho Mega 12x2.

IMG_20190105_112008_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190105_111422_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190105_112054_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190105_112146_HDR.jpg

Holy toe out

• Haha 1

The kit build has insane toe out, a ridiculous amount. I'm at 0 now and it seems a little better, Im using Hi-caps as a temp fix till i get a Dyna tower and some Aeration units, I've messed around a little but it sure needs more front droop as is. Ive a few bits i want to add to mine, TI turnbuckles being one of them, the kit steering links seem made of cheese.

What are folks experiences with the alloy Pargu parts? Do they stand up well? Did manage to pick up a couple of D sprues in the meantime just in case.

Lee

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Many years ago I had the 11t super modified in a blackfoot extreme with a normal 4500nimh and it was a rocket! so with 2s lipo in a buggy must be blast (literally)

Oh it was fun, and lively, not over the top though, just nice to drive and push on it some. Was just an asphalt run, can't wait to get to some nice grass and try it out again.

Lee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

There seems to be a lot of folks adding tall front shock towers and longer shocks. Are the standard "mini" front shocks too short and detrimental to performance? I've always associated the short shocks as part of the Madcap/Astute/SA "look" and the long ones as Dynastorm.

They just don't allow any droop as such, even shimmed they have preload....they look great, and surpass the kit dampers by far, but the tower is far too short for them.

• Like 1

Where do you get the Dynastorm towers? What other shock options would be good without a hicap budget?  TRF big bores perhaps?

11 hours ago, RCvet said:

Where do you get the Dynastorm towers? What other shock options would be good without a hicap budget?  TRF big bores perhaps?

A few posts ago, I asked about DF-03 dampers #53926 since those are the direct hop-up shocks mentioned in the Tamiya SA manual. I'm assuming with the DF-03 dampers, and perhaps aeration dampers #54028 are a direct drop in without changing the front tower. I have a set of #53926 on the way, and will post the results as soon as I get them on.

• Like 1

Strange: Super Astute spares come with BOTH mounting posts for the MSC resistor. 

Is that a current parts sprue or a new old stock from the 90's?

Weird. It's funny as, when building my car, I found myself hunting in all bags for the "broken" piece lol, but it's been machined off for some insane reason.

Lee

39 minutes ago, S-PCS said:

It's #9005354, brand new, just ordered this last week. 

Hi, where can spare parts be ordered from? 

I bought a few D sprues just before Christmas on eBay. Were cheap too. May be some still listed, not sure.

Lee

Maybe the part was shaved off in the kit to save some weight, :lol:. The kit supplied ones will be the special lightweight variants and will command a high premium on Ebay in the years to come. Of course, unscrupulous sellers will shave the piece off one of the spares (carefully mimicking the tool marks Tamiya left on the originals) defrauding buyers.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Maybe the part was shaved off in the kit to save some weight, :lol:. The kit supplied ones will be the special lightweight variants and will command a high premium on Ebay in the years to come. Of course, unscrupulous sellers will shave the piece off one of the spares (carefully mimicking the tool marks Tamiya left on the originals) defrauding buyers.

Seriously, it did involuntarily cross my mind... "Should have kept this kit NIB, one day they'll be super collectible, very early production run type of stuff". 

It's a good thing I realized that only after building it. Whew, narrowly escaped becoming a serious NIB collector once more! 

19 hours ago, ralphee said:

Weird. It's funny as, when building my car, I found myself hunting in all bags for the "broken" piece lol, but it's been machined off for some insane reason.

Lee

There's a theory... The upcoming-King Cab-rerelease-conspiracy theory. 

• Like 1

Just got my 1st one, I can't bring myself to cut the plastic open until my 2nd one arrives B)

• Like 1

Mine just arrived from Stella, (Thanks again @Snappy1)   I'm so excited that I think a little bit of wee just came out !  My plans to be revealed when I calm down enough to type properly.:wub:

• Like 3

Since I have not opened mine yet, is the lower chassis deck the same as an Astute, I have an original Astute one I'd like to replace. 

As far as I know it's a thicker FRP. Anybody have any feedback on the ORB racing front bulkhead. Would like to try one.  The kit one...wow....It's feeble.

34 minutes ago, ralphee said:

As far as I know it's a thicker FRP. Anybody have any feedback on the ORB racing front bulkhead. Would like to try one.  The kit one...wow....It's feeble.

If I were you I'd utilize the metal versions for the front bulkhead and rear suspension arm mounts. It'll bullet proof the car, end flex, and make the handling ALOT more precise. Well, if you can drive! Hahaha, that metal bulkhead will transmit ALL the energy to the chassis and probably snap it if you hit something head on.