Mokei Kagaku

New: 58660 1/18 Dynahead 6x6 (G6-01TR chassis) and more.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:54 PM, Juggular said:

If those brass gears don't take bearings, the casing could crack.  I will not buy it.  But if they take 850 bearings, 4x6=24... twenty-four bearings...  I love bearings...  I even have the odd 730 or 630 bearings for MST CFX-W crawler, even though I don't have it (yet).  

Dynahead might take 36 + 42 = 78 bearings total!

I've been studying the pic and I think I can make out 850 bearings behind those brass gears. The casing seems to have a molded-in bearing boss too. Seeing 78 bearings as a prospect is as daunting as ballracing a Hot Shot back in the day, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I've been studying the pic and I think I can make out 850 bearings behind those brass gears. The casing seems to have a molded-in bearing boss too. Seeing 78 bearings as a prospect is as daunting as ballracing a Hot Shot back in the day, lol.

Wow!  You mean you could afford ball bearings back in the 80's?  Nobody could afford them back in the days.  I seem to remember a set of 5 bearings costing half as much as an RC car!  Hotshot needs a lot of bearings! 

8t2LSJ4.jpg

lol... I know what you mean though.  I got my hotshot in 2003 or so.  The previous owner didn't (couldn't) put any.  Chinese RC bearings were just becoming available.  I had to take apart the whole car to install them all.  

At least the HotShot doesn't use weird flanged bearings.  

Willy's M38 takes 3x7(8)x3mm flanged bearings AND 5x8(9)x2.5mm flanged bearings.  [Inner diameter x outer diameter (wider flange diameter) x thickness]   And I couldn't even install them all because I couldn't undo the evil pin that's stuck on the hex adapter.  

5x8(9)x2.5mm flanges were also used on front wheels axles of XR311.  But I needed yet another odd kind of 4x7(8)x2.5mm flanged bearings for the gearbox.  These early cars used all kinds of weird flanged thingies..... 

If Dynahead just uses regular 1150 and 850 only, I'll be happy. (But probably it uses 1150, 850 and 630)  DN01 Zahhak includes two 730 bearings. But I had to replace four other 630 bushings with bearings. (I wondered 'why two different sizes?')  Even MST CFX-W uses 3x6mm bearings and 4x8mm bearings in its portal gears.  The stubs on the brass gears look like 3mm in diameter.  As Saito2 said, it looks like a bearing is hidden behind one.  I see a bearing boss too, good eye!  I'd suspect it is a 630 bearing.   

Waiting for some weird bearings to arrive from Hong Kong (in the middle of a build) is a badword specifically made for RC folks...  That's why I have like 300 bearings of all shapes and sizes, but they always throw in something new...

Fortunately, I already have twenty-six 630 bearings... But the Chinese vendor had sent them in very suspicious-looking bags... "Can I score some bearings, mate?"  

RMY9L7O.jpg

djm5h4g.jpg

x3DLfw6.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Juggular said:

Fortunately, I already have twenty-six 630 bearings... But the Chinese vendor had sent them in very suspicious-looking bags... "Can I score some bearings, mate?"  

RMY9L7O.jpg

Lol  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

technically pre-painted only? 

but yes its still a good price!

Just a random thought (sorry if someone already mentioned it and I missed it), but the bigger (and less favorable) wheels vs the more popular WW2/Lunchie dimension wheels might be required to clear the portal units.

• Like 3

I'm ready. I even like the body.

My Konghead will be sacrificing some parts. I crawled around a bit with it, but I had some issues. Mainly gearing and ground clearance. Solved one, but not the other.  Looks like the TR edition solves both of those problems. Those wheels and tires would be the first things gone. I imagine that they are required to clear the portals as Saito2 said. 

44726515551_3e97e10f13_b.jpg

• Like 2

OSRC, that's an awesome-looking Konghead. Can you share the mods/upgrades you put on it?

Also, what motor are you using? I dropped in an 1800kv sensored motor (into a GF-01, but similar enough gearbox for discussion purposes) and I get pretty good low speed control. That's with the 18t pinion - I have an adjustable motor mount that I need to install, which should allow me to drop teeth on the pinion.

Old school, that's exactly what I was thinking on page 4. Can we see a front shot to see how the width of the body covers the wheels?

58 minutes ago, PoormanRC said:

I'm just in shock over PRICE!!! :o:wacko::blink:  I can get past the Body, even the Wheels (which would go straight into the bin anyway)....  But did I read earlier that it doesn't even come with an ESC???

Holy ****! Plastic Bushings, Pogo Shocks, Shocking Wheels AND no ESC?  Hard to swallow. :( 

Now...... if those Portals fit on my CC-01? Hmmm.....

~ Carmine 💥

I like the idea of the portals but wonder if the brass gears will take the torque with the gear ratio. The axle pins on the brass gears only look to be about 3mm dia. and I can see those shearing off. I'm not a fan of the bodyshell either. It would have looked better with a globe liner cab and an ABS bed on the back.  I also can't understand why they've put low profile road tires on something that is supposed to be an off roader ????? 

And I built this for less than £200, and it's 6wd with a 3 speed box and steel gears in the walking beams the rear axles are driven through.

img33435_23072013221004_1.jpg

img33435_13042013193727_2.jpg

img33435_14042013183422_2.jpg

img33435_14042013183422_3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ah Well not long before we see some alloy replicas of the portals with steel gears ;)

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 5:02 AM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I'm ready. I even like the body.

My Konghead will be sacrificing some parts. I crawled around a bit with it, but I had some issues. Mainly gearing and ground clearance. Solved one, but not the other.  Looks like the TR edition solves both of those problems. Those wheels and tires would be the first things gone. I imagine that they are required to clear the portals as Saito2 said. 

44726515551_3e97e10f13_b.jpg

Nice rig:)
I have a similar concept toy yours too.

did you widen the rig? 
I was afraid that I won't be able to use my widened setup since the portals look like they won't be able to take anything other than the stock dog bones...

• Like 1

It looks like the arms and dogbones are the standard TL-01 items, which means the portals ought to fit the rest of the cars in the same extended family. I wonder what an MF-01X would look like with a set fitted? 

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2018 at 4:37 PM, MadInventor said:

I like the idea of the portals but wonder if the brass gears will take the torque with the gear ratio. The axle pins on the brass gears only look to be about 3mm dia. and I can see those shearing off. I'm not a fan of the bodyshell either. It would have looked better with a globe liner cab and an ABS bed on the back.  I also can't understand why they've put low profile road tires on something that is supposed to be an off roader ????? 

And I built this for less than £200, and it's 6wd with a 3 speed box and steel gears in the walking beams the rear axles are driven through.

img33435_23072013221004_1.jpg

img33435_13042013193727_2.jpg

img33435_14042013183422_2.jpg

img33435_14042013183422_3.jpg

This thing is insane. You deserve your username. Can you please share some vids? Dying to see this in action. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

It looks like the arms and dogbones are the standard TL-01 items, which means the portals ought to fit the rest of the cars in the same extended family. I wonder what an MF-01X would look like with a set fitted? 

I wonder about them on the mf01x but I think that those portals widen the car by at least 1cm so it’s probably not going to help a jimny. Not withstanding to turn a mf01x into a decent crawler we need a bolt on bumper with 400g of weight in it. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, smirk-racing said:

This thing is insane. You deserve your username. Can you please share some vids? Dying to see this in action. 

Here you go, the off road bit with the load of logs is about half way through.:

With a 1/8 brushless motor. Took it out and put the 540 back in after making this video :) :

The full build thread can be found here if you're interested:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67794

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PoormanRC said:

@MadInventor - DITTO!!!!

Dynahead..... Definitely intrigued, but still thinking about getting the Hub pieces, and fitting them to a Konghead. :P

........ since it's going to come with PLASTIC Bushings and Pogo Shocks anyway!!

Tamiya-58660-Dynahead-6×6-G6-01TR-chassis-2.jpg

Tamiya-58660-Dynahead-6×6-G6-01TR-chassis-3.jpg

Tamiya-58660-Dynahead-6×6-G6-01TR-chassis-4.jpg

I can see those portals become a very popular spare part kit. Tamiya will probably put all the gears for the kit into one bag though …...

• Like 1

I really hope they sell them portal separately. I'd love to mount a set onto a TT02T just for the fun of it. I wouldn't do anything sensible with them at all.

What's everyone's issue with the Dynahead wheels and tyres? They seem to be getting some hate.

18 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I really hope they sell them portal separately. I'd love to mount a set onto a TT02T just for the fun of it. I wouldn't do anything sensible with them at all.

What's everyone's issue with the Dynahead wheels and tyres? They seem to be getting some hate.

They're more range rover sport than rock crawler / off roader. If they were on a 1:1 4x4 it would be a 4x4 with no mud on it and only used for the school run :ph34r:

53 minutes ago, MadInventor said:
54 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

They're more range rover sport than rock crawler / off roader. If they were on a 1:1 4x4 it would be a 4x4 with no mud on it and only used for the school run :ph34r:

I disagree mainly because I'm biased towards them having got them on my Levant. And they are GF01 Land Cruiser 😉 so yeah kinda Range Rover-ish. Lol

6 hours ago, MadInventor said:

If they were on a 1:1 4x4 it would be a 4x4 with no mud on it and only used for the school run :ph34r:

That's every full size truck around here where I live. Every one of them is lifted with over-sized shiny wheels and super low profile street tires. They have all of the offroad bolt on's; bumpers, LED light bars, the works. My MX-5 Miata has seen more offroad time than any of these trucks. The only thing they're good at is riding my bumper to show off just how big their trucks are. At one point, I was starting to think my rear-view mirror was broken because every time I looked into it, all I saw was the grill to Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge blinding me with its headlights. This could also be why I dislike the wheels on the dynahead. :lol:

Any guess on the overall height of the portals? Wondering if they will even accommodate a smaller rim -- that may have dictated the wheel choice?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frameskip said:

Any guess on the overall height of the portals? Wondering if they will even accommodate a smaller rim -- that may have dictated the wheel choice?

You very well could be right. Look at this pic that @Juggular posted. That also may limit all of the other chassis' that we'd like to put them on. Everyone may have to start running 2.2/3.0's for a more sidewall look.

djm5h4g.jpg

• Like 1

I have pre-ordered one today, but will be building it spring next year!

Will go nicely with the kong and yellow 

• Like 2