ernieks

That‘s what TC is all about

I met a lot of nice people over the years here on TC, that helped me with a lot of knowledge and sometimes with little and somtimes big bits and bops. That‘s what it‘s all about. To meet all these nice people all over the world who are so helpfull and selfless makes the Tamiya hobby great! Never forget and hope to return the favour one day.

I really appreciate all that you all have done for me.

But this time I wanted to say a special thank you to a very nice and gentle guy with extraordinary skills. I never would‘ve been able to finish this thing to that high level.

A special thank you to jonboy1. You did an amazing job, I enjoyed the whole communication, and I really appreciate your work, especially realizing my special wishes and your special additions.

If anybody needs a body finished to a high level, call jonboy1.😀👍🏼 He‘s absolutely fair and it‘s a pleasure to write with that guy.

Had to say that, and now present the body I received back today. Hopefully finished on a M-05 Pro Ver. II on gold Tamtech BBS wheels (hex adaptor problem to be solved) soon.

ernieks

F76F098B-E354-414A-9097-A459E412BF0C.jpeg

• Like 22

Is that a genuine Tamiya shell? The mould lines and details on it look really sharp. I'm sure I remember seeing a picture of a real Mk1 Golf racing in colours similar to that. I'll have to try and find it now.

13 hours ago, ernieks said:

I met a lot of nice people over the years here on TC, that helped me with a lot of knowledge and sometimes with little and somtimes big bits and bops. That‘s what it‘s all about. To meet all these nice people all over the world who are so helpfull and selfless makes the Tamiya hobby great! Never forget and hope to return the favour one day.

I really appreciate all that you all have done for me.

But this time I wanted to say a special thank you to a very nice and gentle guy with extraordinary skills. I never would‘ve been able to finish this thing to that high level.

A special thank you to jonboy1. You did an amazing job, I enjoyed the whole communication, and I really appreciate your work, especially realizing my special wishes and your special additions.

If anybody needs a body finished to a high level, call jonboy1.😀👍🏼 He‘s absolutely fair and it‘s a pleasure to write with that guy.

Had to say that, and now present the body I received back today. Hopefully finished on a M-05 Pro Ver. II on gold Tamtech BBS wheels (hex adaptor problem to be solved) soon.

ernieks

F76F098B-E354-414A-9097-A459E412BF0C.jpeg

Thank you so much for your very kind words @ernieks I am totally delighted you are happy with the Golf, that's what makes it all worthwhile.

I completely agree with you about how great so many people here are - I've made several good friends through here and find the camaraderie amongst everyone brilliant.

It has been a pleasure to chat with you and get to know you while I got this painted, and you have proved a very patient chap as it did end up taking quite a bit longer than expected (I blame @Peter_B for his Monster Beetle :P) but again, it has been great.

Please post up pictures of it finished - I know I would love to see it all done, and I'm sure many others would too! 

• Like 2

Oh, I see what I've done here. I have seen a picture of the real car which Tamiya based their 84316 kit on, without having seen the 84316 kit. Sorry all. I'll get me coat.
90184030_KameiGolf.thumb.jpg.480a59472c49ce129205f62fbadccc60.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got the chassis finished, widened the center holes of the Tamtech wheels.

But I need to work out a solution to get the wheels more out, the hex adapters work fine but are too small.

But I love the look so far. Little work here and there and it will look great!

ernieks

7A21DBD5-5209-4A0B-9231-BEB03D27FDC1.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

I must be daft but where do you fit these blue wheel spacers to push the wheel out?

There are ofcourse wider hex’s (4-12mm wise etc) to use as you know Ernieks but the trouble is you shorten the axle thread to secure the wheel lock nut on if you go too wide.

There are low profile wheel nuts out there that might also help like these

https://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/lumenier-m4-black-aluminum-low-profile-lock-nut-set-of-4-ccw

Another option is buying wider offset wheels but you already have your chosen wheels on there already.

I did see some similar variable offset wheels from MST in a similar design (I think that are adjustable from 3,5,7 and 9mm)

https://www.asiatees.com/display?id=123619&brand=MST&model=All

They sit between the wheel hub (I think, from memory) and the hex so perhaps not right for this implementation? It does reduce the amount of hex in contact with the wheel.

They also have an effect on the amount of thread available for the lock nut.

Those low profile nuts would help if that is the case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ernieks said:

Don‘t know if they fit the 10mm hexes as they are for the standard 12mm ones!? Maybe the outer diameter will be too big!?

ernieks

I found another site which shows the OD as 11.5mm so too big for these wheels, sorry.

The theory holds though if you can find the right size?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/6-5mm-Copper-Sealing-Washers-Crushplug/dp/B07446NKZG

Out of interest, how long is the threaded axle sticking out from the hub?

image.png.691f3ed3cd0fa5a5a53979d2583128a2.png

it looks to be about 15mm?

also, do you know what the distance is from the back of the hex on the inside of the wheel to the bearing face on the hub for your ideal setup?

Bought these :

Exotek hex adaptors

They are good fitment, so I think 6mm thickness will be good. 

But now I got the problem that I can‘t fix the grub screws, seems they are not metric.

But I am nearly there. Hexes with 6 or 7mm seem to work.

It seems the photo looks a bit wrong, the axles are not that long.

ernieks

ah ok. I was just thinking it might be possible to print up some adaptors to get you to the offset you wanted, like this:

image.thumb.png.bfbf01020cf81bb4bf09f6eba07d3ad9.png

and just use a M4 hex head bolt to act as a new stub axle. Obviously the head of the bolt would have to be clear of the end of the existing axle, so it might push the wheel out too far.

This thing looks great!👍🏼

Where can I get it?

If the round part with the slot got 3mm and the hex part 4mm, so total 7mm, everything would be a perfect match! And the slot should be all the 3mm deep.

Oh, and I would need a round 5mm hole in the round slotted part and 4mm in the hex part.

And it would be so perfect.

ernieks

On 8/23/2018 at 10:24 AM, Yalson said:

Oh, I see what I've done here. I have seen a picture of the real car which Tamiya based their 84316 kit on, without having seen the 84316 kit. Sorry all. I'll get me coat.
90184030_KameiGolf.thumb.jpg.480a59472c49ce129205f62fbadccc60.jpg

Essen Motor Show? Possibly a photo i took and posted on here a few years ago?

1 hour ago, Kevin_Mc said:

Essen Motor Show? Possibly a photo i took and posted on here a few years ago?

I got it from Google images. It might well be yours, and apologies for not crediting you if it was.

You should pick up a set of Kawadas. They come in m-size with 12mm hex and even a wide version. Both are easy to find on eBay and would look great with that body.

You can paint he  center spokes with a gold Pilot paint marker. I have the  touring car size on one of my GT2s. The pic attached however shows Vaterra wheels with painted centers which are very similar.

C8333493-B7F4-4B83-8E99-1DFB21280E1C.jpeg

64E8BB71-E906-4B1E-96EF-9B81117C305C.jpeg

Have you seen the Junfac / Gmade wheel wideners that use Barrel nuts - Fusion sell them - infact I have bought them for my 3 speed build J51032 13mm offset  & J51033 19mm offset.

22 hours ago, Yalson said:

I got it from Google images. It might well be yours, and apologies for not crediting you if it was.

No, it’s not a problem - if it was mine’s i’m happy for it to be used, it just seems so familiar.

I think jonboy1 and I are near a perfect solution.

One more time jonboy1 acted as a extremly nice and gentle guy.

Really appreciate his big help on my whole golf project.

Maybe I should add a sticker „presented by jonboy1“ to it.

Thank you very much!

ernieks

Beautiful paint work! I can't wait to see the solution you come up with for the wheel width. Seeing this project is making me want to dig my M chassis car out of the garage!

Jonboy1 got a CAD for the wheel adaptors, and first test fit was just perfect. The rest of the axle just enough for the wheel nut to tighten, rims sit the widest option within the arches, front just perfect, rear maybe one or two milimeter in, but that‘s the maximum of the axle.

Think Jonboy1 will show his solution here, and make them available at Shapeways.

Great thank you to Jonboy1, a very nice and helpful guy, everytime a pleasure to write with him.

ernieks

• Thanks 1