Mokei Kagaku

New: 58660 1/18 Dynahead 6x6 (G6-01TR chassis) and more.

I think the portals alone make this interesting enough to buy. Agree that the tires are odd for a trial truck / trail truck / crawler. 

It says the gear ratio with portals is about 35:1. 

What is the gear gear ratio on the normal gf-06?

Both the GF-01 (2 axles) and the G6-01 (3 axles) have FDRs of ~18:1 stock.  With the portal axles it looks like the FDR is closer to a stock CR-01, which is ~40:1.  So, what, half the speed of a Konghead or King Yello?

Still need to verify, but it seems like it will use special axles for the input gear...

Most likely use dog bones...

Which means I can't convert my widened G6-01 with universals installed:(

I also don't see how those 6 portals add another $100 or so to the kit.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they would release a version of a chassis that the current hopups won't work on. 

Maybe I'll just get the body.

I don't know that I've actually posted much, been more of a lurker. I'll have to get that intro stuff posted sooner than  later.

SomewhereI recall reading a compaint about how Tamiya used to be an innovator and is now rehashing and reselling the same stuff in metallic green black special editions.  Sure I wish my black special 40th 934 had anything over the Jager themed car though. I do agree about the re-hashing and irritated that the 37th cc01 still comes with only a small sticker in a generic boxas opposed to the old stylewith a real box, e.g., artwork and presentation.

My thoughts though.The chassis intrigues me. I don't know about the monocoque gearbox... Seems like alot of drivetrain loss. The portals are def. intriguing.  Would a 1/14 KAMAZ or Actros body fit, or a raid 425 Unimog? Do I stock up on Bruder hardbodies?Maybe one of the race truck tt01 bodies. I'd love to see a mock-up if someone has a g601, crawler wheels, a body and a tape measure. Somewhere I have an old Revell kit of a 425 Dakar truck, exo-cage and all.

If I read the box correctly it says 111mm tires which are close enough to any 1.9 scale tire, maybe with the Rc4wd zxl's 52" military tire.

Questions for those that have em, are these kit wheels super high offset, or, would regular crawler wheels tuck in properly. 

100% will buy, with coupon or from HK. Hopefully it will sting less that way

• Like 2

I run my Konghead with a 23t Tamiya bz motor and it has plenty of speed, gears work well

the main issue with the dynahead wheels which I experienced on my gf-01 was the outer wheel rim protrudes out more than the tyre so easily scrapes and scuffs (so wouldn't be worth painting or using chrome plated versions)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Maybe "Legless Laurence" lost his legs in a Landfreeder crash.  :lol:

Probably due to the poor steering, right?

I actually like the body! Looks very Russian, which I guess is the point. It's a good starting point that you can tinker with.

Awful choice of wheels and tires, however. A set of RC4WD wheels and tires would cure that, but it would have been nice to see it come with something short-term usable. As it stands, I see a market flooded with cast-off Dynahead rolling stock before too long. Probably won't be able to give 'em away.

• Like 1

Just realised what this reminds me of. 

I think the body lacks detail. Things like ladders and mirrors etc all the stuff that add a sense of scale to it. I know the get broken off but the end and grill look far too much like a sticker

Easter-Eggs-3.jpg

• Haha 3

I like how it looks, I like the tires. No bearings? No oil shocks? No speed control? No thanks. I'm curious about the price though.

Fusion hobbies with tc discount is approx £200

Hopefully Tamiya now release a six pack of plastic cva rather than having to buy 2 packs of four shocks (2x 53619)

• Like 2

Let me just clarify before I start... I get wacky Tamiya releases. I love them! I have a Kumamon tractor, dump-truck, Konghead, Dancing Rider, as well as 2 TT01s and a CC01.

This thing is not wacky, it's uncharacteristically poorly thought out. The price is too high, the body too boring, the wheels don't match, I don't get it? It's not cute enough for a toy, and too toy-like for any serious scalers.

I'm curious to see how those portals hold up, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really like it but I think the wheels are a bad match, I guess all the budget went into the body and hubs.

I'd definitely consider getting it but I'd go for more scale looking wheels and tyres. I don't mind the size or how far out they are, just the actual design.

So many people whining on facebook that it's not just another Konghead with a different body. Tamiya are damned if they do and damned if they don't sometimes.

wheels would have to do though!

Edit: Although the more I look at it the less the wheels bother me. I think I'd still change them but perhaps my main issue with them is that it just wasn't what I was expecting.

• Like 1

Not to my tastes really, but some significant number of people must have liked it otherwise it wouldn't have made it into production.

Now that the TR chassis is a thing, maybe we'll see another shell or two being released for it - hopefully something more space-age, or more scale. I feel that the current offering is trying to be a compromise between the two, falling between two stools as it were. 

• Like 1

This is a bit of a ‘confused’ model, whilst the wheels and tyres don’t bother me in their design they do strike me as a strange choice for a vehicle that has clear intentions of being more of a crawler/rough terrain vehicle. 

The bodyshell is ok-ish, i’m sure it would look a lot better in a different colour rather than silver. I’m a bit surprised that is being classed as a ‘special design’ though.

Finally the price? Insane! The wheels and body I could live with, the cost over the Konghead (even with portals) kills it as an option for me.

The Dynahead 6x6 takes inspiration from the big trucks used in grueling off-road world of truck trials. The sleek body appears on the G6-01TR chassis, which is based upon the G6-01, with hub reduction axles providing extra height for taking on rougher terrain.

• 1/18 scale 6WD R/C model assembly kit. Length: 453mm, width: 244mm, height: 232mm. Wheelbase: 173+126mm.
  • The cab-over truck body is a special design by Takayuki Yamazaki of PDC Design-works.
  • Hub reduction axles raise ground clearance by 15mm; in conjunction with the traction provided by a 37.35:1 gear ratio (with kit-included 18T pinion), the Dynahead 6x6 has awesome off-road and crawling capability!
  • 5-spoke wheels are paired with V-tread block tires (Item 53854) for superlative bite.
  • With suspension reassembly and a separately-sold transmitter with 4WS function and R/C equipment, the rear wheels can be made steerable.
  • Like 1

I'm a bit surprised at the dislike for this model. For once, this looks like something that would be a real 6x6. The Kong Head is weird but fun in the same way the Bullhead was but the King Yellow just seemed awkward. I've never seen a school bus with 6 axles. I wanted something other than the 100th repackaged CC01 and these 6x6s are certainly different. Glad to see some innovation on the Tamiya front.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m going to make the assumption that wild dagger arms will fit. Unless it doesn’t use TL01 arms, and if so that will be part of the extra cost if the entirety of the suspension is new. 

The reduction gear looks interesting.  The gear ratio for Konghead is 18:1.  So 37:1 ratio is twice the reduction (half the speed).  It has to be a crawler.  But the phone-body looks more like a high-speed desert racer... 

Are those metal gears?  That's rare for Tamiya, but it's a good investment.  We might see this portal gear on other cars.  Or as optional parts too, for something like CC-01?  

If those brass gears don't take bearings, the casing could crack.  I will not buy it.  But if they take 850 bearings, 4x6=24... twenty-four bearings...  I love bearings...  I even have the odd 730 or 630 bearings for MST CFX-W crawler, even though I don't have it (yet).  

Dynahead might take 36 + 42 = 78 bearings total!  Somehow that's an exciting prospect.  While the Grasshopper/Hornet/Lunchbox has only 2 gears, Dynahead will have 36 gears!  That's got to be the most number of gears in any RC car.   Having full bearings would be so important for Dynahead...

CnTGu34.jpg

• Like 2

Have to subscribe to the "don't like" list. For me, wheels and body do not pair well, and it does not look "tamiya cool", it's just a generic "6 wheels with big rims" thing. Glad I have the first G6-01, just wish it had better ground clearance.

• Like 1

It these trial trucks that are supposed to be the inspiration for it - it would be nicer if it looked much more like one as the all seem to have a big chunky roll cage etc. I know all this can be scratch built but it would have been nicer if it was more scale looking

mqdefault.jpg

9573074397_3fd1825cb1_m.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Is it just me?  Those trucks look way cooler than Dynahead. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Is it just me?  Those trucks look way cooler than Dynahead. 

It's the wheels on the dynahead. They look so out of place that they make it look like a kids toy. Those wheels are nice, but they don't look right on this one. If the wheels were more proportionate to the body and maybe even tucked in under the body a little more, it would look better IMO. It needs to look more "scale-crawler" and less "clearance bin at toys-r-us". :lol:

• Haha 2