Andreascanr

Upgrade to ball bearings on QD monster beetle

Hi!

Hope I’m posting in the correct place. Otherwise I would appreciate directions.

I’ve got a QD Monster beetle from the early nineties. It has nylon bushings (I think thats what they are called). I have now bought ball bearings for it and I am going to install them. Four on the front wheels I understand and two on the back wheels. Where are the other two going? Inside the gearbox?

How hard is it to change those two? Is it easy or can I accidentaly break something? Where do I open the car to access the last two nylon bushings?

thanks in advance!

Andreas

Easy peasy, I will lead you to a thread that will help,,,... The four? on the back are inside the gearbox, in the plastic axle tube, to support the metal axle. I think there are a few on the gears that can be done as well. You can see one in my picture later in this thread. I don't have mine anymore so cant check. Have fun, these are fun trucks.

Thank you but I can’t see the picture (or I don’t understand what picture you mean).

But you are sauing that it’s easy to open it up and change to ball bearings inside the gearbox?

The gears aren’t going to fall out or something when I open it?

I thought. What the heck, how hard can it be so I tried it and I succeded!! 

My girlfriend asked if changing to ball bearings was actually necessary and I told her it’s a childhood dream. I was drooling over the catalog with bearings, studded tires and oil dampeners. Now as an ”adult” I could afford it. :-)

It feels a little bit faster....maybe :-)

Thanks for the help!

• Haha 1

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum and just recently bought myself a monster beetle as well. Its fun to play around with in terrain and have done so a few times already.

Andreascanr: Is it more imaginary that the speed is enhanced because you know it is supposed to go better? I have bought the bearings myself and will add them one day this winter as a small project. Regarding the gearbox also, did you have to take everything apart from each other to be able to switch out the bearings inside?

Anyhow this is my version of the car :)

TC_picture.thumb.jpg.f6165d57b3a54acb176ec0f56fc40e7a.jpg

That is a different model. You have the build it yourself kit monster beetle, the original poster was talking about the ready to run quick drive model which has a totally different gearbox.

Aha. so thats what the QD is standing for! I just saw alot of topics and comments with QD, and so far had no clue what it was meaning. :)

I'll probably just begin on it and see how it goes myself. It shouldnt be too much work i guess.

Not much to it the QD gearbox took me more time. 

IMG_20150923_221315.thumb.jpg.881c24fc9ec420ccbeb087446b35fbf7.jpg