Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

1 hour ago, trexfan said:

thanks for that 

As if any of us really needed a reason to buy another car or two or three. 

Any idea on the arm widths then?

3 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

Does that mean I can make a fair semblance of an upgraded monster racer by starting with a SA base. Would this be in the appropriate lineage and are the arms long enough where stadium truck wheels would wind up in the right place? (I'm speaking of the track width)

I'm not familiar enough with any of these cars to say for sure, but having had a quick look at the 58086 Hilux manual, my guess would be yes. I think the easiest way to get something near would be seeing if Mad Bull front steering arms with the long axles fit the c hubs on the SA. If they do, you can buy some Blitzer Beetle or Aqroshot wheels (same wheels, just orange or white colour), some Schumacher truck tyres and foams (I would recommend Stagger Rib fronts and Mini Spikes rear in yellow compound) to get the look. You would have to lash up something for body mounts, and you might want to fit a Dyna Storm front tower (Fibre Lyte do a repro carbon fibre version) to get short shocks on the front instead of mini shocks. Maybe @GTodd or someone with direct experience of the Monster Racer and Astute can give you some better advice.

Hey!!!! The only parts the monster racer/KingCab shares with the Astute is the transmission. Every other part is different to include the chassis. I'm sure you could convert an Astute or Super Astute to a stadium truck in the vein of the conversions from back in the day before the Kingcabs, RC10ts etc came out. 

I couldn't find any more ball differential rebuild kits for the transmissions , I just converted my one KingCab to the Rere Super Astute transmission. The new TTC is a very nice mod for vintage Astutes and Kingcab/Monster Racers. 

Is the new TTC a noisy gearbox? I ask because I just installed one in my KingCab and no matter how loose or tight I make the slipper the gearbox makes a clicking noise anytime it experiences an impact. The kind of noise a gearbox makes when it's missing a tooth yet all the internals are as.new.

Crickets :)  This thing is driving me nuts!!!! Why did they make the gear pitch so fine???!!!!! I just wanted totry out the "improved" gearbox, not too impressed!

Having not built one yet, I hope that a resolution presents itself. 

Bump for visibility and best of luck.

I never noticed that with my re-re Super Astute I built a couple of months back. It never ran on anything too tricky, but seemed nice and smooth. Certainly nothing heard above brushed motor and tire noises

GTodd, is it a re re gearbox you are having trouble with?

I had problems with spur shaft alignment due to misfitting the A3 part, could cause a click

On 8/2/2019 at 11:54 PM, Snappy1 said:

GTodd, is it a re re gearbox you are having trouble with?

I had problems with spur shaft alignment due to misfitting the A3 part, could cause a click

Thank you sir, I'll be giving that a look!

Where are you guys purchasing spares? Im trying to piece together another gearbox for another project.  I can find the arms but I cant find anything having to do with the gear box. I need the case, the gear set, the slipper assembly etc.

Hey some updates for questions I had:

Tamiya USA site has been updated, spares can be found there.

Associated B4 Slipper Spurs and slipper pads fit (the spur requires a litte reeming). 

The clicking noise my transmision was making was because there was play in the shaft, a little shimming fixed it all up!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GTodd said:

Associated B4 Slipper Spurs and slipper pads fit (the spur requires a litte reeming).

If that is the 48dp spurs then for what it's worth the Tamiya TRF201 77 and 79 spurs will fit too. 

.......I'm so frustrated with this transmission!!!! No sooner did i type that the noise was gone it returned. The noise sounds like one of the gears is missing a tooth or 20!! Why the heck didn't Tamiya just add a gear diff and a slipper with the 32P gears of the standard transmission? 

I'm trying to get the TTC to work in one of my Kingcabs and it's not working. It makes a horrible squelching/clicking sound. I've ordered another gear set for it. If this doesn't work I'll be converting another Kingcab to stealth.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

For all the problems you've been having with the transmission, I'm seriously debating about selling my SA re-re runner before its maiden voyage.:unsure:

Yeah I don't get it. My 30 year old Astute runs great. How's everyone else's SA? Did I do something wrong?

4 hours ago, GTodd said:

Yeah I don't get it. My 30 year old Astute runs great. How's everyone else's SA? Did I do something wrong?

Something definitely sounds wrong. My SA has a Tamiya 10.5T and its been quiet so far. I had built another SA with a BZ super sport in it, and it was quiet too.

2 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

Something definitely sounds wrong. My SA has a Tamiya 10.5T and its been quiet so far. I had built another SA with a BZ super sport in it, and it was quiet too.

Thanks, grrrrrr. This is not my first Tamiya, I've been building these things for years. I even built the Rere Bruiser and it's ridiculously complex 3spd transmission with zero issues. So I must've done something wrong. I'll take the blame, I just don't know for what.  

I have had a couple of attempts at fixing it, my feeling is it is in the geared diif housing, my plan is swap my vintage diif gear in and see how it goes.

IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING ,I have 2 vintage Super Astutes and one Astute, I bought the re re to run , it hasnt seen a full pack through it yet

21 hours ago, GTodd said:

Thanks, grrrrrr. This is not my first Tamiya, I've been building these things for years. I even built the Rere Bruiser and it's ridiculously complex 3spd transmission with zero issues. So I must've done something wrong. I'll take the blame, I just don't know for what.  

It may very well be a defect in the gears themselves. Any slight variation in the tolerances could cause an issue. When the RC10 worlds edition came out it had a problem with the top shaft being slightly off causing the transmission to have rough spots when rotating. Associated's answer was to run the gears in. Not sure if this will work with the SA transmission, the clicking noise almost sounds like it could be skipping teeth.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, Snappy1 said:

I have had a couple of attempts at fixing it, my feeling is it is in the geared diif housing, my plan is swap my vintage diif gear in and see how it goes.

IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING ,I have 2 vintage Super Astutes and one Astute, I bought the re re to run , it hasnt seen a full pack through it yet

Oh yeah please try that! I've rebuilt the diff with original Avante diff internals but same issue. Currently the new trans is out and running the Kingcab with the standard box until the spare gears show up.

Hi,

Just the body and C-Hubs come from the rerelease. 

zkzs.jpeg

qk93.jpeg

agux.jpeg

a5ch.jpeg

Old body vs new body :
r41v.jpeg

I interested by the new ttc with a 17.5 brushless, but the gear ratio isn’t suitable. :( 

So I kept my old ttc with the Superstock BZ. 

• Like 7