Grastens

Tamiya 47381 - Super Astute (2018)

Recommended Posts

I really, really want one of these. Like the Top Force, I used to obsess over it in the catalogue and Radio Race Car magazine. 

That white paint and neon stickers screams 90’s too, love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn it! I was praying it'd have a ball differential.  I guess I'll use one of my spare 2013 Egress ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy's.....

Monster gearbox won't accept the gear diff because the Monster gearbox is 06 mod gears (Super Astute gear diff is 05).  The entire Super Astute TTC gearbox could however fit into a Monster Racer / King Cab. 

Super Astute gearbox won't accept the Egress diff for the same reason.  Don't sweat it though, that gear diff is sweet !

Sorry

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 2:16 AM, GTodd said:

Darn it! I was praying it'd have a ball differential.  I guess I'll use one of my spare 2013 Egress ones.

Doesn't work, different teeth module.

Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've seen the entire manual and my opinion is that Tamiya lost another occasion with this rerelease of the Super Astute.
Except for the TTC, I see always the same issues.
Tamiya modified the only part that didn't really needed to be modified, the slippery clutch.
I run the Super Astute for a while and the only problem with the TTC were the lack of pinion gears and the difficulties to the fine set up the clutch but anyway the part was good enough.
At the end the weak points of the model remains the same.
Who needs a 6 mm embossed rear plate if the A1 part still continue to break?
Other weak points?
- Rear arms mounts
- Rear Hubs.
- Rear shock tower.
- Front bulkhead.
- Flexible single sheet FRP chassis plate. No upperplate.
- 6 mm ball joint replaced with smaller ones.
- No adjustable turnbuckles.
- No CVDs.

Another issue: 730 brass bearings all around. Weight on suspension in abundance.

The gear differential works good.

Would I buy anyway this model if I would have the money and if I wouldn't have a Vintage Super Astute new in box?

Yes, for sure, cause a Super Astute is always a Super Astute.

I hope that Tamiya, or some thirty part brands, will release some hop up for this car.

Max

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Kontemax,

I’m ok with you. Tamiya missed the oportunity to release a perfect Super Astute. The quality of the plastic (I suppose it’s the same) and the lack of improvement make me say me it isn´t a good rerelease.

I disappointed by Tamiya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2018 at 5:29 PM, kontemax said:

Well, I've seen the entire manual and my opinion is that Tamiya lost another occasion with this rerelease of the Super Astute.
Except for the TTC, I see always the same issues.
Tamiya modified the only part that didn't really needed to be modified, the slippery clutch.
I run the Super Astute for a while and the only problem with the TTC were the lack of pinion gears and the difficulties to the fine set up the clutch but anyway the part was good enough.
At the end the weak points of the model remains the same.
Who needs a 6 mm embossed rear plate if the A1 part still continue to break?
Other weak points?
- Rear arms mounts
- Rear Hubs.
- Rear shock tower.
- Front bulkhead.
- Flexible single sheet FRP chassis plate. No upperplate.
- 6 mm ball joint replaced with smaller ones.
- No adjustable turnbuckles.
- No CVDs.

Another issue: 730 brass bearings all around. Weight on suspension in abundance.

The gear differential works good.

Would I buy anyway this model if I would have the money and if I wouldn't have a Vintage Super Astute new in box?

Yes, for sure, cause a Super Astute is always a Super Astute.

I hope that Tamiya, or some thirty part brands, will release some hop up for this car.

Max

Valid points BUT. New plastic is new plastic and I bet it's stronger. Other than the rear arm mounts and maybe the front suspension mounts the rest of the parts you listed I never broke and I was a horrible racer. The plastic quality is now worlds better. Yes it stinks having to purchase pergu upgrades and a graphite chassis plate if you want it but that's half the fun! 

 

These cars until the EVO TF and Dyna Storm were never about all out performance. It was the enjoyment of the build, the quality of the parts (even if lacking in a few areas) and the beuty of the bodies. I'm stoked and building mine as an Astute, I can not wait!!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just hit the go button, I had pre ordered through RC Jazz, 

The price...….. $277.24 AUD, far cheaper than I was expecting:D which is approx. $205 US or 160 quid

It should be here in less than 2 weeks, now to pickup some spare front ends for my vintage  shelfer and vintage runner

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When will they release the spares for this? Would like a couple of sets of the ribs and spikes for the front of my DT02.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Well, I just hit the go button, I had pre ordered through RC Jazz, 

The price...….. $277.24 AUD, far cheaper than I was expecting:D which is approx. $205 US or 160 quid

It should be here in less than 2 weeks, now to pickup some spare front ends for my vintage  shelfer and vintage runner

Wow, that's a great price. I've not used RC Jazz before, will have to check them out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Butler said:

They don't say Tamiya Super Gripper on the side though. My DT02 is liveried like a Falcon and the tyre lettering is painted too, so they wont cut it. #purist

Fair enough! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW, Super Astute kits have hit E bay, all listings appear to be located in the UK, and all looking for approx twice what I paid out of Hong Kong once 10% GST is added, 

No front arms yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought mine from the UK, early release was a nice surprise. Anyone see the original one on ebay for £300, thats tempting too!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like someone else is making a Astute out of the Super Astute too. Good call. The Super Astute decals are a little to 90s for me, the chassis is brilliant though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if an Astute body set will be released next year...... a bit like the Avante 2001 body set that came out post Egress 2013.

Alternatively, Tamiya may eventually knock out an Astute re-release that is essentially the Super Astute with (Astute box art, stickers, yellow shocks, and the original black light weight wheels and tyres (pin spike front / hybrid spike rear).  Retain the Super Astute TTC and lower suspension arms.

I'm sure a few of you have thought about this already.  Who's willing to bet they take the first option.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been picking parts together at Seidel for gearbox only, already at 140€ and thats only 90% of the parts.

Think the Monster chassis will have to wait a little bit longer for an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite glamourous, that one :wub: Great to see the presentation is nicer than the usual kit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now