waterbok

Another WR02 - Tamiya 58662 Comical Grasshopper WR-02CB

Wolfdog, I thought you were running three motors?? So while the gearboxes are in a single chassis (which is very cool!) they are not mechanically linked, correct?

@smirk-racing Yes I am running 3, and they are separate, only linked through a "Y" to the ESC's. The recent re-design of the chassis (I know it's rough. lol ) would allow me to run 1-4 motors just by changing the outer rails. 

Was thinking about a front motor, front drive trike, or 3 axles joined in a triangle(will climb anything?).

But I have to break the 6x6 a few more times first. lol

• Like 1

Just saw the listing on Tamico.  Release date 01.11. 

I was excited until I saw the price :(  

seems a bit steep...

12 hours ago, gt6++ said:

Just saw the listing on Tamico.  Release date 01.11. 

I was excited until I saw the price :(  

seems a bit steep...

Yeah same price as the king yellow with prepainted body. <_<

Manual available to download from tamiyausa.com !!!!!!

I didn't see those photos.  Thanks for posting!  

Wild Willy 2 was the first WR02.  It came out in 1999 (right when you stepped away from RC). 

I think Willy Willy 2 and Wild Dagger uses the same gears inside.  They both came out at the same time.  So Tamiya might have thought, "let's make a 4WD WT01, and let's call the stubby 2WD version WR02."  

Then the 4WD version was GF01. GF06 is the latest (Edit: I keep thinking GF06, but taffer is correct. it's G6-01.  6WD Konghead, Yellow king and Dynahead).  

I wonder if there would be GF08...(or G8-01)

N9odR4s.jpg

i6QnoF1.jpg

[4WD version simply added the same gears forward]

tERAjeV.jpg

[6WD  G6-01]

1hFhxq1.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, PoormanRC said:

OK!! I was just confusing WR and GF!! :o:P  I've got a bunch to learn, while I'm RElearning! 

@Kingfisher, I'd LOVE to find one of those Lexan Jimny Bodies. That's what my bare CW-01 Chassis NEEDS!!

I think the wheelbase is too short on the Jimny body for the CW-01. 

Look how stretched the wheelbase of the Lunchbox is compared to the Jimny:

28924686571_7befb399f7_b.jpg

• Like 1

I like the tires. I'm absolutely surprised Tamiya would come with anything rightfully new. Anybody knows what's their size?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mongoose1983 said:

I like the tires. I'm absolutely surprised Tamiya would come with anything rightfully new. Anybody knows what's their size?

Yeah, Tamiya is pretty stingy with new tires. 

Diameter looks about the same.  But maybe a bit narrower?  Lunchbox/WW2 tires are 105mm x 65mm.  So the rear tires might be something like 105mm x 55mm?    

• Like 1

Gf-06 is actually g6-01!

Manual for comical grasshopper is online at tamiyausa.com 

• Thanks 1

The drive shaft(51216) length is slightly longer than WR02's, and is the same length as CC01's.

Those longer arm components could be used for former related chassis, maybe including WR01 and WT01 trucks.

• Like 1

Interresting prototype and use of materials, are those 54409 stepscrews on the upperarms? 

58662_15.jpg

15 hours ago, waterbok said:

Interresting prototype and use of materials, are those 54409 stepscrews on the upperarms? 

58662_15.jpg

Looks like it, and they would be a valid 3x14mm replacement for the self tappers (50582) they tend to include. 

Not seeing a whole lot of videos of it so far but here's some decent action.

As I anticipated, despite being a novelty version of the original, it actually has better off road manners due to the more sophisticated chassis although not so much to spoil the fun! 

I'm still not sure if I would buy one but I like it. I might wait and see what other comical versions come out. A lunchbox would be nice!

45 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Not seeing a whole lot of videos of it so far but here's some decent action.

As I anticipated, despite being a novelty version of the original, it actually has better off road manners due to the more sophisticated chassis although not so much to spoil the fun! 

I'm still not sure if I would buy one but I like it. I might wait and see what other comical versions come out. A lunchbox would be nice!

I would buy a Lunchbox. I bet Frog or Hornet is next

33 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I would buy a Lunchbox. I bet Frog or Hornet is next

You sure you want a lunchbox? 🤗

Lunchbox does not have 4x independent suspension. 

Lunchbox is in 1/12 scale.

Lunchbox has no driver.

Lunchbox does not have coilover oil filled damper shocks. 

On 10/13/2018 at 5:03 AM, mongoose1983 said:

These have been out for a while now, can anyone confirm the tyre size? I can't find anything online.

It appears the front and rear wheels are the same size however, so I guess the tyres bulge more on the back and are more stretched (narrower) over the front?

Be great if someone could confirm! I want to know if you can use these tyres on another model.

• Like 1

According to RCmart:

Front tires #54865 (SOFT), Diameter 95mm, Width 46mm.

Rear tires #54866 (SOFT), Diameter 98mm, Width 56mm.

1 hour ago, mike in pa said:

Are the comicals still being made or what ever is out there was from the production run?

Is there a way to know?

I go to "Tamiyausa" and see available to order: "Grasshopper" . . "Avante" . . ."Hornet" . . ."Frog"

But when i go to tower hobbies (Horizon Hobby) it shows "Discontinued" for the grasshopper. Sooo . . .maybe the grasshopper is on its way out, everything else seems fairly readily available. 

Which one are you looking at picking up? These short wheelbase big wheel RC's are quite fun to drive around, even on a stock silver can. Just my .02.

I think Tamiya ran a certain batch and discontinued production.  I am sure if demand is high enough they will run it again, but I think the real attractiveness comes when they become hard to find.

I bought 3 of each (Frog, Hornet, GH) and built 1 set.  I also have one Avante and will get the upcoming Hotshot as well, but will keep these NIB for 20yrs.

1 hour ago, Greanie said:

Is there a way to know?

I go to "Tamiyausa" and see available to order: "Grasshopper" . . "Avante" . . ."Hornet" . . ."Frog"

But when i go to tower hobbies (Horizon Hobby) it shows "Discontinued" for the grasshopper. Sooo . . .maybe the grasshopper is on its way out, everything else seems fairly readily available. 

Which one are you looking at picking up? These short wheelbase big wheel RC's are quite fun to drive around, even on a stock silver can. Just my .02.

I have the frog and it's fun. I was thinking of picking up the grasshopper to go with it.

• Like 1