Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

Does anyone know which associated spur gears will work with the Super Astute? The spur looks to have some molding on one side so it doesn't appear be to be standard spur?

• Like 1

Any will work, just be sure to use associate slipper pads too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Whats special about the Associated ones? Will any brand work?

11 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Whats special about the Associated ones? Will any brand work?

The associate ones take just a smidge of reaming to have them fit the Astute slipper shaft. The associate slipper pads work perfectly with the Tamiya hardware. Tamiya's 201x Spurs are a drop in.  I don't know if anyone has tried another brand. Most go to associate due to the wide range of gear sizes and ease of availability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Another option to try is 5x10x3 bearings. I think associated had them done. They are 1050 sized, but 3mm thick instead of 4mm. Rubber sealed one side only. One of these on the inside of the upright would give you 1mm more space for you dtiveshafts and you would just need an M5 washer on the outside to space out the wheel spacers. rcbearings.co.uk have them. 

@ThunderDragonCy   You big brain !   This would possibly allow standard DF01 / Top Force universal driveshafts to fit into the Super Astute re-re for the cost of two bearings..... I'm giving this a crack !

Looking for correct size 5x11x3 right now !

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 4:40 PM, GTodd said:

Hey mate. Just to help avoid buying extra spurs, are you able to let us know if the 72t works and which pinions? Even with a 75t option I'm looking at needing a 28-29 pinion and I don't even know if that will fit so I'm hoping to run 72/27

Cheers

17 hours ago, Jesse James said:

Hey mate. Just to help avoid buying extra spurs, are you able to let us know if the 72t works and which pinions? Even with a 75t option I'm looking at needing a 28-29 pinion and I don't even know if that will fit so I'm hoping to run 72/27

Cheers

I'm wondering the same thing. Easy to work out the FDR but its the spacing. I'm planning on 2 spurs, one for a Super Stock 23T and one for 17.5T brushless

There are seriously TONS of options. The TRF201 48P spur is a drop in too, but good luck finding that at a local shop. AA Spurs can be found anywhere, paired with their slipper pads your only limitation is your wallet. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GTodd said:

There are seriously TONS of options. The TRF201 48P spur is a drop in too, but good luck finding that at a local shop. AA Spurs can be found anywhere, paired with their slipper pads your only limitation is your wallet. 

Cheers mate, we understand, but I guess what we want to know is how much more motor movement is available, eg you use 77/22, that's really helpful, but when you have that gearing, is there much movement left for you motor to either use a smaller pinion or a larger one ie could you fit a 30t pinon or an 18 for example

Cheers for the help

1 hour ago, Jesse James said:

Cheers mate, we understand, but I guess what we want to know is how much more motor movement is available, eg you use 77/22, that's really helpful, but when you have that gearing, is there much movement left for you motor to either use a smaller pinion or a larger one ie could you fit a 30t pinon or an 18 for example

Cheers for the help

You all are over thinking this, but that's ok.  I'll even get a picture up. You can run stoc sized gear due to the large number of possble spur and pinion combinations and maintain the same range of adjustments. I'm running a slightly smaller spur than stock, so the range of adjustments is even greater. 

13 hours ago, Jesse James said:

Cheers for the help

You can work a couple of things out by comparison using this website

https://ultrascale.uk/node/15

Ut has 0.5mod option for the kit setup, but also 48dp for associated options. For instance @GTodd 77/22 setup has almost the same distance between centres as a 72/28 that some people have been asking about. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

You can work a couple of things out by comparison using this website

https://ultrascale.uk/node/15

Ut has 0.5mod option for the kit setup, but also 48dp for associated options. For instance @GTodd 77/22 setup has almost the same distance between centres as a 72/28 that some people have been asking about. 

Thats a great tool, thanks for posting it. I was stung once buying spur and pinions for one car, didn't realise 64p were so much smaller than 48p...

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:06 AM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Does anyone know which associated spur gears will work with the Super Astute? The spur looks to have some molding on one side so it doesn't appear be to be standard spur?

Any B4-style spur with the octagonal slipper pad will fit. You'll have to ream the center bore to 5mm. You can use pretty much any slipper spur (I have a Vaterra spur on mine, not an Associated) with the corresponding slipper pads. Associated spurs and pads are the easiest to find locally for most people, and it's way easier to find 48p pinions than M0.5 ones. 

• Like 1

I completed the Top Force universal shaft mod and the shake-down run was lightening fast with an LRP V10 17x2 and 23t pinion.  Nothing broken and ready for action !

Hop-Ups as follows :  Rear suspension arm mounts are Stadium / Blitzer Beetle C parts with nib cut off and extra lock nuts, ultra high viscosity gear diff oil, 5mm disc spring washer at back of slipper shaft, Top Force universal shafts fitted using two 5x11x3 bearings inside the rear hubs, (perfect fit no other mods), pin type alloy wheel hexes, Hybrid Spike Rear Tyres, ORB Racing front and rear bulkheads plus ORB front tower support, DF03 Setting Spring hard rear springs, rear dampers built with the O,rings fitted between the guides and CVAII rear lower mounts, CC01 front springs, DB01 turnbuckles and adjusters with dust covers, High Torque Servo Saver, titanium hex screws and 3mm lock nuts throughout.  The best performing Hop-Ups are the easiest, the more secure rear suspension arm mounts and the ultra high viscosity gear diff oil followed by the springs.   

SA2080320 (3).jpg

SA2080320 (1).jpg

SA2080320 (2).jpg

SA2080320 (4).jpg

SA2080320 (5).jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thommo said:

I completed the Top Force universal shaft mod and the shake-down run was lightening fast with an LRP V10 17x2 and 23t pinion.  Nothing broken and ready for action !

Hop-Ups as follows :  Rear suspension arm mounts are Stadium / Blitzer Beetle C parts with nib cut off and extra lock nuts, ultra high viscosity gear diff oil, 5mm disc spring washer at back of slipper shaft, Top Force universal shafts fitted using two 5x11x3 bearings inside the rear hubs, (perfect fit no other mods), pin type alloy wheel hexes, Hybrid Spike Rear Tyres, ORB Racing front and rear bulkheads plus ORB front tower support, DF03 Setting Spring hard rear springs, rear dampers built with the O,rings fitted between the guides and CVAII rear lower mounts, CC01 front springs, DB01 turnbuckles and adjusters with dust covers, High Torque Servo Saver, titanium hex screws and 3mm lock nuts throughout.  The best performing Hop-Ups are the easiest, the more secure rear suspension arm mounts and the ultra high viscosity gear diff oil followed by the springs.   

SA2080320 (3).jpg

SA2080320 (1).jpg

SA2080320 (2).jpg

SA2080320 (4).jpg

SA2080320 (5).jpg

Great looking build!

Whats the benefit of those C parts from the Blitzer Beetle? They're cheap, makes sense to use them from the start.

And what weight oil is that? I have from 1k upto 1m CST so should have something suitable. I assume pretty thick so it doesn't leak? Or does the diff seal pretty well?

Thanks !  The Blitzer C parts have more material for longer screws and are tougher.  It's 3 Racing ultra high viscosity gear diff oil you seek !

How did you stretch the pin spikes over the bigger rear wheels Thommo?
Looks quite cool old school Astute. Does this mod need foams inside to keep the shape?
Very cool mods, have to analyze if the C-part trick is suitable for the Dyna Storm, too.

Yeah, I use foams in pretty much everything and the hybrid spikes and oval blocks work fine....tight fit though of course.  Not sure about the DS but I do know others just like ORB have spent a lot of time designing improved 3D print rear arm mounts. 

• Like 1

I'm just getting the last bits together for my Super Astute build.  I don't want to spend the money on hi caps at this stage, but do have the kit Top Force CVA's  available since my Top Force got hi caps. 

Whats the better bet - Dynastorm front tower and Top Force CVA's, or just the standard setup?  The car is likely to see some use in an indoor vintage race class, but mostly just at home.

This is Lee Broadhurts 2nd place Euro Master Super Astute. He brought it to Tamiya Junkies last Saturday. Gorgeous machine! Thry are schumacher small bore shocks and looks like a tall front tower to me. 

FB_IMG_1584690038389.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

This is Lee Broadhurts 2nd place Euro Master Super Astute. He brought it to Tamiya Junkies last Saturday. Gorgeous machine! Thry are schumacher small bore shocks and looks like a tall front tower to me. 

FB_IMG_1584690038389.jpg

That looks pretty cool. Whats with the white arms? 3D printed or from another car?

@LongRat might be able to shed some light on this car if I'm not mistaken !

17 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That looks pretty cool. Whats with the white arms? 3D printed or from another car?

DRSCC Delrin arms. He's on facebook. 

They are such fun cars! I "only" have an OG Astute with a Rere Super Astute Transmission.

Lee's car is GORGEOUS!