Granddad Stinky

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!

1 hour ago, Kingfisher said:

I'll be exploring other ideas or just finding wheels with bearings.

I recon you could get most of the 2wd , bearing hex fronts to fit, but you'll need the yokes etc. If I get a chance, I'll check the Schumacher cougar (kf2) up against the neo fighter, seem to be quite a few Schumacher spares on ebay.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 7:51 AM, Wooders28 said:

One way was using parts from kyosho's RB5.

Are these the same parts you're using?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-UM505B-Front-Knuckle-C-Hub-Set-Ultima-RT5-SC-DB-RB5/382270362133?epid=1203547644&hash=item590116d215:g:A8MAAOSwiwVWS3oM

Also, what axle do you have running through them? Kyosho or a Tamiya freewheel axle?

8 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Are these the same parts you're using?

Well, I've a full RB5, but they are the part numbers , yes.

9 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

what axle do you have running through them?

The part number for the shaft is UM569 and bearings are BRG001TS (although cheaper bearings should be avaialble) 

I'd scan eBay for 2wd 12mm hex front ends, a Schumacher cougar one went for £9 the other day.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Well, I've a full RB5, but they are the part numbers , yes.

The part number for the shaft is UM569 and bearings are BRG001TS (although cheaper bearings should be avaialble) 

I'd scan eBay for 2wd 12mm hex front ends, a Schumacher cougar one went for £9 the other day.

I already ordered the Kyosho parts that I linked too. For the axles, I found part number UM506 which is listed as "Front Wheel Shaft (RB5)".

The part number for the bearings help. Now I can compare to all of the extra bearings I have for my Tamiya's to see if I have the same size. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

I found part number UM506 which is listed as "Front Wheel Shaft (RB5)".

That's a shaft with a drilled hole for a pin and hex, UM569 has a machined hex as part of the shaft.

52 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

I have for my Tamiya's to see if I have the same size.

It's good to have a selection pack to fall back on 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

That's a shaft with a drilled hole for a pin and hex, UM569 has a machined hex as part of the shaft.

It's good to have a selection pack to fall back on 😂

Seems like either one would work, right? With UM506, it'll be just like on the rear. I have plenty of spare hexes. What size hex does UM569 have? 12mm? 

I got plenty of spare bearings. Accidentally bought 3 different sets twice, forgetting that I had already gotten them months before. :lol:

• Haha 1

I for one, enjoy the crazy DIY stuff in particular. So, yeah. Bye.

Blast some Disaster Area, and don't forget your towel.

With UM506, it'll be just like on the rear.

Yes / No, the hex's are alot thinner, think they are 6-7mm (?) on the rear, front are only 2-3mm.

What size hex does UM569 have? 12mm? 

Yeah, they are 12mm.

I've just come back. Don't go grandad! I'll check over the builds that you have done. I discovered Tamiya club a few years back. Built a few things then moved onto just making my own stuff up using parts from here and there, mainly crawlers/scalers like the scx10 style trucks. I've come back now. I want to build some more tamiya and I really like the enthusiasm on here. 

I think you could move on to other stuff and still pop on here which would be great with the experience you have. I think when you're a tc member we become boomerangs and always come back again. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Yes / No, the hex's are alot thinner, think they are 6-7mm (?) on the rear, front are only 2-3mm.

Yeah, they are 12mm.

So could I use UM506 with a tamiya hex from something like a M05 or TT02? I know, these are questions that I could easily answer myself once I get the parts. :wacko:

So could I use UM506 with a tamiya hex from something like a M05 or TT02?

No idea I'm afraid , I've not got an m05 or a tt02, my modern 2wd's have the hex as part of the shaft.

14 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

it'll be just like on the rear. I have plenty of spare hexes. 

The fronts of the kf2 are 1mm and the wheels are a 2mm recess.

2018-09-18_02-46-34

• Thanks 1

Anybody know where we can hunt down this legend on Facebook or Instagram?
I'm pretty gutted about PhotoBucket and Imger? deleting all the old images.
I'm building a Formula Racer and wanted to see Grandad Stinky's Dual Ridge again.
I saw it years ago but wanted a refresh. I have looked at Alex Kyriaks Formula Neo but wanted to see other takes.

I don’t think it’s Photobucket or Imgur that deleted the photos, I think Grandad Stinky went through and deleted his old posts one by one. 

I think @Wooders28 has him on Facebook still

btw @Wooders28, my phone has been knackered for a full week now but i’ve been meaning to message you to see how things are. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 3:40 AM, Metallic said:

Anybody know where we can hunt down this legend on Facebook or Instagram?

He set up a DT page on Facebook, it's a private page, so may need to wait to be okayed.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/143755283082972?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

Another page that may be of interest (I assist with, so slightly bias...🙄) , he's active on there, and a page for various projects

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=2039526652983358&ref=content_filter

2 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

been meaning to message you to see how things are. 

Usual, stress free!

😂😂, who am i kidding, moved house last week, walked in, and they've taken pretty much everything,  all the white goods gone,  and even wires hanging out the ceiling where the lights used to be...😳

Most of my RC's are at the back of the full, 40ft storage container, poor planning , so cant even have a quick blast in the garden at the new gaff🤦‍♂️

• Sad 1

On 9/25/2020 at 6:04 AM, Wooders28 said:

He set up a DT page on Facebook, it's a private page, so may need to wait to be okayed.

Another page that may be of interest (I assist with, so slightly bias...🙄) , he's active on there, and a page for various projects

Thank you Wooders. I was a member of DT page and have sent request for Basement, sounds like a nice small crew. I'm living in Korea so online friends only. It's a shame Grandad left and if he deleted his content.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Metallic said:

I was a member of DT page and have sent request for Basement

The DT page is quite good, but I've not done anything with my DT03 (or anything tbh) for a while.

The RC Basement page was born after getting abuse for putting brushless motors in Tamiyas, (it was someone else who set the page up, but asked me to help along), and was ,Modified & Brushless ,originally but found that most of us has other RC's, so renamed and includes anything RC now. 👍

• Thanks 1