ThunderDragonCy

Short Course Trucks - Recommendations?

At a couple of the track days I have been to this year most of the guys have a Short Course Truck to run as well as Tamiyas. Slash, ECX and the like. Getting a bit of an itch for one but know very little about them. I have read up a bit and a lot of them look like big versions of race buggies, which is cool. I think I would prefer 2wd as it's more fun to drive. Not looking for new, but some recommendations would be good. Seen a couple of Associated SC10s for sale. Not really into getting a Traxxas unless someone can persuade me it's worth the money. Don't know anything about other brands. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone.

I’ve bought the Turnigy 2WD kit version from HobbyKing, it’s cheap to buy and a bit of a pain to build but is only a roller and it’s just as substantial looking as a 2WD Slash once built for the novice.

These are certainly fun to run compared to Tamiya buggies and M chassis cars, they can go over most park terrain and are very composed on tarmac too... the big bodies really protect the extremities from damage well minimising down time.

Mine has run well once built and I can’t conplain for the price. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-sct-2wd-1-10-brushless-short-course-truck-kit-upgraded-version.html?___store=en_us

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2312157-Turnigy-SCT-2WD-V2-Kit-Review

I know you said not new but.....

This gave me a taste for SCT and I splashed out on this Team Associated Trophy Rat  - but it’s the next price bracket up and not really old enough to pick up 2nd just yet it only came out earlier this year... other versions of the same chassis are available in true SCT style and a futuristic DB10 version too.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/300343/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_7Q6vCK3QIVSbXtCh03WwIvEAQYASABEgLBovD_BwE

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/301776/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsbe1kvGK3QIVY7HtCh3oCwPeEAQYASABEgIOf_D_BwE

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/300344/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqLBrPGK3QIVhpPtCh1MVgUTEAQYAiABEgKNe_D_BwE

• Thanks 1

@Jason1145 Thanks for the tips. Everything you mention about them as runners is what is making me interested. They look so much fun to drive when i saw my friends trucks at rhe trqck.

That Turnigy is a great tip. I much prefer kits to build and at that price it's a very tempting option. Another £50 on paint and a cheap brushless system and I have the rest. Something to think about. Thanks! 

Yes for £50 these days you can get a brushless system and 2.4g radio set and a can or two of paint... these big shells are twice the volume it seems as a TC or 3-4,times a dragon buggy body so be prepared.

The Turnigy shell that comes in the kit is very very thin, I saw this reported many times by others before I bought it but in till I used it myself and quickly saw splits at the rear behind the wheel wells now I know it’s true! 

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I’ve bought the Turnigy 2WD kit version from HobbyKing, it’s cheap to buy and a bit of a pain to build but is only a roller and it’s just as substantial looking as a 2WD Slash once built for the novice.

I've been keeping an eye on one of those, first spotted them at £60ish, not seen it that cheap since 😟

• Like 1

Get one of those SC10's you saw for sale, it will outperform that Trinity any day.

I had an ECX Torment and it was a fun truck to drive, but wasn't the most precise driver. I just got a Losi xxx-sct and it is a lot better driving wise, we'll see if it holds up. It has just been discontinued though, so at some point parts may be hard to get.

Talk to some of the racers at the track, they often sell their old models when a new one comes out and you can get them fairly cheap. I would prefer a used "better" truck than a new cheap one, but that's just my opinion. Short course trucks are very fun to drive, no doubts about that. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

I've been keeping an eye on one of those, first spotted them at £60ish, not seen it that cheap since 😟

Exchange rate. Priced in USD. Rate has been sliding for months. Take it from someone who imports products paying in dollars 😳

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Get one of those SC10's you saw for sale, it will outperform that Trinity any day.

I had an ECX Torment and it was a fun truck to drive, but wasn't the most precise driver. I just got a Losi xxx-sct and it is a lot better driving wise, we'll see if it holds up. It has just been discontinued though, so at some point parts may be hard to get.

Talk to some of the racers at the track, they often sell their old models when a new one comes out and you can get them fairly cheap. I would prefer a used "better" truck than a new cheap one, but that's just my opinion. Short course trucks are very fun to drive, no doubts about that. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the thoughts on that. I did think a 2nd hand SC10 might be good. Looks like a big version of my DN01. I shall see what is about.

They are definitely bigger than other 1/10 scale cars. Somehow a short course truck is bigger than a monster truck, someone messed up when they calculated scale size;) Being bigger, they can handle some big power, but need more room to stretch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah you will notice the better quality all round on a brand name truck, it’s much easier working on my Team Associated ProSC10 (Trophy Rat) than the Turnigy, I fear stripping screws all the time on the Turnigy as the plastics aren’t as well tapped/finished etc..

@Wooders28 yep I know the prices have crept up... they had that Hobbyking sale a while ago and they were low £60’s... but now over £80. I bought a ton of spares during the sale so I’m sure it’ll last forever for me... till I sell it anyway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Huanqi 727 slash clone that I got for about £100 and chucked a £30 brushless combo in. It's very well made and seems to drive pretty much identical to a friends genuine slash. The 1 or two niggles I have had are also Slash niggles, that's how faithful it is! 100% parts interchangeability.

Only thing is it's 4WD.

The second gen ECX stuff seems to get good reviews, especially for the price and often tops the pack for durability in group tests on sites like bigsquidRC etc.

To be fair, none of the cars mentioned so far seem to have any haters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are always run at my club but it isn't a well supported class, only ever 3 - 5 each day, compared to upto 15 for stock buggy. The guys who run them love them though and its a bit like nascar the way they bounce off each other. I think they are basically 8th buggies with a big body shell on them. 2wd run at 10th days and 4wd run at 8th days. 4wd are hard to find now, I think its just Tekno who make one.

Secondhand is always a good option but avoid Team Durango now. They break arms and since the demise of Durango you can't get them anymore, so the guys running Durango all have white 3d printed arms, which still break. Any of the other race brands should be good though.

If you aren't having to comply with a race class it could be worth looking for 8th electronics for it, they will be a lot less stressed. 4wd are worse but the 2wd still burn out more motors than buggies because of the weight. You can run 4 pole or 550 sized motors too, worth a look at those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too am curious and have been eyeballing the Arrma Senton and Axial Yeti Score. Anybody have one, or heard anything good/bad about them?

• Thanks 1

I have read good things about the Arrma Sentons, but haven't looked deep into them to read about weak spots. The brushed and brushless versions are totally different trucks.

The Yeti Score is considered a desert truck with it's solid rear axle. The are supposed to be fun, but are a more scale driving truck. Not to say they can't jump good, but will sometimes "donkey kick" and send your nose into the ground. They look really cool. It may be that the jump issues are rare, so maybe others can chime in.

• Thanks 1

I currently have an SC10, 2wd Slash, and an Ofna Hyper 10sc.

For 2wd modified SCT racing the SC10 is my choice, but, it depends on what rules are in place in terms of motors, tires, and mods you can have for a specific class.

I suppose you could get the Slash to run as well as an SC10 but it would involve changing quite a few things. For the SC10 I just threw in an old EzRun 9T, upgraded shocks, and track appropriate tires.

One thing I have noticed is most tracks have beginner friendly classes for the Slash. There are usually at least a completely stock, along with a modified but only with Traxxas parts class that are setup as a way to get into racing without having to spend a small fortune on hop-ups to be competitive. The class I ran the Slash in allowed the Traxxas Velineon motor, big bore shocks, but stock wheels and tires. I have to admit that it was fun running in a class where everyone was running pretty much the same hardware and I learned quite a bit about how to tune the few things we could change.

The only other advantage a Slash would have is the thing is nearly indestructible, and being waterproof, is great for bashing around.

The Hyper 10sc is a completely different animal, being more like a scaled down electric conversion of a 1/8 nitro buggy than scaling up an electric 1/10, along with the extra costs for parts and motor/ESC setup. I got the Ofna years ago and before Associated came out with the SC10 4x4 or I probably would have gotten that instead.

On 8/26/2018 at 7:12 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

At a couple of the track days I have been to this year most of the guys have a Short Course Truck to run as well as Tamiyas. Slash, ECX and the like. Getting a bit of an itch for one but know very little about them. I have read up a bit and a lot of them look like big versions of race buggies, which is cool. I think I would prefer 2wd as it's more fun to drive. Not looking for new, but some recommendations would be good. Seen a couple of Associated SC10s for sale. Not really into getting a Traxxas unless someone can persuade me it's worth the money. Don't know anything about other brands. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone.

In 2wd I really like the Team Losi Racing 22SCT line.   They seem to me to be a little more durable than the Associated line,  but the Associated line does seem to be a little faster.

IMHO, the most important thing is local part support, whatever your local shop stocks. 

The slash would need several hop ups to get semi competive unless it is in a slash only class. 

• Like 2

I have 2 of the turnigy SCT 2wd short course trucks.  They are only about £70 from hobbyking and are absolutely fantastic.  Mine were self assembly kits.  The build was faultless.  Metal transmission metal big bore dampers.  I have a 10.5 brushless in mine and they fly on an 8.4 NiMH.  Seriously don't be out off by the price.  The body is a little fragile but can be reinforced with duct tape.  They are a direct copy of the kyosho Ultima SCT except with a stronger transmission due to the all metal gearing.  Check them out at hobbyking.  Spares are also dirt cheap.

• Thanks 1

Associated SC6.1 is out and it's solid - built for racing and tough enough to withstand *bashing.

Kyosho RB7 just came out, does this mean that the "SC7" is coming soon? I dunno, but I bet it'll be good when/if it ever shows up.

TLR - whatever.

Traxxas Slash - we see a few of 'em at the track and good driver can make the car competitive with the LCG chassis.

If it were me and I didn't want to wait for a new Kyosho, then I'd run the Associated SC6.1. SC5M was a great car that just didn't support a laydown trans and the 6 fixes that problem. Car should be good on carpet or dirt now, as a result. Here in the states, parts are abundant and plentiful. If you're racing at a track sans Associated support, Petit RC will at least have setup sheets that you can look at. Overall, if racing is what you're after the, SC6.1 is a winner.

/ *bashing - the SC6.1 probably isn't the best basher, but if keep from running into trees and smashing in to big rocks, it'll likely be just fine.

I'd recommend one of the 'race' grade trucks purchased second hand.

Let someone else buy the new kit, hop-ups, spares and sell it at a substantial loss. B)

Losi XXX-SCT was the first one I bought. Brushed RTR. (new)

Changed springs, shock oil weight, fitted rear sway bar, and filled diff with oil.

Solid and easy to drive truck.

Brushed motor burned out and fitted 9T BL.

That was fun!

Now has a 10.5T BL.

Next was a TLR 22SCT (pre-ordered before release)

Can't remember exactly what hop-ups are fitted off the top of my head, but spent a lot on it :rolleyes:

10.5T BL, fantastic truck. Favourite one.

AE SC10 (second hand)

A few hop ups - nothing substantial.

10.5T BL.

I'd rate it similar to the XXX-SCT.

Hobao (OFNA) Hyper 10SC (second hand) wouldn't buy another.

Losi SCTE (second hand) fully hopped up, National Title winning chassis - but wasn't me driving it :lol:. Awesome truck.

The last two 4wd obviously and completely different beasts.

2wd SCT is great fun, competitive shoulder to shoulder racing.

A well vented body is a must to reduce parachuting, but can make them flimsy.

Ask five people what brand they prefer, and you'd probably get five different answers.

Local parts support should be a consideration in what brand you go with.