Mokei Kagaku

New: 58660 1/18 Dynahead 6x6 (G6-01TR chassis) and more.

6 hours ago, Juggular said:

I hope they do something cool like below... (from some design company called Caliber 10, I hope they don't mind some free advertising)

yH7Xdad.jpg

Given that the shell is designed by the same chap who did the Dual Ridge, it might very well resemble something like this!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Given that the shell is designed by the same chap who did the Dual Ridge, it might very well resemble something like this!

I could imagine that.  (photo is by Greg Chong, a photographer, I think)

zhd2uwC.jpg

8 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

Two thumbs up for cool and bold new designs... BUT I agree that this seems a little complex for a "fun" chassis, and of course durability will be a big question. If it will be a "trial" truck, it had better survive some serious trials...

It's not that complex, just mini gearboxes where the knuckles should be - I'm not sure of the mechanical advantages of portals over a chassis mounted gearbox reduction, but on most RCs they do at least increase the ride height (by about 1/2 the inner diameter of the wheel)
On the Traxxas though, the ride height advantage was offset by the portals taking up space between the wheels, so what the diff housing missed the portals might hit - that was more to do with how deep the portals went into the wheels than the existence of the portal;

6DE54D1933593BFA7B94AA59C2BA1BF3.jpg

Portals on GMade's R1

gmade.jpg

When you compare how 'crowded' the area is between the inner walls of the tyres compared to the Axial SCX-10 you see the issue clearer;

axid9047_01_1010.jpg

If the G6-01TR has swing arms and portals, there should be loads of belly clearance but at the expense of a slightly higher centre of gravity although if the portals make the track wider then it might not have much effect...

• Like 1

OK, just done a bit of wiki-skimming (so everything from this point is true) and the portals reduce stress on the drivetrain, so durability on the G6-TR should be better than the originals, provided the portals hold up.

If the TR has been redesigned from the portals up, then it could benefit from  a lighter drivetrain etc. thus lowering the COG, but even if they've just binned the knuckles and added portals there'll be benefits - Don't forget though, durability is subjective; these trucks are usually designed around a 27t brushed motor and a 7.2v NiMh stick pack, not a arc reactor/brushless combo :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_axle

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Id love that

Be interesting to see what 'cab over' means to a Japanese designer - To me it means Globe Liner, FC101/Dredd Shed or the truck @Juggular posted

• Like 1

Very interested to see what they do with this. A new body, but 1/18th scale? Hmm...

But really interested in the portals, potentially they'll be compatible with the TL-, WT-, WR-, GF-, at least some of the M- series chassis, and probably others. Hopefully the parts will be available (and not expensive!). All sorts of wonderful mutant builds coming our way.. :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The Body of the Dynahead looks quite ok. Not as spectacular as you might expect but it suits the idea of the model quite well.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, scoobybooster said:

The Body of the Dynahead looks quite ok.

Got a pic?

:( A good description will have to do then - Pick-up bed or closed back like a Dakar/Raid truck?

Raid Truck would be awesome!

So, will this be a really slow driving truck if its for crawling? You can get the Konghead pretty nippy with a Lipo and brushless setup.

23 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

:( A good description will have to do then - Pick-up bed or closed back like a Dakar/Raid truck?

Sorry, still confidential.
But for the moment, i can confirm, it's a lot less tragic than this one: :D

01w.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I hope so! It's a shame so many people moan about the dual ridge simply because it isn't an typical - and safe -  buggy design. I think it looks great!

• Like 1

Its on modelsports website for £279 but no picture yet. This is about 100 mord than the other 6x6 vehicles so hopefully will be something a bit special

Compared to the previous MAN Racing truck, that one looks positively slinky :P It should be great in 1:14!

• Like 1

G6-01TR spec. below. With an indicated price of roughly 40% more than the G6-01, but with friction shocks and plastic bushings, the actual differences between the G6-01 and G6-01TR better be good!

58660.jpg

40% more money!!  Those 6 portal axle ends are $$$

we still need to see what these things look like. 

Yeah I can’t really see what the point of still including friction shocks with anything new Tamiya. Cva’s cant be that expensive to make. I think it’s because they are still printing the TL01 arm sprue which has the friction shock parts included. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 10:54 AM, TwistedxSlayer said:

Friction shocks. WTH? Seriously.

Considering that they'll cost a lot more, friction shocks are disappointing.