Sign in to follow this  
BBB Spread

Tires for Konghead

Just a little curious, but has anyone out there tested aftermarket tires for the Kong head?

Tamiya chevron tires are great all-around, but I was thinking a little bit more about some snow / mud tires for the winter.  

8 hours ago, BBB Spread said:

Just a little curious, but has anyone out there tested aftermarket tires for the Kong head?

Tamiya chevron tires are great all-around, but I was thinking a little bit more about some snow / mud tires for the winter.  

Only one company that really makes tires to fit these wheels and their selection is limited at best. It would make more sense to but some 2.2 wheels to open up your tire options.

Another thing to consider is that with the tight spacing between the middle and rear axles, you need to be careful about diameter, especially if running 4WS and/or a hot motor that might cause ballooning of the tyres. 

Yeah that’s a really difficult one because of the gap between the back tyres. 

I guess you’d only want more traction in mud and snow, everywhere else the truck suffers bad traction roll overs with the stock tyres unless you run really hard suspension. 

Most of the 2.2” stuff of the past has been replaced with larger 2.8” wheels. 

On top of that there is few aftermarket  wheels with the extreme offset of the stock wheels. 

Tricky. 

On 8/31/2018 at 8:27 AM, iluvmud said:

Only one company that really makes tires to fit these wheels and their selection is limited at best. It would make more sense to but some 2.2 wheels to open up your tire options.

I'd be looking to get the tire / wheel package. 2.2 is about right. I'd just need to be careful about the outside diameter of the tires.

These are a bit bigger, so they might rub up against the body. 

I have longer arms so they'd clear the body.  (in this picture, I have both short and long arms attached for comparison)

B3HleJm.jpg

Ah, that took me a bit to dig this up... I knew I had an unused bag.  I used DF02 arms.  (Because Wild Dagger arms were more expensive, and I'm poor...)

It's not a perfect fit.  Where the A-arms meet the C-hubs, there is about 5mm gap.  The steering knuckle would be about the size of the yellow square.  I think I'll use a nut or something to fill the space.  

KY1b6Ie.jpg

These arms are about an inch longer.  So they should articulate much better.  

WXW4sls.jpg

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

Ah, that took me a bit to dig this up... I knew I had an unused bag.  I used DF02 arms.  (Because Wild Dagger arms were more expensive, and I'm poor...)

It's not a perfect fit.  Where the A-arms meet the C-hubs, there is about 5mm gap.  The steering knuckle would be about the size of the yellow square.  I think I'll use a nut or something to fill the space.  

KY1b6Ie.jpg

These arms are about an inch longer.  So they should articulate much better.  

WXW4sls.jpg

Funnily enough I’ve been doing the same (using DF02 arms) on a WR02 chassis with almost identical wheel & tyres. To fill/make up the space in the arms I used the plastic bump stop parts usually used on dampers as they fit perfectly in the space & on the long arm screw.

• Thanks 1