Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

On 4/3/2019 at 10:18 AM, GTodd said:

Very nice build up, great parts selection. Respectfully I’d like to add that I dont think your modification is going to do anything for reducing flex. Due to the ball cups and the fact that the servo mounts aren’t tied together the chassis is going to be able to flex in the X Axis still.

Additionally I’d like to add that some chassis flex is ok, it’s one of the reasons AE went back to a metal chassis in the RC10 instead of graphite before switching to the plastic composite chassis they run now.

Not even debatable that it reduces the (Y) flex by over 40% on the Y axis, the X axis flex is a non issue with the Super Astute.. Torsional flex from ball cups? My bad, i forgot to calculate that .001th of a inch.. This was just a mockup, all pointless X axis's have been secured..

• Like 1

I wouldn't have bothered, so much less flex with the re re chassis compared to my originals anyway

• Like 2

19 hours ago, King Zulu said:

Not even debatable that it reduces the (Y) flex by over 40% on the Y axis, the X axis flex is a non issue with the Super Astute.. Torsional flex from ball cups? My bad, i forgot to calculate that .001th of a inch.. This was just a mockup, all pointless X axis's have been secured..

No reason to get deffensive.  I started my post giving props and appreciating what you did.  The ball cups allow the flex because they alow for rotation still which will add to flex.  Dont be so deffensive.  The point of a forum is to express opinions and enjoy everyones company, chill out. 

• Thanks 1

What other spur gears can you use? What slipper clutch is this rere super astute based on? TRF201? The Durga?

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

What other spur gears can you use? What slipper clutch is this rere super astute based on? TRF201? The Durga?

The ReRe seems based on the DF03 set because that had 0.5 mod gears too. TRF201 and Durga both use 48dp

Has anyone tried different brand/model's sliper pads and spurs in order to use 48p?

Back in November, I was actually worried about missing out on this one, not having pre-ordered or anything... Almost six months on, and Tamico is still selling Super Astutes - only much cheaper. I think I'll try not to panic next time... 

Yep!!! There are tons. I’m ordering one next month and a worlds RC10, probably a TXT as well.

10 hours ago, GTodd said:

Yep!!! There are tons. I’m ordering one next month and a worlds RC10, probably a TXT as well.

I thought the Worlds RC10 was sold out?

1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

I thought the Worlds RC10 was sold out?

Yes, its been discontinued for about 2 year now. At one time they could not give them away; Places like Stormer Hobbies were selling them for $170, I bought a few of them. But now that that they are in low supply, people are selling them for crazy amounts from $500 to $1500 on eBay. The RC10 Classic even more $$$

• Like 1

Yeah, unfortunaltley like the ferrari 308/328 and ANY aircooled 911 I missed the bus on the RC10 Rere. I always wanted one because I wanted to see what the big deal was.  Ive been running a Stealth in my Monster Racer for the past year and Im truley impressed with its smoothness and reliability, interested in what the rest of the car is like.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GTodd said:

Yeah, unfortunaltley like the ferrari 308/328 and ANY aircooled 911 I missed the bus on the RC10 Rere. I always wanted one because I wanted to see what the big deal was.  Ive been running a Stealth in my Monster Racer for the past year and Im truley impressed with its smoothness and reliability, interested in what the rest of the car is like.  

I too missed the bus for an  air-cooled 911, 10 years ago they were a $20k car all day long. I do have a flared 914 without the six, sadly the flat six engine conversion is now double what it used to cost, supply and demand being what they are. 

Regarding the RC10, I did find one of each that are unbuilt before the boom, vintage models are still reasonably priced. A classic from that shop though is around 475 USD, might be worth it if you got a Tamiya or a few at not MAP pricing.

On 4/6/2019 at 2:27 AM, Snappy1 said:

I wouldn't have bothered, so much less flex with the re re chassis compared to my originals anyway

The re re has a ridiculous amount of flex everywhere, and it wasn't a bother for me.

Does any of Tamiya's other spur gears fit that modern slipper installed in the Rere? Getting .5 module pinions are difficult to source!

I can't confirm but I did see a post on FB the other day where somebody said that Schumacher and Associated 48dp spurs fit.

I picked mine up off Ebay built and it has Associated B4 48P spur on it. I can't tell if center hole is reamed slightly or not, almost looks like it is not but it works fine.  Using stock Astute slipper metal parts and the AE slipper pads.  Have run it a bunch bashing around with 13.5T no issues. 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:02 AM, RCvet said:

I picked mine up off Ebay built and it has Associated B4 48P spur on it. I can't tell if center hole is reamed slightly or not, almost looks like it is not but it works fine.  Using stock Astute slipper metal parts and the AE slipper pads.  Have run it a bunch bashing around with 13.5T no issues. 

Awesome!!! Thanks! No duh!! I've got a stealth on my KingCab, I didn't think to check!!!

hi guys

what chassis does the super astute use? thanks

7 hours ago, trexfan said:

hi guys

what chassis does the super astute use? thanks

The Super Astute is the ultimate version of the Astute series. Started with the Astute, which was Tamiyas attempt at a race spec 2wd. It had a FRP plate chassis, ball diff and loads of adjustability, but was complex, heavy and a little fragile. Then the entry level (simpler, more plastic) Madcap and Saint Dragon, and the Super Astute combined some of the simplicity of the cheaper versions with a revised fibre chassis, better wheels and shocks and a slipper clutch transmission. They are related to the Kibg Cab and Monster Racer too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:45 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

The Super Astute is the ultimate version of the Astute series. Started with the Astute, which was Tamiyas attempt at a race spec 2wd. It had a FRP plate chassis, ball diff and loads of adjustability, but was complex, heavy and a little fragile. Then the entry level (simpler, more plastic) Madcap and Saint Dragon, and the Super Astute combined some of the simplicity of the cheaper versions with a revised fibre chassis, better wheels and shocks and a slipper clutch transmission. They are related to the Kibg Cab and Monster Racer too. 

Does that mean I can make a fair semblance of an upgraded monster racer by starting with a SA base. Would this be in the appropriate lineage and are the arms long enough where stadium truck wheels would wind up in the right place? (I'm speaking of the track width)

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Does that mean I can make a fair semblance of an upgraded monster racer by starting with a SA base. Would this be in the appropriate lineage and are the arms long enough where stadium truck wheels would wind up in the right place? (I'm speaking of the track width)

thanks for that