Fabia130vRS

Tamiya F103GT/F104GT MINI, DIY (タミヤ f104gt)

By browsing pictures on google when you type in タミヤ f104gt

You get to see a lot of these being very popular in Japan it seems. basically a short version of a F103GT/F104 to fit 210mm wheelbase.

I would like to do the same with my F103 which I had from spare parts gatherd together. There is a friend who wants to change my f103 front end for his f104 front end, and I am willing to swap just to make this F103GT Mini.

Anybody done something similar? any aftermarket chassis plates or I need to cut somehow something?

Interested to hear the community's ideas how to make this happen the easiest. Also when all information collected I will make a build topic. 

af02429ecf2bd6771abdf0724b47f251.jpgb0edfd12317246ef4358c40c597f6e16.jpg876ca610b88ac251e68f7be0d8bcd3db.jpgIMG_1158.jpggtmini_chassis2.jpg

So basically, F104 front I have it, rear motor mount and other aditional F103GT parts (some already have)

The main question is the front chassis plate. 

• Like 1

To see a car like that handle like an F1 car would almost defy belief.... do it.

• Like 2

I have seen already a time ago a F104 mini on rctech. it had the alfa body, that was the first time I thought thats it, a insane fast to be true M06ish looking F104mini Alfa Sprint. :lol:

well, nice to be true, the F103GT ''CAD'' file seems to be a .2D format, somebody would need to re-draw in 3D .slt format.

I rather would have a plastic tub then to cut my carbon f103 chassis. a F103LM chassis would be good.

32 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

To see a car like that handle like an F1 car would almost defy belief.... do it.

I have found this, but no luck since it seems to be 2D not printable format.

I may also not view it, since there is no FREE viewer toold for this kind of format.

seems I will have to make a drawing on paper and, I like to do such stuff, was good in school back then, but I am missing of understanding and expirience to do it myself. maybe once I get to open the file in some viewer I will pay somebody to replicate it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I have found this, but no luck since it seems to be 2D not printable format.

I may also not view it, since there is no FREE viewer toold for this kind of format.

seems I will have to make a drawing on paper and, I like to do such stuff, was good in school back then, but I am missing of understanding and expirience to do it myself. maybe once I get to open the file in some viewer I will pay somebody to replicate it.

If it is just a plate and you have 2d CAD email it fibre Lyte in the UK. They will cut any 2D shape you like in any thickness. They have done custom parts for me and great value too. 

www.fibre-lyte.co.uk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

If it is just a plate and you have 2d CAD email it fibre Lyte in the UK. They will cut any 2D shape you like in any thickness. They have done custom parts for me and great value too. 

www.fibre-lyte.co.uk

I sent them a email with picture in attachment. Waiting for reply.

I am doing it, should be done before christmas I hope. Since all other projects are going well and finished almost, it is time for a new start. I like this idea more then selling the F103 cheap. But still.. there will be spares left over and the circle starts over:lol:

C0852CC7-7419-4AB7-AD8F-F4D36D21AE79.jpeg

• Like 3

I am sort of not capable to wait. Went to make my own 225mm chassis out of wood until I figure a solution for aluminium or plastic/carbon.

will post pictures later today.

xei36.jpg

13 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

www.fibre-lyte.co.uk

I got a reply from them,  I need this DWB converted to DFX format, so the could cut it and send a price quote.

now software help is what I need. I can send the file to somebody who could convert it, basically, open and then save as... DFX

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

now software help is what I need. I can send the file to somebody who could convert it, basically, open and then save as... DFX

That files seems to be a Varicad file, but the have a free file viewer, and reading the Varied website, it looks like their free viewer will allow you to open Varicad files and convert to dxf format.

From their website:

VariCAD Viewer - Free CAD viewer

VariCAD Viewer is a free viewer, convertor and printing software working with 2D DWG, DXF, 3D STEP and 2D/3D VariCAD file formats. VariCAD viewer allows you to convert DWG to DXF and vice-versa, convert STEP to 3D IGES or STL formats, print 2D DWG, DXF or VariCAD formats and use batch print or batch conversions. VariCAD viewer offers settings of 3D display methods (like light source or perspective). 3D display can be also exported into high-resolution bitmap file.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

That files seems to be a Varicad file, but the have a free file viewer, and reading the Varied website, it looks like their free viewer will allow you to open Varicad files and convert to dxf format.

From their website:

VariCAD Viewer is a free viewer, convertor and printing software working with 2D DWG, DXF, 3D STEP and 2D/3D VariCAD file formats. VariCAD viewer allows you to convert DWG to DXF and vice-versa, convert STEP to 3D IGES or STL formats, print 2D DWG, DXF or VariCAD formats and use batch print or batch conversions. VariCAD viewer offers settings of 3D display methods (like light source or perspective). 3D display can be also exported into high-resolution bitmap file.

Well it wont, it is giving an error, trial versions can not  be converted to other.

I sended you a private message with a scetch.

is it able for you on your program to open the file and have a look? I can send it by mail

19 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Well it wont, it is giving an error, trial versions can not  be converted to other.

I sended you a private message with a scetch.

is it able for you on your program to open the file and have a look? I can send it by mail

it could be bug. I don't have a program that will open that file (I'm using Autodesk Fusion 360 on a mac, and I can't install their software either as its windows or linux).

I've done a rough drawing from the image you sent me, and here is a link to a pdf. It will be scaled properly, so print it out and check. It'll probably need tweaking. I also wasn't too sure on the size of the holes, so I set them to 3 mm.

http://vintagerc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/F104GT_chassis_plate.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogi-bear said:

it could be bug. I don't have a program that will open that file (I'm using Autodesk Fusion 360 on a mac, and I can't install their software either as its windows or linux).

I've done a rough drawing from the image you sent me, and here is a link to a pdf. It will be scaled properly, so print it out and check. It'll probably need tweaking. I also wasn't too sure on the size of the holes, so I set them to 3 mm.

Thank you, I made a few copies on paper, will check the holes later when I get home. 3mm is ok. It is missing 2 holes for now what I see. From the lowest hole up 55mm in same line. Will check the front when I get home.

344biwk.jpg

23 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

That files seems to be a Varicad file

From their website:

I have read this, it says, DWG to DFX and other way around. But I have. DWB, seems to be a varicad only extension. And it will not allow me to save in any other format.

9 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

I have send a PM, I quickly unfortunately not much time. But did take correct measures, look closely not all are from center of hole, only two holes on top are 4mm the rest 3mm is ok.

I am really excited about this. Mostly as I am going for 225mm wheelbase for the Alfa body, Field One conversion kit was 210mm for the cooper, have also been considering a mx5 body. 

3355ft5.jpg

Today teh first order for parts of this little chassis went out.

rcMart:

•  Yeah Racing Aluminum Axles For Tamiya M05 M06 
  • Tamiya (#51242) TA05 B Parts (Bumper)
  • Tamiya (#51243) F103GT Gear Case Set

Tamico:

• F103GT Rear Wheel Mount (R.) 51231
  • F103GT Rear Wheel Mount (L) 13455938
  • LOWER DAMPER MOUNT 14035029
  • Distance Spacer 8x16mm 3455376

Still need and will order another day, credit card hits limit haha.

• Tamiya F104 F parts (front) 51381
  • Tamiya F104 Coated king pin 54160
  • F103GT Front aluminium knuckles

For now it should be enough to keep me going with this project, big thanks again @yogi-bear for the drawings, will send the file to be cut as soon as I get it.

And I think the choice for body will be a Mazda MX5, it is cheaper and for a first try perfect, been on a drive with my real car yesterday and saw this...

71syOXRNdIL._SX355_.jpg

Then I got the great idea, will make a F104GT Mini with a Mazda Roadster body, and will add a scale ''roof rack'' on the trunk with a small box where  I can place the skyrc GPS inside. :lol:

it will be lit, stay tuned. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 7:38 AM, Fabia130vRS said:

I sent them a email with picture in attachment. Waiting for reply.

I am doing it, should be done before christmas I hope. Since all other projects are going well and finished almost, it is time for a new start. I like this idea more then selling the F103 cheap. But still.. there will be spares left over and the circle starts over:lol:

C0852CC7-7419-4AB7-AD8F-F4D36D21AE79.jpeg

Hi! I made that F103GT Mini conversion. That's my chassis (and car) in the photo.

The first chassis I made was for M wheelbase. Also made another chassis for S wheelbase.

Here's a pic of it with the body on.

Everything was pretty much hand made. I had very little power tools. The chassis is an FRP I hand-laid, then cut/filed to size. No CAD. No CNC. Just used basic engineering skills. LOL.

The front is pretty straight forward. Just use F104 arms. The tricky bit is that the original F103GT kingpins I think are too long for M wheels. (I'm using nitro foam tires so I have no problem). The rear end is also tricky. You need to cut the axle to length. The left side is simple. Just make a shorter spacer. I used some leftover plastic I had.

The right side is difficult. You need to machine the original F103GT diff to shorten it.

Also made a new bumper out of plastic sheet. This way, I could reposition the body posts closer to the chassis. The original F103GT bumper was too long.

402673_10150492237276962_841802023_n.jpg

407221_10150492237751962_856441330_n.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/6/2018 at 4:54 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

Today teh first order for parts of this little chassis went out.

rcMart:

•  Yeah Racing Aluminum Axles For Tamiya M05 M06 
  • Tamiya (#51242) TA05 B Parts (Bumper)
  • Tamiya (#51243) F103GT Gear Case Set

Tamico:

• F103GT Rear Wheel Mount (R.) 51231
  • F103GT Rear Wheel Mount (L) 13455938
  • LOWER DAMPER MOUNT 14035029
  • Distance Spacer 8x16mm 3455376

Still need and will order another day, credit card hits limit haha.

• Tamiya F104 F parts (front) 51381
  • Tamiya F104 Coated king pin 54160
  • F103GT Front aluminium knuckles

For now it should be enough to keep me going with this project, big thanks again @yogi-bear for the drawings, will send the file to be cut as soon as I get it.

And I think the choice for body will be a Mazda MX5, it is cheaper and for a first try perfect, been on a drive with my real car yesterday and saw this...

71syOXRNdIL._SX355_.jpg

Then I got the great idea, will make a F104GT Mini with a Mazda Roadster body, and will add a scale ''roof rack'' on the trunk with a small box where  I can place the skyrc GPS inside. :lol:

it will be lit, stay tuned. 

Skip the TA05 bumper. The body mounting points are too far forward for an M body. You need to create your own.

I haven't tried using an F104 kingpin but I'm afraid that it will also rub on M wheels. I'm looking for 30mm - 32mm kin pins so you could put the spring on top of the steering knuckle. This way it will fit the M wheels.

• Like 1

That would maybe be tamiyas special king pin hop up 53119. With that one the spring stays on top. I have a lot of these parts at home already, the ta05 bumper has been already orders but ok. I have a ta05 so I can make use of it. Thank you for the input.

4 hours ago, mailboxck said:

Hi! I made that F103GT Mini conversion. That's my chassis (and car) in the photo.

The first chassis I made was for M wheelbase. Also made another chassis for S wheelbase.

Here's a pic of it with the body on.

Everything was pretty much hand made. I had very little power tools. The chassis is an FRP I hand-laid, then cut/filed to size. No CAD. No CNC. Just used basic engineering skills. LOL.

The front is pretty straight forward. Just use F104 arms. The tricky bit is that the original F103GT kingpins I think are too long for M wheels. (I'm using nitro foam tires so I have no problem). The rear end is also tricky. You need to cut the axle to length. The left side is simple. Just make a shorter spacer. I used some leftover plastic I had.

The right side is difficult. You need to machine the original F103GT diff to shorten it.

Also made a new bumper out of plastic sheet. This way, I could reposition the body posts closer to the chassis. The original F103GT bumper was too long.

402673_10150492237276962_841802023_n.jpg

407221_10150492237751962_856441330_n.jpg

Looks amazing, I am glad to hear that somebody got this done already. I thought about making my own, a dremel is your best friend here, my dremel died, need to get a new one. 

I am first looking ti get the plate done some how, and then I am hoing to have a look at the width, I know it is not going to be the same front rear width. But I will get to it ones I put it together. Will make a body post like the field one has.

when I get to the build proces, I will beed some pictures if you dont mind @mailboxck ? 

The car looks nice and I am glad to see that touring car wheels fit the alfa romeo body. Nice job!

• Like 1

Thanks @Fabia130vRS :) 

Yes, just shoot me a message if you need photos.

The front will be perfect 160mm wide once you fit touring car wheels on the F104 suspension. As for the rear, you need to remove 10mm from either side to make the 180mm F103GT.

I also have special king pin hop up 53119, but it's a few mm short. Maybe you have to shave off some material from the steering knuckles.

Note that I made the chassis wider in the middle. This is to help accommodate the electronics.

• Like 1

Hi mailboxck,

great conversion! I am a big fan of the minis, it would be great to have a GT version.

Right now I have a dismantled F103GT before me. The shorter chassis won't be too hard. Also the shorter rear axle. But I can't imagine how to shorten the diff - the housing won't be a problem and can be sanded down (1st picture), but the adapter it sits on (2nd picture) would have to be shortened, too.

Could you post some pictures what you did to achieve 1cm less length of the diff side? That would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Jan

20180915_123621.jpg

20180915_123647.jpg

NeonScorcher, I can't find my build pics from years ago but you cut off the diff halves where I drew the red lines in the picture below. This removes the original mount for the 11x5 mm bearing so you'll have to re-drill a new 11mm hole. Then you glue them together (I just used clear epoxy) and you end up with a piece that's around 22-23ish mm tall.

gt2.jpg.b03a3249aa29ca118af60202248bea31.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photo by this is what my diff looks like now.

42130549_323799385060672_2755125798447874048_n.thumb.jpg.c0c31541a31e67bdb6f6020d328c001c.jpg

Lastly, you'll need a shorter F104 diff joint that came with with the F104 Aluminum Diff Housing Set (PN 54185). I was able to buy one separately so you don't have to buy the whole thing.

download.jpeg.6f8485ee97c981f13a7b4139788102dd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a neat project.  I've had similar thoughts about using a pan car chassis for M-chassis shells, but my starting point is the RM01 instead.  The motivation is to fit a HPI Lancia Stratos shell on it.

With kit foam tires and wheels the RM01 rear width is 165 mm and the front width is 160 mm.  Wheelbase is 201 mm.

It's 100% possible to replace the foam tires and wheels with M-chassis rubber tires and wheels.  The rear width shrinks to 160 mm, which is the same as the rear width of a M05.  The only problem to solve is the RM01 wheel hexes measure 9 mm across, while the M-chassis wheels have 12 mm hexes.  Some sort of adapter, whether it is 3D-printed or 1.5 mm strips glued in the wheel hex, is required to get the wheel powered correctly without modifying the RM01 axle parts.

The front RM01 king pins do clear inside the M-chassis wheels as well.  Substituting M-chassis wheels/tires for the original kit foam wheels/tires doesn't change the 160 mm width, and it matches the M05 front width.  Hex adapters are needed here as well.  TT01 "A8" parts from the 51318 parts tree are almost perfect; these are 12 mm hexes that are 10 mm thick.  The thickness matches the smooth portion of the front axle stub.  So, one option is to drill out the A8 parts so the center 5 mm hole goes all the way through, then glue the hexes into the wheels, and use a thinner nylon locknut and shim on the outside of the wheels.  Another option is to drill the A8 parts a little from each side so 850 ball bearings can be pressed in, then glue them into the wheels and use a shim and thin locknut.  The other option is to possibly use F103GT front knuckles with the RM01 uprights and kingpins, and then the usual M-chassis axles, bearings, and hexes.  Anyhow, there are options, but most importantly the M-chassis wheels do fit over the RM01 kingpins.

As far as wheelbase is concerned, one option is to simply move the front RM01 uprights forward by 9 mm and drill new holes in the existing chassis.  Then make an extension strip for the front of the existing chassis and tie that into the front holes of the uprights.

I do really like this F103GT/F104 mashup; it's clear a lot of love went into it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mailboxck said:

NeonScorcher, I can't find my build pics from years ago but you cut off the diff halves where I drew the red lines in the picture below. This removes the original mount for the 11x5 mm bearing so you'll have to re-drill a new 11mm hole. Then you glue them together (I just used clear epoxy) and you end up with a piece that's around 22-23ish mm tall.

gt2.jpg.b03a3249aa29ca118af60202248bea31.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photo by this is what my diff looks like now.

42130549_323799385060672_2755125798447874048_n.thumb.jpg.c0c31541a31e67bdb6f6020d328c001c.jpg

Lastly, you'll need a shorter F104 diff joint that came with with the F104 Aluminum Diff Housing Set (PN 54185). I was able to buy one separately so you don't have to buy the whole thing.

download.jpeg.6f8485ee97c981f13a7b4139788102dd.jpeg

Ah, the secret ingredient - a F104 diff joint. That makes it clear, thanks a lot for your help and pictures!

• Like 1