Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

I've seen the Pargu front unit but it's still got that weird slot in the tower mount area, the ORB seems to allow a much more flush fit and equal pressure for the fasteners. I'd only want the Pargu for additional weight in the front, which the car does need, as it has massive push. Not awful to drive, but I've been driving the likes of YZ2's and RZ6's so it's annoying lol.

May try the ORB unit as I see them used a lot, and maybe some rear Pargu hangers.

Lee

.....I forgot to add, yes the added weight will help the push issue, imently!!!!  With modern brushless and lipos weight isnt a huge concern anymore.

16 minutes ago, GTodd said:

.....I forgot to add, yes the added weight will help the push issue, imently!!!!  With modern brushless and lipos weight isnt a huge concern anymore.

Running 17.5T class here people are still obsessed with weight but I see what you are saying. Funny when we look back drilling holes in things and the crazy weight saving ideas and now to think we add weights.  

It's more about balance now though, not just making the car heavier, I've lost count the hours spent racing a moving weights around lol.

Hi Gent's

11 hours ago, RCvet said:

Since I have not opened mine yet, is the lower chassis deck the same as an Astute, I have an original Astute one I'd like to replace. 

From the pics in this thread, it appears that the holes are drilled for the Astute battery holder so Yeah..... the lower chassis plate should be spot on for an Astute.  The Super Astute chassis plate will just have two extra holes for the front battery tray.  I'm guessing also that these two holes are slightly more to the front than an OG Super Astute for modern batteries and hence the need for a low profile servo.  

7 hours ago, ralphee said:

As far as I know it's a thicker FRP. Anybody have any feedback on the ORB racing front bulkhead. Would like to try one.  The kit one...wow....It's feeble.

I'm a strong advocate for the ORB parts but make sure that you get both the front bulkhead and the front tower brace from ORB as they are a matching pair.  This is due to ORB incorporating hex shaped recesses however the ORB bulkhead can be modified to allow for the Tamiya tower brace with some careful drilling if you need to.  I'll be transferring all of my ORB parts over to this build when I get to it and all of the ORB parts are an improved design over the original.... not just printed copies.

FYI - I've broken both of the battery trays, front and rear running my OG Super Astute.  Now you can put this down to the age of the plastic if you like but I would also encourage using 3D printed battery trays, specially if you're into doing sweet jumps.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks Thommo, I'll order the both.  I wanted to try the Dyna front tower I have here but don't fancy mounting it to the kit pivot block. Then again, I May just try keep her as std trim as I can just adding parts that are more durable.

Lee

• Like 1

I’ve just bought a SA for the TTC gearbox so I have the rest for sale. I’m selling parts as the Tamiya sell them (as a complete spru or bag). I’ll be selling the box, everything, please see links to instruction manual parts pages:

https://ibb.co/mTqfQjP
https://ibb.co/g4CcgWq
https://ibb.co/zP8TG37

Email me at mkingston1981@gmail.com including your address so I can send you a price including P&P.

Matt

I just had the pleasure of un-boxing mine.  Needless to say that I'm very pleased :D this emoji is actually how I look right now and for at least the next two weeks.  So here is a couple of points in comparison to the 58097 Super Astute.

As @Saito2 pointed out, the FRP chassis and damper towers are an improved FRP.  The two holes for the front battery tray also appear to be in the same position as the 58097 chassis.  Needs direct comparison, plate on plate to confirm.  

TTC conspiracy theory is debunked... my A4 TTC housing is still on the parts tree and it still has both of the upright posts for the Astute MSC resistor or King Cab / Monster Racer upper mount.  @RCvet  affirmative...the TTC will go straight into the King Cab.  Ideally get one with both upright posts on top !

The new milled motor plate seems to be to accommodate what appears to be a change to the DF03 spur gear and clutch pack.  I don't have a DF03 to directly compare so I'm interested to know if anyone can confirm that the improved TTC quite simply incorporates just that....the DF03 spur gear and clutch pack ?  That would be very typically Tamiya now wouldn't it !  What I do know is the new spur gear is considerably smaller with a lower tooth count than the OG Super Astute, hence the 25t pinion and new motor plate.  This completely changes gear ratios of course so everything I've learned about gearing my runner just went straight out the window which is all good until it's not.  DF03 pinion options will be the answer going forward I guess.    

Damper springs are improved quality and this could simply just be the age of the OG springs compared to the quality of the new springs.  The kit springs should work well enough, specially when using lighter Li-Po batteries too I imagine.  

6mm adjusters in black instead of blue, :( and all steel hardware is black. 

On a personal note, here is my plan of attack:

* I'll fully strip down my OG Super Astute runner and remove all of the Hop-Ups, after market (ORB) parts, titanium hardware etc.

* From the 47381 kit, I'll set aside the wheels, tyres, body set, front bumper, rear guard and the unused OG spur gear which is included with the H parts...brilliant !

* Build the 47381 kit as my new runner with all of the Hop-Ups and power system taken from the OG.  I already have a TBG / MCI runner body ready to go.

* Fully restore the 58097 Super Astute as a pure box art shelfer.  :wub:

Happy happy days :D

• Like 5

I just opened mine as well finally.  Well my second one which arrived from Japan with no shrink wrap.  That said, my gearbox has one of the resistor posts cut off and was off the tree but sealed in the A parts bag.  The mystery continues.  

My other kit is shrink wrapped and not opening.

I hope Tamiya makes parts readily available and for a long time, I intend to race this puppy.  

As to pinions, need to order 27, 29 and 32T available for DF-03.  I suspect for 17.5T brushless or hot brushed motor the 32T is the answer.  At least that's where I am running on my modern racers give or take.

What is the gear ratio on the Super Astute transmission?  

• Like 1

Anyone know if parts will be available for this one? I was hoping it would be the same as the recent big releases where parts would be initially abundant on eBay for example, nothing much showing.

Hope it's not a quick poof, and it's the end of the run and no parts.

Lee

Was wondering same thing as I really want to run this one on the track but if no parts I may have to think twice, but probably not. 

On 6 January 2019 at 4:04 PM, moffman said:
8 minutes ago, RCvet said:

Was wondering same thing as I really want to run this one on the track but if no parts I may have to think twice, but probably not. 

Yeah im not so sure right now. Will add the ORB front end, but on the transmission and arms id like to have a back up purely to race it, not wanting to throw too much at it yet till i know i can obtain a little parts package for the foreseeable future.

Lee

On 1/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, Baja1000 said:

I’ve just bought a SA for the TTC gearbox so I have the rest for sale. I’m selling parts as the Tamiya sell them (as a complete spru or bag). I’ll be selling the box, everything, please see links to instruction manual parts pages:

https://ibb.co/mTqfQjP
https://ibb.co/g4CcgWq
https://ibb.co/zP8TG37

Email me at mkingston1981@gmail.com including your address so I can send you a price including P&P.

Matt

Email me with the part numbers  you need and your address and I’ll send you a quote.

Matt

4 hours ago, Baja1000 said:

Email me with the part numbers  you need and your address and I’ll send you a quote.

Matt

Emailed.....

On 1/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, ralphee said:

Weird. It's funny as, when building my car, I found myself hunting in all bags for the "broken" piece lol, but it's been machined off for some insane reason.

Lee

Mine had the mount machined off too. I contacted Modelsport who I bought it from and they’re sending me another gearbox casing under warranty👌.

Matt

Someday we will have the answer as to why some are cut off and they will be priceless :D

• Like 1

I'm sure they're actually special edition lightweight modified Super Super Astutesaccidentally shipped out before the official release date by an unsuspecting Tamiya employee who wasn't wearing his glasses that day, most likely causing Tamiya to cancel the SSA completely, out of embarrassment. 

That, or something entirely different and most likely far less exciting. 

I've decided to keep the machined part on mine, just in case. 

• Haha 1

Here is a reminder, Loctite those rear arm carrier bolts lol, my newly run car is in peices

Ok, a bunch of you have these built now. How don't hey drive? How's the new slipper? How'd it handle with the new thicker chassis?

The new slipper seems great, it drives like my Dyna Storm

Hi, 

I’ve managed to overheat my original TTC slipper and melt item H4. It’s shown as unused in the re-re so I was hoping someone might be able help me out and send me their leftover part if possible? ( I’m Olobviously happy to transfer some money).

Please message me if you can help. 

Thanks

steve 

950DE8DF-AE49-4F2E-8653-69EC9E1E4768.png