Fizzy

Tamiya 54567 DT-03 CVA Oil Damper Set

So I bought this CVA damper set to fit to my DT02 Holiday Buggy to replace the friction shocks. Assembly is simple enough, instructions are here:

http://www.tamiya.de/CommonFiles/Dickie-Tamiya/PDM_Products/Tamiya/300058587/300058587_Daempfer-Set.pdf

However, the pistons seem to be solid and 1 piece metal piston, and I've seen different CVA sets where you make the piston using the rod and 1-3 hole piston, and people have recommended the 3 hole piston on the front of the DT02 to make the suspension softer, due to the fragile shock tower

The set does include the 1,2 & 3 hole piston

ykjJzA1.jpg

But why is that? Sorry if this is a stupid question, just trying to get some idea of how this all works

That's Tamiya Logic. There are several dampers sets that have the fixed pistons, for example the most Manta Ray based chassis. You could of course get damper shafts for the front that take the piston discs or if you want to make the front fixed softer take a file to it or drill hole(s) in the metal.

Oh and concerning the front shock tower get the blue alloy brace from Carson that works great.

1856024838_Screenshot_20180903-1235372.thumb.png.c0a5025485fa616b949aad9ee5ce4c40.png

• Thanks 1

I found this when I bought my Racing Fighter kit. It cost me more than a new set of dampers to get the piston rods to convert them to the holed pistons. Based on playing around with various settings I wouldn't worry too much about the metal pistons for now. They'll be a huge step on from your friction shocks. A much cheaper solution is to run the car and see if you need stronger or lighter damping, then buy some extra bottles of oil. You'll get a bottle 350 or 400cst oil plus a bottle of 500cst (to go either side of the Tamiya 400cst oil) for well under a tenner. I would highly recommend buying the Tamiya red o rings before building though. The black o rings aren't up to much. I run 500cst rear and 600cst front in my DT03, with much stiffer rear springs than the kit CVA springs to hold up the rear end and get some better turn in. I use the soft kit front springs though. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Little weight in the front of the DT02 (20-30gram) also works well. But thats more for the lexan shells.

22 minutes ago, waterbok said:

Oh and concerning the front shock tower get the blue alloy brace from Carson that works great.

Can you still get those Carson braces?

You can DIY if you are any good with aluminium or fibre plate. Or make a cross brace between the top shock attachment.

I tend to use different oil thickness as a substitute for the piston discs. You can buy the shafts seperately though and I think the discs are still there on the parts tree.

Might be worth checking the rear shafts to see if they have that dark finish to them too, seems to cause extra friction. I polished mine off with a dremel, cotton wool and everyday car polish. It moved a lot more smoothly after that.