Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

. At any rate, I heard more complaints about the plastic gear support bracket breaking 

This, this is the only thing that failed me back in the day. Someone made a metal support but I never got one. Who made it?

21 minutes ago, GTodd said:

This, this is the only thing that failed me back in the day. Someone made a metal support but I never got one. Who made it?

Full Option.

Lee

24 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Do the DF03 dampers allow the front of the chassis to bottom out on the ground at full compression (unlike the stock CVAs that run out of travel before allowing chassis contact)?

I can answer for the Astute yet, I do have the DF03 shocks on my Top Force and playing with internal and external limiters you can get where you want to be. Great shocks by the way!!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Stormer Racing also made one back in the day. Somewhere, I read that racing teams didn't have this issue but cautioned the screw at the shaft's opposite end needed to be tight and stay tight. All I remember is various reports and letters in the magazines about the plastic bracket breaking. I never had any issues with the trans in any way, but I also never ran anything over a Sport Tuned either. From the various cars and parts I've acquired over the years, I've seen everything from busted brackets to the centers of diff gears completely melted out form overheating slippage.

This!! I am a strong proponent of the Astute ball differential. The transmission never failed me. I had one bracket crack after 20 years of abuse. The ball differential lasted years as well. I've got a monster racer that I converted to the stealth transmission because I couldn't find spare parts anymore . It's a great ball differential. The front bulkhead and the rear D parts are what let me down on the Astute. Spares fixed that problem 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Do the DF03 dampers allow the front of the chassis to bottom out on the ground at full compression (unlike the stock CVAs that run out of travel before allowing chassis contact)?

The rear end will definitely touch the ground, the front will stop about 2-3mm before touching terra firma. Possibly moving the bottom of the shock out to the next hole on the a-arms will achieve the bottomed out effect if desired.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Challenge accepted, as of this moment, I have 3 Super Astutes and a Astute , wait for it.....all running 

I'll need some pics!!! I just scored a BARGIN basement price score for a kingcab chassis. I have enough spares to build Two, I wish I could say the same for Astutes!

Fitted some very nice HPP arms to my stock car from DSRCC. The mods on this will start when I finish the Dynastorm, but have to say these are amazingly finished and feel very strong indeed.

Lee

20190222_172102.jpg

Edited by ralphee
Added information.
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2019 at 4:26 PM, ralphee said:

Full Option.

Lee

Indeed.  I did a run of these a few weeks ago.  Sold out in an hour, so I had to do a load more.  People are breaking the kit part, if the interest I had was anything to go by.  I had been asked by a few people over the past few years, racers putting their Astutes into vintage events.  But until the re-release there was not enough demand.

49864152_10161147050815167_6809202981704

• Like 3

In have been running an original vintage brace for a while, I would order a couple more for my other Astutes...

On 2/22/2019 at 1:38 PM, LongRat said:

Indeed.  I did a run of these a few weeks ago.  Sold out in an hour, so I had to do a load more.  People are breaking the kit part, if the interest I had was anything to go by.  I had been asked by a few people over the past few years, racers putting their Astutes into vintage events.  But until the re-release there was not enough demand.

49864152_10161147050815167_6809202981704

I need three please! One for my childhood Astute I'm rebuilding, one for the kingcab I'm building from spare parts, and one for the re-re super Astute I'm buying when I get my taxes back 😁

Hopefully I'll get some time in the next couple of weeks to get some more made, I will post in the sales section when I have more.

• Like 3

Ok need some help.  I think I found the yellow CVAs from my original Astute, but Im not sure.  Iv e long lost the manual, can someone please measure your super astute front and rear CVA shocks eye to eye and post the measurements, thank you.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:24 AM, LongRat said:

Hopefully I'll get some time in the next couple of weeks to get some more made, I will post in the sales section when I have more.

Great , whats the price if you have spear ?.  May need 3 or 4 . Ha you may need to do what toykid is doing , RC store ( 3D ) for his stuff .

I know yours is great quality . 

9 hours ago, King Zulu said:

Big bores are plug in play, no spacers or shims needed.

resized.jpg

The big bores look very nice! What kills them for me is the requirement to run a taller shock tower up front. Can you add internal spacers to make the big bore shocks work up front? I experimented by using short CVA shocks upfront and they were fine after a few internal spacers were used.

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

The big bores look very nice! What kills them for me is the requirement to run a taller shock tower up front. Can you add internal spacers to make the big bore shocks work up front? I experimented by using short CVA shocks upfront and they were fine after a few internal spacers were used.

I actually bought two sets of rear dampers, there is no way they would fit up front without a taller shock tower. I'm using the taller Fyber Lite tower up front and its fine. I think someone mentioned that they had to use spacers up front to make them work with the stock tower. I also raised the rear shock tower, i think if i kept it in the stock location, i would have needed at least a 2mm spacer. The stock CVA shocks shouldn't need any internal spacer unless you're using different springs. I believe someone also mentioned that their front CVAs were bottoming out before the chassis touched, mine never bottomed out though..

I was wondering of the big bore front dampers fit. I think I'll have the answer soon. I'm fitting similarly sized CVA dampers that I have to my Astute I'm restoring. More in a bit 

On 3/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, matman said:

Great , whats the price if you have spear ?.  May need 3 or 4 . Ha you may need to do what toykid is doing , RC store ( 3D ) for his stuff .

I know yours is great quality . 

£22 each posted.  As you probably know my interest is as much in the manufacturing as it is the design, I like to keep it all in-house.  This means short runs on-demand usually.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 3:18 PM, GTodd said:

I was wondering of the big bore front dampers fit. I think I'll have the answer soon. I'm fitting similarly sized CVA dampers that I have to my Astute I'm restoring. More in a bit 

If you did not already find out, they will fit perfectly.