Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Nostalgia comes with a big price tag unfortunately

The thing is I have nothing with Nostalgia, I buy tamiya cars for the looks of it or the models that are fun to drive and because they make different stuff then other rc brands , so 300 euro for this is not worth to me, even at half that price I would not buy it.

6 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Sorry, another question...do the BBBA dampers fit the Super Astute front shock tower or did you need the Dyna Storm part?

Thanks!

They only fit the SA chassis (front and rear)if you build the shocks with spacers under the piston to limit the amount of travel. It’s not ideal for running in realty...

I didn’t try with a dynastorm tower as I think it ruins the looks of the SA but I believe it works.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dannymulder said:

The thing is I have nothing with Nostalgia, I buy tamiya cars for the looks of it or the models that are fun to drive and because they make different stuff then other rc brands , so 300 euro for this is not worth to me, even at half that price I would not buy it.

I do have the nostaligia thing, but not necessarily for the Super Astute as it was unobtainable back then too. The Madcap and St Dragon were the obtainable cars, but the SA really ticks off the family of buggies for me.

Objectively it is a good buggy though, it has a slipper and full bearings, so is worth more than a DT03 for example. Its also got the advantage of being able to take regular spur gears so you can get any gear ratio, which of course the TRF cars could do too. The prices you are facing are horrendous though, I wouldn't be buying one either!

• Like 1

Its pricey here in USA as well. I paid $300 USD for mine. Building it now. I love my top Force. This astute better be awesome. I have a DN-01 and it is great for 2wd. Top force was around 170 USD I biught a second dn01 kit waiting for it to arrive. Wish tamiya would just statnbanging out 201s at $250 so we can get them

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

Its pricey here in USA as well. I paid $300 USD for mine. Building it now. I love my top Force. This astute better be awesome. I have a DN-01 and it is great for 2wd. Top force was around 170 USD I biught a second dn01 kit waiting for it to arrive. Wish tamiya would just statnbanging out 201s at $250 so we can get them

201's were on sale for $175 at TamiyaUSA until they sold out about 6 months ago.

You can't really look at Tamiya off-road buggies for performance.  If performance is your goal, there are plenty of better more modern brands out there.  On-road, Tamiya is still doing well.  The Re-Re Super Astute isn't going to win any races with modern buggies but that's not what I bought one..  I just like the look of the older buggies and I'm a bigger fan of 2wd buggies.  ;)  

• Like 2

Building up towards a Super Astute build, and getting loads of helpful tips from this thread!

I just wanted to double check the options for upgraded dampers / mounts, as there are a few combos about. This is my understanding:

With SA front tower:

• Kit dampers
  • DF03 upgrade dampers (53926)
  • Egress Mini Hi-Caps (if you can find them, and the unicorn they're riding)
  • Buggy Big Bore Aeration Dampers, but only with lots of spacers so not really ideal

With Dyna Storm front tower

• Buggy Big Bore Aeration Dampers (without all the spacers above)
  • Top Force Hi Caps

Is that right? 

Cheers all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Building up towards a Super Astute build, and getting loads of helpful tips from this thread!

I just wanted to double check the options for upgraded dampers / mounts, as there are a few combos about. This is my understanding:

With SA front tower:

• Kit dampers
  • DF03 upgrade dampers (53926)
  • Egress Mini Hi-Caps (if you can find them, and the unicorn they're riding)
  • Buggy Big Bore Aeration Dampers, but only with lots of spacers so not really ideal

With Dyna Storm front tower

• Buggy Big Bore Aeration Dampers (without all the spacers above)
  • Top Force Hi Caps

Is that right? 

Cheers all!

DF03 will need the travel restricting also. There’s an excellent buggy damper thread on here which compares all the Tamiya shocks and gives the specs/overall length etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went with the Dyna Storm tower and hi caps, but the egress ones aren't too hard to get,  just cost a bit more. If you buy the hi caps and then get the egress shock bodies, and I assume shorter shafts, you're  there I think. You could probably sell the hi cap bodies to offset the cost. A shop in Germany has the egress bodies and they aren't  ridiculous money (but quite a lot when you conisder you have already spent a lot on hi caps and are spending more for the right look).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I went with the Dyna Storm tower and hi caps, but the egress ones aren't too hard to get,  just cost a bit more. If you buy the hi caps and then get the egress shock bodies, and I assume shorter shafts, you're  there I think. You could probably sell the hi cap bodies to offset the cost. A shop in Germany has the egress bodies and they aren't  ridiculous money (but quite a lot when you consider you have already spent a lot on hi caps and are spending more for the right look).

Thanks, that all makes sense. I'm kinda keen to stick to the SA tower, so will stick with the kit dampers until a pair of Egress fronts turn up! I've found a pair of rear Egress shocks, springs and shafts, but can't find the fronts anywhere, whether just the cylinders (19804649) or the set (84300) 

• Like 1

Kicking myself for not grabbing one of these when they were available on Tower with coupons.  I do have a Top Force coming but now I want a higher end 2wd car.  I might wait a couple weeks and snatch one off ebay or something.  Is the Super Astute verified to be discontinued?

On 5/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, A-Baum said:

Kicking myself for not grabbing one of these when they were available on Tower with coupons.  I do have a Top Force coming but now I want a higher end 2wd car.  I might wait a couple weeks and snatch one off ebay or something.  Is the Super Astute verified to be discontinued?

Same here! I was just getting ready to order one after looking at it for so long, then bam, out of stock and then no longer carried. They had the best price and I really like the Easy Pay system they have splitting it up over 3 payments.

Both RCJaz and RCMart have stock so its not too late to get one and the price is probably similar to what Tower had them for. I waited too long for the Top Force and regretted it, luckily they did another run of those a year later. I would grab the Super Astute now if I were you while you can. Or hope for another run of the Dyna Storm, but they will probably be a lot more expensive.

If there is anything I've learned over the years, and it's not just RC stuff that this applies to, it's this:

If something is released that you want (or you think that you may want in the future), and it's available now for a reasonable price, buy it now.   Period.

I've seen stuff disappear so many times even when it shouldn't be "hard to get", it reinforces the above mantra.  Suddenly it's impossible to get that item, or not at a decent price.   And I kick myself for not getting it "when it was available for less money even though I didn't really want it at the time".

"Buy now, ask questions later."

• Like 3

The dyna storm shock tower finally arrived, took about 3 months, so i can fit the Top Force hi caps.

Should I follow the Dyna Storm manual for the spacers and pistons? Or will the Top Force setup work?

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The dyna storm shock tower finally arrived, took about 3 months, so i can fit the Top Force hi caps.

Should I follow the Dyna Storm manual for the spacers and pistons? Or will the Top Force setup work?

Just build them in dry, and check first, if the front can bottom out. If yes, shock bodies and tower have the correct dimensions. Then lift the car up front until the Shocks are fully extended. If ist too much for the axle links or your likings, start adding spacers inside and check again until you are confident. The short Hicaps can be built very Long, so I tend to say you probably Need the big spacer on the front that comes within the parts tree. I would start with that Setup from Feeling, as the Dyna storm front dampers are shorter than short Hicaps.

Have fun,

Matthias

• Like 1

I want to get a Super Astute before they vanish completely. I remember when people started getting them, one of the parts on the gearbox had something removed from it, like at the factory or something. Was this every resolved? Can you get replacement parts without the issue? Do we know why Tamiya did that?

thanks!

On 6/19/2020 at 2:05 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Any pics of this all fitted? Keen to see it

1 hour ago, mtbkym01 said:

Any pics of this all fitted? Keen to see it

You'd think i would have done it by now, but not yet. If I have another day like today I might find time tomorrow. Now that I've said that I'll be flat out all week. 

• Like 1

What motors do you run in your Super Astute?

The 23T Super Stock fits and is well matched given how capable the chassis is, but they give my HW1060 grief (genuine ESC but keep cutting out).

A silvercan doesn't fit as the shaft is too short.

I have some spare 17.5T and appropriate gearing, would that be the best bet? (I haven't actually tried fitting a brushless motor, I assume they will fit though)

What ESC and motor are you running?

Also, here are some pics of the Dyna Storm tower and Top Force Hi Caps.  The tower is from Fibre-Lyte and just required 1 extra hole to be drilled to attach the body mount.

I didn't realise how bad the couch was as it makes the suspension geometry look all wrong, its pretty good.

20200914_202742 20200914_202753

Also, don't look at the stickers, I messed some up but when I looked at the price of replacements I can live with them.

I should have taken pics next to the Top Force to show how similar they are.  I haven't had a lot of run time with the Super Astute but from what I've seen its a very capable buggy, I expect it would keep up with the Top Force, although lack steering on higher grip due to the rear weight bias.

• Like 4

So, press nuts. I lost 2 on the rear shock tower and when I was replacing them (with longer screws and locknuts) I thought I saw one of them stuck down by the lower am, but that was the ones holding the arms in backing out. Whats with these things? I threadlocked where the manual said,  is it a case of constantly checking them or replacing them with locknuts?

Ohhh press nuts it was a good idea, but caused alot failures. Ive replaced mine with Tamiya's thin lock nuts 

• Like 1