Sign in to follow this  
Fabia130vRS

Airbrush compressor, DIY, help.

So, I have a car tire compressor,from a very god brand, they make these for motorcycles, newest Alfa Romeos etc.. brand FIX&GO AIRFLAT.

So it has a car valve connector and a 12V connector.

1.  how do I make it work on house electricity? from 12V to 230V

Then, my idea was, just take the airpressure valve from the airbrush and make a connector from car tire compressor to valve, and then adjust the pressure.

But I had to find out, these compressor take forever, so basically I need a air tank.

So I had a idea about the old school tire air tank.

Basically a tire full of air, you connect the pressure valve on the tire and paint I guess, the pressure would not hold for long only couple of minutes

And fill it from time to time, if I get the compressor working on 230V it can pump up to 6bars (about 80psi)

does anybody have a idea how to make a good compressor with air tank from a car tire compressor so that nothing blows up? :lol:

674431320_6_644x461_prodam-avtomoblniy-kompressor-s-germetikom-fixgo-airflat-fixgo-.jpg

If that compressor is slow a air tank might not solve your problem - if you use the air from the tank quicker than that thing can refill it you'll experience a pressure drop whilst spraying, which can cause all sorts of problems. One answer to this is have a big tank so you have plenty of air available, thus reducing the chance of significant pressure drop - the problem ith that is it could take a very long time to fill the tank.

What I'd suggest is you just buy the right thing for the job, if you search ebay for AS186 compressor you should fine entire kits that have compressor, tank, hose and an airbirush or two.  I have this setup : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Air-Compressor-Kit-Model-AS186K-With-Airbrush/232898202486?hash=item3639d08b76:g:pIkAAOSwC6xbR53s

Note how big the compressor is, it is easily able to maintain pressure in the tank. Appreciate that you are in Croatia,these are just chinese units that are being resold by people in the UK - if you can't find any sellers in your country I'd check other EU countries and see how much shipping is.

• Like 1

What about making a connector regulator valve, and take the air directly from the compressor hose. It should obtain pressure while pumping constantly air. It has a on off button so why spraying its pumping all the time air in the hose through a regulator valve. How many bars/psi do I need for airbrushing? So to know approx

At one time airbrush compressors were very expensive - out of reach for most hobbyists.

I first got an airbrush back in the 1970's - it was made by Humbrol and I think cost around £10 at the time, so quite expensive. To power it you had to buy cans of compressed air - which were expensive, and didn't last very long - so the airbrush did not get used much ! The alternative was the compressed air in a tyre method which a friend used but having to keep pumping up the tyre to maintain air pressure was a pain.

I'm just wondering - if you want to use the tyre method - if you used a steel wheel, would it be possible to get a 2nd tyre valve fitted to connect a small 12 volt compressor to and use the other tyre valve for your air supply to the airbrush ? At least you would have some continuous airflow and pressure replenishment without having to constantly disconnect your air supply and pump the tyre up again ? If pressure drops, just wait until it has built up again.     

Decent hobby type compressors are quite reasonable these days - got mine from Hobbycraft - nice Sparmax one for about £30 on clearance I think it was.  

Airbrushes really don't use much air, I run mine (old-school Paasche Model H external mix) with the regulator on my compressor set at around 20-30 psi, and it seems to use very little volume. I have a small compressor with a 3 gallon tank (around 11 liters) and it's plenty to do an RC car body in 2 coats (or 2 colors) without the compressor switching on if I start from a full tank (about 140 psi).

• Like 1