waterbok

Another WR02 - Tamiya 58662 Comical Grasshopper WR-02CB

am I right with the numbers on the tires the rims are approx 48mm OD and 55 wide?

So not a fit for vintage Willy....

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it's now on TamiyaUSA.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/-road-buggies/rc-comical-grasshopper/

• 1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit. Length: 356mm, width: 244mm. Wheelbase: 170mm. 
• Superb performance both on- and off-road. 
• Durable monocoque centerpiece and inline battery pack position, 4-wheel double wishbone suspension and 2-piece steering tie-rod set up. 
• Polycarbonate body. 
• Sticker design based on the original Grasshopper. 
• Includes headlight cases, allowing installation of separately sold 5mm LEDs. They use separate polycarbonate lens components. 
• Driver figure included. 
• Suspension arms feature multiple damper attachment holes for easily adjustable performance. 
• New 2-piece wheels molded in durable ABS. 
• New tire design, with rib pattern front and block pattern rear. 
• Oil-filled CVA Mini shock units provide superb cushioning, even on rough off-road surfaces. 
• Includes Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC (electronic speed control) Capable of running sensor brushless motors and brushed motors alike. (21.5 Turn BL motor limit) (23 Turn brushed motor limit) 
• Includes 540-type brushed motor. 
• Requires: 2-channel radio, steering servo, 7.2-volt battery pack & charger, and Tamiya PS/TS paint. NOTE: Must use round type battery pack. Square shaped batteries will not fit battery compartment. 

• Like 2

Thank you, Kingfisher!  

That does give us proper pictures, finally!   

CQJfcm7.jpg

2oVOUIP.jpg

bBnG8mI.jpg

• Like 9

I saw this on pre order at modelsport today. At first I thought what is this??? :wacko: . But now I'm thinking I want one. :lol:.

Now a bunch of these racing around a track would be fun.

Video of them in action.  I might wait for a Comical Hornet, but these look like fun.

• Like 6

Cool Vid and making, reminds me of the good old promotion vids from back then, with slow-motion beach Action:rolleyes:. Only thing missing is the voice of our good old friend  saying "Thhhamia -First in Qualiddy  arrround the wooorld ! ":D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched that video earlier today.
At times they look, bouncy bouncy bouncy!
Also they look like fun and I'm sure the 'cute' strategy/look will go down well in Japan.

Seems a bit of a no-brainer to me. Existing chassis with a few changes, a lexan body, existing willy figure, did those wheels exist before? Anyway, not too much effort production wise and boom, there's your new product. And it's along the lines of what (some) of the customer base already want.

• Like 1

Can’t wait for this kit to be released !

Awesome idea !

22 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

....they look, bouncy bouncy bouncy! Also they look like fun......

When you have a Wild Willy in them, it’s expected 🤣🤣🤣 

• Like 1

Really love this! Squashed/super deformed versions of Tamiya character cars is a dream come true for me. Hope it does well and many more follow!

Any more details or photos of those wheels?

I have a GF01 chassis that I prefer to the WR02 and would love to get this body and the wheels for it.

Looking at the photos, I cannot see any bearings behind the nut on the front wheels, so have to guess that the fronts are hex fittings, in which case they will bolt straight onto the GF01 chassis. Does anybody know for sure? 

am I the only one looking at the video and thinking that body would look cool with the roof chopped off to make it an open-top..?

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

am I the only one looking at the video and thinking that body would look cool with the roof chopped off to make it an open-top..?

Don't worry it will be in due time.  :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, njmlondon said:

Any more details or photos of those wheels?

I have a GF01 chassis that I prefer to the WR02 and would love to get this body and the wheels for it.

Looking at the photos, I cannot see any bearings behind the nut on the front wheels, so have to guess that the fronts are hex fittings, in which case they will bolt straight onto the GF01 chassis. Does anybody know for sure? 

Don't know for sure, but looking at the photos and drawing it looks like it uses the TL01/GF01 front knuckles so you would assume they would use a hex fitting.

Looks more like front and rear rims are the same, so both with hex.

Anyone know how easy it would be to convert this to 4wd?

I have a gf-01 (geared way down, epa set low) and that type of chassis is ideal for small children. 

This would be even better if I could convert it over. 

2 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Anyone know how easy it would be to convert this to 4wd?

Anything's possible. Edit2Add: If you can make a lunchbox do 50mph lol , you can do anything. :)  :)

This is the WR02 gearbox same as WR02, 

pc0EJOj.jpg

Isn't the GF01 the same wheelbase as the WR02?

9 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Anything's possible. Edit2Add: If you can make a lunchbox do 50mph lol , you can do anything.

Ha! I was not worried about whether I could do it... as you note anything is possible. I just wanted to know whether the normal "stock" way of making this chassis into a 4wd model would require a 2nd motor... Your pic seems to indicate that it would.

I would prefer to stick to one motor for this build, as it intended for a small child and I want something extremely simple (yet still 4wd).

I might just try to get this body and toss it onto a GF-01, as that chassis is ideal.

Yes. I think the only stock way would be to use the GF01. Until tamiya copy and improve my WR02 gearbox cradle so they can be easily joined together.