waterbok

Another WR02 - Tamiya 58662 Comical Grasshopper WR-02CB

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, IBIFTKH said:

Sounds interesting :) 

Thinking about it, quite a lot interesting. As Mokei said, it sounds like they've fitted new or different suspension arms and from the picture it looks like a new bumper, battery cover and possibly some sort of nerf bar. Plus new wheels and tyres. Nice to see they're not just plonking a body on a bog-standard WR-02 but they're still investing in development, even if it is just cosmetic parts. More options for us to customise existing models too.

Hopefully this is the first in a series of 'comical' models (I reckon a Jenny-Mo-style Sand Scorcher has to be on the cards).

Suspension arms indeed don't seem to be TL01-type judging by the illsustration below (photo of regular WR-02 for comparison), although I can't possibly understand what the benefit of replacing them with something else should be for the WR-02CB, especially so as hubs/uprights clearly seems to be of the TL01-type still. If the drawing is correct, the suspension arms on the WR-02CB to some extent seem to resemble the TG10/TB01 suspension arms.

Unbenannt.png

dadfasf.png

4 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Suspension arms indeed don't seem to be TL01-type judging by the illsustration below (photo of regular WR-02 for comparison), although I can't possibly understand what the benefit of replacing them with something else should be for the WR-02CB, especially so as hubs/uprights clearly seems to be of the TL01-type still. If the drawing is correct, the suspension arms on the WR-02CB to some extent seem to resemble the TG10/TB01 suspension arms.

Unbenannt.png

Great new pics Mokei.

Good news as far as I'm concerned on the front hubs, looks like they will definitely be hex fitment rather than bearing. There's no mention of 2 piece wheels in the latest, I really hope they are beadlock but there are no visible screws unless they are on the rear of the wheel. For brushless applications beadlock are fantastic, in fact gluing tyres is just horrible, beadlock are the way forward, or backward as the case may be ;), either way, I'm really hoping they are beadlockers. I wonder if they have gone with 2.2" rims or if they are the odd 2" lunchbox/WW size? 

Loving the look of this thing, the exhaust are great, lots of new options for us fans of mongrel WR/WT/GF series chassis. :)

• Like 1

I like it! Hope they do a Super Champ version in the figure. 

• Like 2

At first I really wasn't bothered about this. Another ridiculous sideshow. Now I have seen the real thing it does look quite cool. Be interesting to see what people do with them.

2 hours ago, Cesco said:

I think Super Champ is very likely.  Tamiya seldom makes a commitment of making a new set of tires.  (I do love those tires!)  Considering 37 cars with CC-01 chassis, I would be very surprised if this was the last of it.  Why, I can even see how they could turn this into Wild Willy!  :ph34r: 

In all seriousness, they can do; XR311, Cheetah, Rough Rider, Sand Scorcher, Holiday Buggy, Sand Rover (Kumamon version too), Super Champ --skipping Wild Willy, Willy's Wheeler--, Subaru Brat, Frog, Hornet, FAV, Wild One, Fox, Falcon, Striker, Lunch Box, Midnight Pumpkin, Blackfoot (adding rear wheels to the front), Mini Cooper, Hummer, FIAT Abarth 1000, Lancia delta, Unimog 406, heck even F16 and F18 jets in egg-plane versions, etc. 

Tamiya can release 25 cars over 25 year period.  Tamiya is set until the year 2043.  By then, Mr. Tamiya would likely be gone.  I'll be like 70... and maybe I would finally have the flying car.  (Remember the 60's prediction of us driving flying cars by the year 2000?  That was 18 years ago!  Don't they look like the middle-aged Hardy Boys flying off to solve yet another mystery?)  

HCzzXMw.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Juggular said:

In all seriousness, they can do; XR311, Cheetah, Rough Rider, Sand Scorcher, Holiday Buggy, Sand Rover (Kumamon version too), Super Champ --skipping Wild Willy, Willy's Wheeler--, Subaru Brat, Frog, Hornet, FAV, Wild One, Fox, Falcon, Striker, Lunch Box, Midnight Pumpkin, Blackfoot (adding rear wheels to the front), Mini Cooper, Hummer, FIAT Abarth 1000, Lancia delta, Unimog 406, heck even F16 and F18 jets in egg-plane versions, etc. 

Wow, that’s a whole new category of comical buggies. 

Brace yourself 😎. I think this might be the next wave for newcomers. These buggies are too cute to be ignored 🤩

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Juggular said:

Don't they look like the middle-aged Hardy Boys flying off to solve yet another mystery?)  

I'm pretty sure Frank is getting a clue...

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Cesco said:

I have been building a couple of GF01 cars for my kids and really love those chassis. I have recently placed my Super Champ / Fighting Buggy body on one of the chassis and been working out how to go about the cut. I think it would work really well, so I think I may wait to see if Mr T releases a proper one. 

Am also very interested in seeing those wheels done in other colours and finding out whether there are some good fat paddles for the rear.

Really excited about this car. It has captured my imagination.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 4:41 PM, waterbok said:

Are those arms one piece?

TG10/TB01 are twopiece and quite similar to the TL01 arms. They are so similar that I don't think Tamiya had cared to make new arms for the TG01/TB01 with their current recycle-strategy.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2018 at 2:28 PM, TwistedxSlayer said:

They are TB01/TG10 arms

Dont't think so.  Not quite unlike in design, but with two attachment points for the dampers, unlike the TG10/TB01 arms:

new1.jpg new2.jpg

new3.jpg

TG10/TB01 arms:  tamiya-50814-b-teile-quertraeger-vorne-tb01-tg10_p1.jpg    tamiya-50815-b-teile-quertraeger-hinten-tb01-tg10_p1.jpg

Ha - just saw this on Facebook (and knew there would already be a thread on here)... seems the WR-02 chassis will never die!

What an inspired idea to make short versions of classic Tamiya models and put them on a wheelie chassis!

i-MdtRxB7-L.jpg

photo. You saw it here first ;o)

I too predict at the very least a Sand Scorcher version in the future... I always planned to chop a Sand Rover (and quite possibly a Holiday Buggy too) at one point, but will wait and see now - it is a shame that Tamiya seem to be using Lexan more and more for body-shells these days - although I guess it makes these sort of 'fun' cars a little more affordable?

Jx

• Like 2

Needless to say, I will be watching your projects in the future ;)

But that reminds me:

On 8/26/2018 at 4:40 PM, Nitomor said:

Looks a bit like these;

hqdefault.jpg

... Doesn't that shell kind of look like... no, could it be...?

Tamiya-Limited-Edition-Top-Force-2017-64

I did not know we needed a Comical Top Force - or that I needed one, anyway - YET HERE WE ARE! Best to stick it on the GF-01 ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kyosho1 said:

3rd party comical body is actually available in Japan

I knew it was a Chevron Models offering - I considered one for my WR-02, but now it seems I have no WR-02 to put one on...

Pictures are from TamiyaBlog. Rims are new design.

The green add on “wheelcap” looks like a bolt-on accessory which can be interchanged with future optional designs. 

Exciting times ahead 😄

AF013B06-275F-4BC5-87D2-18C61CE23349.jpeg

1C6CAC64-68B5-4C8A-8462-63500AAC5416.jpeg

• Like 5

Ooh, I love that wheel cap idea.  Looks like some creative paintwork could replicate a set of brake rotors behind the spokes too...

• Like 2