Jason1145

Very very cheap brushless ESC/Motor/Programme Card on EBay

I just pulled the trigger on one of these, initially it seems too good to be true, a 60a ESC, 3900kv Motor and a Programme Card all for only £11.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-60A-ESC-10T-KV3930-Brushless-Motor-LED-Program-Card-For-1-10-RC-Car/332707222418?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=541837332991&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&redirect=mobile

Edit - ignor as my IPhone app did not even show out of stock options so I didn’t see all the options and trusted the Ebay title sorry :(

Out of stock for ESC + motor and esc + motor + card, just the motor left for £11.99 now.

How do you match an ESC to a brushless motor? brushed you just go y the turn limit ? I have a 3050Kv motor that I want to get an ESC for, but don't know how to match one up (non sensored, 3 wire connection)

• Thanks 1

**** you’re right, on my iPhone Ebay app it only showed motor but didn’t show the other two options at all so I thought it was all 3 as per the title :(

As for your query and finding a suitable esc for your 3050kv sensorless Motor for me it modtky depends what battery you will use, 2s or 3s lipo?

If using 2s lipo you could probably get away with a 45a esc, but personally I would use something this 60a... I’ve a few of these ( atleast 6) running 3000kv through to 5200kv motors on 2s with no issues ( all Tamiya’s - mixed 2wd buggies like Striker and and M Chassis cars through to a 4wd TL-01B)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60A-Waterproof-Brushless-ESC-Electric-Speed-Controller-with-5-8V-3A-BEC-for-R8J3/282911856217?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&redirect=mobile

for 3s I’d go up to atleast 80a and probably safer at 100a or even 120a if budget allows... depends if you like to stick to brand names or go budget.

This is just a rough guide it also depends what RC you are using it in, a big heavy Truck or an on road touring car etc.

£12 is still pretty cheap for a motor, so I wouldn't worry too much - I wonder how much the full setup is when he has them..

Thanks for the explanation, never occurred to me that it would be reliant on the battery, but makes sense. I actually only have nimh at the moment as they are easier to handle. Thanks for that link, for £9 I might give one of those a go. Its probably going to go in a DF02 buggy as that has a weak motor, but I have a TT-01 and a TL-01 it could go in too.

I do have the esc for the motor, but it has a drag brake function which stops the motor dead when you release the throttle which results in a quite alarming crack sound as the gearbox locks up, why Absima made it like that I have no idea and seemingly there is no way to program it, hence replacing the esc with something else. I only bought it because I was curious about brushless stuff - it was all about modifieds that you could alter timing on in my day!

Pity about the drag brake being on the Absima esc, not had one before... is there a set button on the on/off switch? Sometimes esc’s can be programmed via these set buttons thus negating the need for a programme card.

Yes those 60a £9 esc’s are very good value for money, and waterproof too.

I cancelled that purchase via Ebay and got my refund so all is good, if they were 540 motors then ok, but they were only smaller 380 motors with hestsink fins to make them out to 540 size.

Good luck in your quest for a working combo, I’ve given up with Nimh tech as my 2 year old Tornado 3300Nimh Battery never gives me more than 15-20 mins run time when I’d expect 30 mins!

These appear to be similar to the Leopard units which are similar money. 

Performance wise I found these setups was about "half" the performance of a hobbywing sensorless setup of the same KV and A Rating. 

They are great on M Chassis, ok ish on a DT02/03.. Terribly slow on anything big and heavy or 4wd. 

Even still, represent decent value for money. 

On 8/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, Mark_C said:

Out of stock for ESC + motor and esc + motor + card, just the motor left for £11.99 now.

How do you match an ESC to a brushless motor? brushed you just go y the turn limit ? I have a 3050Kv motor that I want to get an ESC for, but don't know how to match one up (non sensored, 3 wire connection)

Brushless ESCs are just like brushed, there will be a turn limit, and sometimes a motor size for the number of turns. You have to remember it is the motor that draws the energy from the battery through the ESC, not the battery pushing energy to the motor.

The motor you pick will determine how much power the ESC will have to provide. To get the maximum performance, you would first match the ESC specs to a motor, and then look at the ESC amp rating for continuous and burst to determine the right battery to hook up to the thing.

The number of cells has nothing to do with the amp rating you need. 

On 8/28/2018 at 10:45 PM, Jason1145 said:

Pity about the drag brake being on the Absima esc, not had one before... is there a set button on the on/off switch? Sometimes esc’s can be programmed via these set buttons thus negating the need for a programme card.

Yes those 60a £9 esc’s are very good value for money, and waterproof too.

I cancelled that purchase via Ebay and got my refund so all is good, if they were 540 motors then ok, but they were only smaller 380 motors with hestsink fins to make them out to 540 size.

Good luck in your quest for a working combo, I’ve given up with Nimh tech as my 2 year old Tornado 3300Nimh Battery never gives me more than 15-20 mins run time when I’d expect 30 mins!

Newer absima units have a set button, this one doesn't. 

My cars are for my niece and nephew to mess around with really,  20 mins is long enough and as they are used fairly infrequently nimh is ideal as I don't need to worry too much about storing/charging.

Getting a brushless setup was just curiosity really,  never had them when I was a lad!