Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

4 hours ago, Juhunio said:

That's looking great! What's the part ref for the servo mounts? I presume they're the DF03 dampers?

Thanks! The shocks are Tamiya big bore aeration dampers 54504/54505. The servo mounts are 54397 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

I have finished the chassis and just have the body to paint. Its box stock atm as I'm waiting on the Dyna Storm front shock tower before swapping to Hi Caps. I did switch to ae 48p spur though to give more gearing options, and turnbuckels. Guess its less box stock than I thought. Running a Super Stock TZ.

It sits quite high, I assume it was designed for heavier batteries? Is it worth weighing the front down?

On 5/13/2020 at 2:05 AM, Jonathon Gillham said:

It sits quite high, I assume it was designed for heavier batteries? Is it worth weighing the front down?

Well, it was designed in the early 90's where loose dirt racing was the thing.  Those cars did require more ground clearance than the cars racing today on packed dirt or clay.

• Like 1

Well, finally caved and bought this from Tamiya USA.  Never owned a Super Astute so it should be a fun build.

Should I use gear putty for the diff??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highflyer said:

Well, finally caved and bought this from Tamiya USA.  Never owned a Super Astute so it should be a fun build.

3 Racing Ultra High Viscosity Gear Diff Oil.  You only need the smallest amount and it gives great LSD effect...... for the car that is !

• Like 1

I just used AW grease and the diff is pretty sticky. It is freeing up though so the diff putty could be a good option, I'll know after a few packs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, highflyer said:

Use putty even the thickest oil will leak out and the the thickest Greece will get flung to the sides of the case. Putty stays!!! I built mine with putty as well as my Terra Scorcher. Works AMAZING.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 3:35 AM, Thommo said:

@ThunderDragonCy   You big brain !   This would possibly allow standard DF01 / Top Force universal driveshafts to fit into the Super Astute re-re for the cost of two bearings..... I'm giving this a crack !

Looking for correct size 5x11x3 right now !

Hey, just working through this thread ahead of a SA build. @ThunderDragonCy mentioned 5x10x3 bearings, then you've referenced 5x11x3 here and in your later post. Which size is right please? And is the size reference MR115? And I presume fully shielded bearings would be fine ie MR115ZZ?

Thanks!

2 bearings, 1 in the inner of each rear hub (5x11x3) only for fitting Top Force or DF02 universal shafts.

You are just replacing the 1150 bearings with an 1150 x 3mm bearing.

• Thanks 1

No offend for the people that own this car, but what is the thing with this car, when  look at it and then the price to me it is an just an overpriced 2wd buggy and I find it ugly, cars as the avante or egress I can see why there are expensive this one not or it had to be come with gold gears or something.

Simply I can see why it cost so much if I compare it to other cars like an topforce or other 4wd buggies that cost less or a zahhak, maybe it is just me but I don't get it.

for that price there are a lot nicer cars to buy something like the kyosho  2wd scorpion, beetle and so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

No offend for the people that own this car, but what is the thing with this car, when  look at it and then the price to me it is an just an overpriced 2wd buggy and I find it ugly, cars as the avante or egress I can see why there are expensive this one not or it had to be come with gold gears or something.

Simply I can see why it cost so much if I compare it to other cars like an topforce or other 4wd buggies that cost less or a zahhak, maybe it is just me but I don't get it.

for that price there are a lot nicer cars to buy something like the kyosho  2wd scorpion, beetle and so.

You're going to offend a lot people, but you're not wrong.

1 hour ago, Thommo said:

2 bearings, 1 in the inner of each rear hub (5x11x3) only for fitting Top Force or DF02 universal shafts.

You are just replacing the 1150 bearings with an 1150 x 3mm bearing.

Yeah, I’ve got the top force universals on the way.

That bearing size seems pretty rare, the only place I can find them is an eBay seller in China with a lead time of roughly 1 Billion years 😄 

Did you find yours more easily?

3 hours ago, dannymulder said:

I know what you mean. Here the RRP for it is NZD459, compared to a modern 2wd race kit for about NZD600 (which have alloy shocks and alloy/carbon fibre parts) or a Top Force for NZD409 it doesn't make sense. I found one for NZD342 delivered which stacked up to me. It is a nice buggy though, all the bushings to remove slop, it goes together really nicely, a bit over engineered perhaps.

I also like the look, looks great next to the Top Force.

One thing about the price here though is they have all gone up. A lunchbox is about NZD290 atm, comoared to NZD190 a year ago. The Top Force was NZD309 the first time around, but the second release NZD409, or even more from some shops. So I think down here the Super Astute arrived when prices had gone up generally, and if it had been released a year earlier it would have been a much better price. I think its a great buggy, its just the price is the issue.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, King Zulu said:

@King Zulu consider this a courtesy as I’m telling you up front. This attitude and language has no place in society let  alone a forum about toy cars.  Post flagged .

and before any justifications or excuses come out, none are valid. I will not be engaging with this further.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, King Zulu said:

What was that all about, i just woke from a coma, is he the best RC builder in the world? Again, i just woke from a coma, smh. My name is Superluminal.

Nah, TN is probably the best in the world.

But, given velocity and gasoline, electricity and adrenaline, I want to be...

13 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Nah, TN is probably the best in the world.

But, given velocity and gasoline, electricity and adrenaline, I want to be...

TN literally copied my Super Astute, how do you not know this?

5 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Yeah, I’ve got the top force universals on the way.

That bearing size seems pretty rare, the only place I can find them is an eBay seller in China with a lead time of roughly 1 Billion years 😄 

Did you find yours more easily?

Yeah, it's an odd size.  I'll pm you a link.  Mine came from an eBay seller as being from China but strangely the bearings were sent to me from Germany.  Good quality too !  I got a pack of ten so I have spares but I live in the farthest corner of the globe from anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 9:24 PM, gregdogghurst said:

Thanks! The shocks are Tamiya big bore aeration dampers 54504/54505. The servo mounts are 54397 👍🏽

Sorry, another question...do the BBBA dampers fit the Super Astute front shock tower or did you need the Dyna Storm part?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I know what you mean. Here the RRP for it is NZD459, compared to a modern 2wd race kit for about NZD600 (which have alloy shocks and alloy/carbon fibre parts) or a Top Force for NZD409 it doesn't make sense. I found one for NZD342 delivered which stacked up to me. It is a nice buggy though, all the bushings to remove slop, it goes together really nicely, a bit over engineered perhaps.

I also like the look, looks great next to the Top Force.

One thing about the price here though is they have all gone up. A lunchbox is about NZD290 atm, comoared to NZD190 a year ago. The Top Force was NZD309 the first time around, but the second release NZD409, or even more from some shops. So I think down here the Super Astute arrived when prices had gone up generally, and if it had been released a year earlier it would have been a much better price. I think its a great buggy, its just the price is the issue.

If I want to buy 1 not that I want to, the cheapest for me is tamico at 300euro/538nzd, I can buy a topforce for 180euro/322nzd and the kyosho cars are 250/448 nzd, and a month ago rcmart had some trf 201 in stock for 180euro/322nzd, and I can get the zahhak for 130 euro/233nzd, and there are a lot new compatition buggy for the price of 300euro/538nzd so I don't get the high price for the car.

• Like 1

I got to agree Tamiya prices are ridiculous compared to high end competition cars. People still buy so there is no incentive for them to make them cheaper. Worse is the cost of parts from UK ebay vendors. 40% more than what you can get from Rc Mart and even places like Sidel and Tamico.