Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

I love that track. Its actual dirt. There's no stupid jumps sending that SA into orbit. No climbing up walls. Its just a cool dirt track. Thanks for posting that SA in action.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I love that track. Its actual dirt. There's no stupid jumps sending that SA into orbit. No climbing up walls. Its just a cool dirt track. Thanks for posting that SA in action.

Proper off road dirt track.  I don't like all this astro turf and carpet, etc. People always used to complain about racing on grass or dirt because the track would change through the day and the cars would require constant tweaking to keep up.  To me, that is part of off road racing, with the skill being in setting up a car properly and driving it to the best of your ability on a track that poses a challenge.  Now off road has become more like Formula 1.  Practice, tweak, set, forget, then just drive.  At least that's what it seems like.  just seems watered down.

• Like 4

Best RC video ever!  So as not to turn the Super Astute thread into an old guy rant about proper offroad racing, I'll just say I agree with the others.  TIred of mega jumps, traction rolling on overly sticky, well I failed not ranting :D:D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fruitfly01 said:

To me, that is part of off road racing, with the skill being in setting up a car properly and driving it to the best of your ability on a track that poses a challenge

Exactly. Agree 100%. The other benefit of real off road tracks like that is (weaving the SA somewhat back into the topic ;)) is non-reinforced ABS plastic cars like the Super Astute or even a Fox aren't shattered to pieces by being overstressed by crazy high-jump antics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Looks hooked up, and no understeer!

Yeah.... no understeer with that silver can in the back :lol:

Seriously though.... Great vid and the new (2018) Super Astute has taller gearing with it's DF03 spur gear so it looks like it can function with a less powerful motor.  The (2018) SA should actually be able to run in vintage / silver can.  That's great to see because the OG Super Astute was an absolute no go (too slow) for any vintage running with a silver can because of it's super low gearing, (it needed a really hot motor). 

Also the Super Astute pushes (understeers) a whole lot less with lighter modern Li-Po batteries.  The suspension and springs are a lot happier with the reduced weight too so the (2018) SA is going to be a better and more user friendly buggy than the original. 

Also if you pause right at the start of the vid you will notice that the front toe is neutral so 0 degrees - front wheels pointing straight ahead.  This is the best start point for set up.      

• Like 5

Just got my SA. Can I put in a 13T brushed motor? Would it kill my gears? What’s a suitable brushed motor for it?

I am running a 11 T double in mine, I run a 12 T double in my vintage SA, no problem at all, 

It's harder to find a brushed ESC to run those motors on a lipo with the extended runtimes  than the gear wear caused, brushless motors torque levels are sky high compared to a brushed setup

17 minutes ago, FCUL78 said:

Just got my SA. Can I put in a 13T brushed motor? Would it kill my gears? What’s a suitable brushed motor for it?

Sure. I did a good shakedown run with mine on an 11t and all went great. It was quick but not insane, so a 13t would push it along very well IMO.

Lee

1 minute ago, Snappy1 said:

I am running a 13 T double in mine, I run a 12 T double in my vintage SA, no problem at all, 

It's harder to find a brushed ESC to run those motors on a lipo with the extended runtimes  than the gear wear caused, brushless motors torque levels are sky high compared to a brushed setup

Indeed. High quality race spec brushed esc units are not an easy find. I found a NIP Futaba MC850 for a silly price so thought I'd try it, seems a nice little esc TBH.

Lee

13 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

I am running a 11 T double in mine, I run a 12 T double in my vintage SA, no problem at all, 

Thanks. Good to know. 

13 hours ago, ralphee said:

Sure. I did a good shakedown run with mine on an 11t and all went great. It was quick but not insane, so a 13t would push it along very well IMO.

Lee

Thanks! Look forward to building my kit

Now I've completely stripped my 58097 Super Astute and directly compared the chassis plates.  The holes for the front battery tray on the (2018) chassis are 2mm forward as suspected.  The chassis plates are the same width, 2.5mm but the (2018) chassis does feel like it twists less.

I've decided to rebuild my OG Super Astute first as it will be a quicker build and because I need to have a Super Astute back on my shelf to look upon it's beauty !

It actually felt wrong stripping such a good looking car but I had to get all the Hop-Ups and hardware out of it for the (2018) runner.

• Like 1

Just finished building my SA. Still waiting for the electronics. 

Kinda disappointed with it. The dampers are rubbish. LiPo can’t fit, NiMh is a tight fit. 

The other buggy I own is the Top Force and it’s way better although LiPo can’t feel and I stripped the diff pressure plate on my 2nd run using a brushless 17.5T motor....

1 hour ago, FCUL78 said:

Kinda disappointed with it. The dampers are rubbish. LiPo can’t fit, NiMh is a tight fit. 

I haven't built mine yet, but I took quick measurements of the battery location and found several Lipo's that will fit.  Also, there is a member in this thread that mounted a Lipo in his...  With the older cars (and re-releases are just older cars re-released), you can't just try to fit any battery into them..

6 hours ago, FCUL78 said:

Just finished building my SA. Still waiting for the electronics. 

The other buggy I own is the Top Force and it’s way better although LiPo can’t feel and I stripped the diff pressure plate on my 2nd run using a brushless 17.5T motor....

A couple suggestions my friend. There are numerous Lipo batteries that fit the classic 7.2V format that the older cars utilize. I've got a Lipo from (3) different manufacturers in my rere Egress, Original Top Force, and for my Astute restoration. I'll get you pics when I get home from business. 

The Top Force gearbox is quite bomb proof, I'm still running 25 year old internals that have held up to decades of abuse from Brushed modifieds and now a Novak 10T Brushless. I'd check the instructions, maybe you built it wrong.

Yes, for 300 maybe the Super Astute should've came with the Hicaps but it's what it came with in 92. Heck people are *******ed that Tamiya went with a new slipper and not the undergeared original. The CVA shock is really good, sure not as flashy as a Hicap or Aeration but they perform well.

• Like 1

The dampers are poor as can be sadly I agree. They just don't work well, stiff and sloppy. Hicaps should have been in this kit for sure.

Fit a shorty Lipo, works like a charm a gets the weight down.

Lee

Agree and you need to put some effort into CVA's, shimming pistons, swapping pistons (some TRF pistons fit), change the guide location in the rear, different springs.

I found Blitzer rear springs and CC01 front springs with one collar best for me.  Oh and Turnigy square 3600 and 4000mah Li-Po batteries go straight in, even in the original.

• Like 1

This re-release reminds me of the VW MKIV GLI and 20TH Anniversary GTI. After years of tape and badge engineered GTI/GLI VW finally gave us a GTI/GLI with real brakes, brake scoops, recaro seats, BBS wheels etc. Something we as enthusiasts had been, asking for since the 1992 16V GTI, and what happened? People complained the big brakes made noises, they couldn't fit in the recaro seats, and the front lower spoilers were too low. Now the new GTI/GLI is good but not anywhere near as hardcore as the MKIV. No BBS wheels, no recaros, no low front spoilers with brake ducts etc. People are never happy!

The Astute has been on the wish list of guys like us for a rere since they first Dyna Storm Rere. We finally get one and what happens? Oh the slipper clutch isn't the same, the chassis isn't graphite, it doesn't have Hicaps etc. I'm super grateful the Astute is back in any form. Id rather it be the OG but the super is good enough for me. I'm glad we have spare parts and if timing and money works out I'll add one to the stable. If not I'll just sit back and pray for a King cab next!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

The Astute has been on the wish list of guys like us for a rere since they first Dyna Storm Rere. We finally get one and what happens? Oh the slipper clutch isn't the same, the chassis isn't graphite, it doesn't have Hicaps etc. I'm super grateful the Astute is back in any form. Id rather it be the OG but the super is good enough for me. I'm glad we have spare parts and if timing and money works out I'll add one to the stable. If not I'll just sit back and pray for a King cab next!

Well said, you did always have to be up for the challenge with Astute ownership and nothing has changed !   :D

Challenge accepted, as of this moment, I have 3 Super Astutes and a Astute , wait for it.....all running 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GTodd said:

This re-release reminds me of the VW MKIV GLI and 20TH Anniversary GTI. After years of tape and badge engineered GTI/GLI VW finally gave us a GTI/GLI with real brakes, brake scoops, recaro seats, BBS wheels etc. Something we as enthusiasts had been, asking for since the 1992 16V GTI, and what happened? People complained the big brakes made noises, they couldn't fit in the recaro seats, and the front lower spoilers were too low. Now the new GTI/GLI is good but not anywhere near as hardcore as the MKIV. No BBS wheels, no recaros, no low front spoilers with brake ducts etc. People are never happy!

Oh I'm grateful, your reading into it too much. I'm just stating an opinion and personal preference. The lack of turnbuckles and front bearings I can overlook, but at the price point, myself, id have liked a higher quality damper, instead of having to out source for a set.

Lee

The optional DF03 dampers listed in the manual are a must have IMO. The stock dampers are rubbish when running this wonderful model. These DF03 shock shafts are quite a bit longer, so it took some trial and error to get the length right. If I remember correctly, the rear damper gets the long plastic spacer (5-7mm?) provided on the parts tree included with the shocks. And the front I had to use 2 black rubber o-rings, plus another 4mm worth of spacers, all included with the DF03 dampers.

P1080084.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These DF03's drop right on after sorting the length, and the spring rates (medium) provided with the shocks are perfect. I build my kit with a Tamiya BZ motor, with stock gearing, and was quite surprised in its speed.

P1080085.JPG

• Like 4