Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

On 11/2/2018 at 7:29 AM, Thommo said:

Hey Champ, take a look at this for a few tips.  Post thread I discovered that a 23t Super Stock motor is about the lowest rpm motor that works in the Super Astute.  Anyone thinking of putting a Sports Tuned or GT Tuned motor in.....forget it !

I'm expecting that Tamiya will re-release the 20t - 21t 05 mod pinions just for this release too......hopefully !

Can you please explain why a standard silver can is not good in the super astute?. I had a 10.5 in mine but just swapped it out for a Tamiya Esc and silver can just because I felt like it really. A bit more “ authentic” 

cheers. 

8 hours ago, xray mark said:

Can you please explain why a standard silver can is not good in the super astute?. I had a 10.5 in mine but just swapped it out for a Tamiya Esc and silver can just because I felt like it really. A bit more “ authentic” 

cheers. 

The old super Astute had long gearing, they needed alot of hp to get out of their own way. The new one is the same stock, but you now have pretty much unlimited gearing possibilities due to easily swapped spur gears .

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, xray mark said:

cheers. 

As per GTodd, that thread is referencing the original Super Astute with more limited gear options.  There is a video in this thread of the re-re running around a small dirt track with a silver can and it's getting around really well !

On 10/5/2020 at 4:44 AM, Thommo said:

As per GTodd, that thread is referencing the original Super Astute with more limited gear options.  There is a video in this thread of the re-re running around a small dirt track with a silver can and it's getting around really well !

It´s the same problem on the later Dyna Storm! Gearing was also done for some higher rpm motors. But I remember Super Astute being even shorter gearing. So we used some hotter motors with a 13x2 t brushed motors... If you can switch to a longer ratio, it´s for sure no problem to use a sports tuned or silver can.

I guess TAmiya wanted to adress the club racers at that time.:)

But with the SA rere you have all gearing options now... 

• Like 1

Since I've got a couple of originals NIB I slept on this. Now with the re re Vanquish arriving I figured I might as well buy a Super Astute as well, but having trouble finding them. Did I sleep too long? Or are my googling skills simply lacking? 

1 hour ago, Robert5000 said:

Since I've got a couple of originals NIB I slept on this. Now with the re re Vanquish arriving I figured I might as well buy a Super Astute as well, but having trouble finding them. Did I sleep too long? Or are my googling skills simply lacking? 

Nope they've been discontinued unfortunately! Might see another batch eventually (probably highly unlikely) it was an expensive buggy for what it was!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Brilliant, I guess it's time to haemorrhage money into ebay to get one then :)

Well I hope you get one at a decent price👍 I've been looking for decals for my astute on Ebay (because I took mine off then wished I hadn't) but I'm not paying the crazy prices people want for them!

• Like 1

How was the build, was it blisterpacks or all tossed in the box? Do you have a build thread? Happy hunting for the decals! 

47 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

How was the build, was it blisterpacks or all tossed in the box? Do you have a build thread? Happy hunting for the decals! 

Very easy actually! And the box has the blister packs and set pretty much like the vqs is (minus the painted body) no ball bearing in the kit apart from two in the gearbox (if I remember correctly) also it has a planetary gearbox like the avante which I think is kinda cool? I just wished I'd left the decals on😕

20201115_195429.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a beauty! I really like how you've opted to go non-boxart on the paint, seem to remember your Optima and Tomahawk also had some choice paint. 

Yay! on the blister packs. It is settled then, I have to get one. 

• Like 1

The vqs shocks transform the astute makes it more smoother than it originally is and its super smooth stock out of the box! I really hope you can get your hands on one and at a good price🤞

• Like 2

Are these the regular vqs shocks, or the hi caps that seem to be quite difficult to source? 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, Robert5000 said:

Are these the regular vqs shocks, or the hi caps that seem to be quite difficult to source? 

They are the hi-caps the regular one are cva's like a the topforce hi-caps tamiya on the face of it don't do big volumes and are not that easy to obtain?

Hey folks, just acquired a NIB super astute. Is it true you don't need a low profile servo if you're using a standard 6 cell nimh battery? 

Also, any other recommended suspension that aren't the impossible to find hi-caps?    

On 6/10/2019 at 1:54 PM, Thommo said:

Xtra Speed carbon upgrade....... looks nice and priced OK too !

http://www.rcmart.com/carbon-upgrade-tamiya-super-astute-2018-limited-edition-p-83075.html

I finally got around to ordering one of these Xtra Speed carbon chassis and I threw in a set of VQS Hi-Caps and any spares that RCMart had going.  With shipping times followed by my super sloth rebuild method I should have some photos and an update by about October....   After the carbon chassis conversion, the FRP chassis plus a heap of spares will definitely result in another hybrid Super Astute being built so this is going to be a 2 car win - win for me !   After a couple of years of doing absolutely nothing RC related, naturally it's my OC fondness of all things Astute that is getting me back into it.

• Like 5

I'm very late to the game, but since you folks' discussions helped me significantly with my SuperAstute, I wanted to post my gratitude.  Thanks very much.  

I am one of those dummies that came in so late in the game, I had to recently pay basically over double for my NIB.  I am building 2 units.. this is one of them.  

IMG_2022-5-18-181250.thumb.jpg.b0b5e2ff2f292f893b33349baa7456bf.jpg

IMG_2022-5-18-181316.jpg.77b7c6d7d5d6fcd6cfa3910e67388915.jpg

• Like 11

Proper! And I love that you've gone the non box art-route!

I need to get round to paint mine, but haven't decided on colour yet, if memory serves me @moffman did a cool grey number on his. I might try for a bright gunmetal Super Astute, and a coppery gold VQS. Not that I know how to achieve that, but it's worth a shot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Proper! And I love that you've gone the non box art-route!

I need to get round to paint mine, but haven't decided on colour yet, if memory serves me @moffman did a cool grey number on his. I might try for a bright gunmetal Super Astute, and a coppery gold VQS. Not that I know how to achieve that, but it's worth a shot. 

Yeah with MCI decals and slightly darker astute decals on the wing (incidentally I've just has 20% off email from MCI just reminded me) 

20210707_172046.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stunning! :wub:  @moffman Which colour is that? Works so well with the decals! I know I don't have the patience to wait for decals to come all the way from Canada before I paint mine, but must admit I've popped by MCI to see if there's anything I fancy after I got the 20 % off mail. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Stunning! :wub:  @moffman Which colour is that? Works so well with the decals! I know I don't have the patience to wait for decals to come all the way from Canada before I paint mine, but must admit I've popped by MCI to see if there's anything I fancy after I got the 20 % off mail. 

Thank you much appreciated it's tamiya ps23 gun metal then backed with black! Look at @Willy iine his looks allsorts of stunning in the black! It does make you wonder what tamiya was on when they designed the colour scheme for the super astute back in the day? Maybe it was the fashion at the time but it's the only decals which I thought "just don't get it" but each to their own probably equally same amount of people like it? The actual design is really cool it's just the colours I don't get?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, moffman said:

Thank you much appreciated it's tamiya ps23 gun metal then backed with black! Look at @Willy iine his looks allsorts of stunning in the black! It does make you wonder what tamiya was on when they designed the colour scheme for the super astute back in the day? Maybe it was the fashion at the time but it's the only decals which I thought "just don't get it" but each to their own probably equally same amount of people like it? The actual design is really cool it's just the colours I don't get?

Thanks!!   I too agree that the factory color scheme was waaay out there..!  

My car was inspired by @Kol__'s Team Azarashi DT02 and @Juhunio's SuperAstute.   

I am going to be making another aluminum battery mount bracket today for SuperAstute #2's Avante driver.  :D 

IMG_2022-5-18-134116.jpg.4c05f7d91f7205a992eeca04c5af2353.jpg

IMG_2022-5-18-134145.jpg.e827dcc52f394e49c72f51e611ada22b.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Lol, yeah the OG colours are certainly a bit fubar!:blink: I've grown to like it though, as I'm sure most of us have, it's just the Super Astute and always has been. When I do mine it'll be non-box art with the Revive RC body shell, man that wrap around cockpit is pure genius!!!B)

• Like 3

Here’s the bracket I made a few moments ago..

IMG_2022-5-21-094157.jpg.1ce5be7662deb39ee9efa286394aead1.jpg

IMG_2022-5-21-094205.jpg.1d7c32ee05b37793de927c1e37ad740f.jpg

IMG_2022-5-21-094149.jpg.cae634390336f6bd14fe392c5d42d294.jpg

The Avante driver just mounts on top with some 3M VHB mounting tape after removing the posts on the bottom of the cockpit.   

When positioned, there is no rubbing of the body on the inside.   ie: Both driver helmet and cockpit cluster cover area clear, no rubbing.  :D 

• Like 4